speed or incline

Options
I am new to the treadmill. I have been able to do 20 minutes a day on a regular bases. I am now looking for a challenge.
Do I increase my speed or do I increase the incline. The calories but really is not import, it would be nice. Which one is best for the overall fitness?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Both are good for different reasons. Sometimes increase the speed to increase your stamina. Other times increase the incline to increase leg strength. SOometimes just keep the incline at 0 and run easy for general aerobic adaptations.
  • grina008
    Options
    I think incline is better than the speed because your working harder to get up the hills watch you burn more calories
  • Kimbee1974
    Options
    Training on an incline will also help increase your speed on flat ground.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that adding an incline whether walking or running helps with weight loss as well it helps tone your legs as it adds more resistance.

That is how I started with my treadmill, a brisk walk on a slight incline. As I got stronger I slowly increased BOTH my speed and incline. I got horrible shin splints at the beginning because I pushed myself too hard too fast so be careful and start off slow!

Now I do a high-intensity treadmill workout which is a mix of walking and sprinting. I now go to about a 4 or 5 incline when I power walk and I lower it to a 1 incline when I run/sprint as it is just too hard on my knees.

The beauty of a treadmill is you have so many options with the speed and incline so mix it up a bit everyday!
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I like to find a good rhythm, and increase the incline every couple of weeks. Best of both worlds!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've heard that incline is more effective than flat ground at higher speeds, but I think it's really your preference. Either way you'll get a good workout!
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would do both! Sprints are the BEST one can do, so go as fast as you can and add some incline.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I do 45 min 3x a week an incline of 12.5-14 ( I up it every 10 min during the workout by .5) That still kicks my butt afer 45 min, but now I go do crunches when before I could barely hoble off the treadmill...
  • hoopsterdad
    hoopsterdad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've read that somehow treadmills are actually calibrated at a bit of a decline and as such they suggested that flat is about 1.5. I agree that the best workout seems to be a nice combo of speed and incline. Maybe give intervals a try. 2 minutes at a high speed and then back it off for a bit of a recovery.
  • sasers
    sasers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do both...but more incline vs speed. Be careful though if you have trouble with your knees. I am up to 6% incline but have knee aches lately. When I backed off on the incline to 4 %, the pain went away. I hope to work my way back up to 6%. My max speed for now is only 3.2 but I hope to increase that soon.
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommends intervals, high speed at 0 incline for 5 minutes, then lower speed at 12 incline for five minutes. Just go back and forth. Your body won't get used to it that way.
  • SaraA07
    SaraA07 Posts: 43
    Options
    I love putting the incline up to 8 on the tredmill and then I walk at a brisk pace for 5 minutes then run for 1 minute. I keep alternating between the two untill I'm done with however long I wated to do cardio for.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am doing an automated incline pattern (rolling hills) that raises and lowers the incline while getting me up to a steady 4.5 km/hr., with warm up and cool down that start and end at about 2.5 km/hr. The incline goes up to a five, then down, and up to a six. This is my max, and I wear elastic knee guards because my knees have been complaining, and they have been known to fall out of joint. Doing an hour a day.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Does the treadmill have those pre-set workouts? My husband likes the weight loss option on ours...it mixes up both speed and incline. I prefer speed to incline; when I increase my incline above 3, I have pelvic joint pain.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommends intervals, high speed at 0 incline for 5 minutes, then lower speed at 12 incline for five minutes. Just go back and forth. Your body won't get used to it that way.

I will have to do this....Can you make the treadmill do it automatically?
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    it depends on your goals:

looking to drop body fat? HIIT at a medium incline
    looking to increase stamina/endurance? low incline moderate speed
    looking to tone legs, not lose gains/muscle, work your butt? highest incline, slower speed
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if i was doing 20 mins a day on the treadmill (God forbid) my first goal would be to double my workout time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

double post
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i tried incline yesterday for the first time, I gradually went up to the maximum of 15 (degrees or percent? which is it?)
    and WOW! did it wear me out and send my pulse alot higher than staying flat.
    :smile: but that was only a test, today im gonna try more moderate inclines like half that (7.5%)
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    i tried incline yesterday for the first time, I gradually went up to the maximum of 15 (degrees or percent? which is it?)
    and WOW! did it wear me out and send my pulse alot higher than staying flat.
    :smile: but that was only a test, today im gonna try more moderate inclines like half that (7.5%)

I hope it goes well for you. Congratulations on trying something new. You have a great smile! Keep it up.