can I eat the same number of calories everyday?

Options
Hi I would just like to know whether it's possible to eat the same amount of calories every day and still loose weight? I've heard of multiple different diets which state that you need to vary your intake from day to day in order to continue weight loss? They state that eventually your body becomes used to a certain amount of calories and will no longer loose weight? Is this true or is it perfectly acceptable to keep my net calories consumed constant? I'm new at this so need a little guidance. Thank you :smile:

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It comes down to calories in versus calories out

If you are eating less than your daily "out" you will lose weight, you only have to look at any refugee or concentration camp photos to see this is a fact

However same day in & day out, in an advanced Western country, where we luckily have options on what we eat, may become boring & perhaps lead to a spot of binge eating
  • marshall_lovee
    Options
    It comes down to calories in versus calories out

If you are eating less than your daily "out" you will lose weight, you only have to look at any refugee or concentration camp photos to see this is a fact

However same day in & day out, in an advanced Western country, where we luckily have options on what we eat, may become boring & perhaps lead to a spot of binge eating

Thankyou, I tend to vary my foods but make sure to keep my over all net the same, hopefully this will work for me.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You should recalculate your caloric intake every 5-10 pounds, too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Um. What net is that? Why are you trying to lose weight? Your profile says you are a recovered anorexia who weighs 123lbs but is trying to lose 28lbs... I'd really suggest you get some counseling or talk to a doctor.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Um. What net is that? Why are you trying to lose weight? Your profile says you are a recovered anorexia who weighs 123lbs but is trying to lose 28lbs... I'd really suggest you get some counseling or talk to a doctor.

This x 100.

123lbs is a very healthy weight, if you're unhappy with your body still, instead of trying to lose weight I would suggest eating at a slight calorie surplus and take up some resistance training after speaking with your GP.

Just as an aside you can make an appointment with your GP and ask for him or her to refer you to a dietician, who will be able to walk you through how to maintain a healthy weight and how to eat best to your goals and body type. Don't accept speaking to a nutritionist. Not to offend anyone who might be a competent nutritionist, but they're usually about as knowledgeable on a healthy diet as a spoon.
  • marshall_lovee
    Options

I do go to counselling, and I am being supervised by him, he isn't concerned by my weight loss but thank you I just feel like I could do with loosing weight, although my bmi says I'm healthy, I believe that I do need to loose weight x
  • marshall_lovee
    Options

This x 100.

123lbs is a very healthy weight, if you're unhappy with your body still, instead of trying to lose weight I would suggest eating at a slight calorie surplus and take up some resistance training after speaking with your GP.

Just as an aside you can make an appointment with your GP and ask for him or her to refer you to a dietician, who will be able to walk you through how to maintain a healthy weight and how to eat best to your goals and body type. Don't accept speaking to a nutritionist. Not to offend anyone who might be a competent nutritionist, but they're usually about as knowledgeable on a healthy diet as a spoon.

Thankyou for the advice, I will make an appointment asap, I think that I would really benefit from being properly educated about nutrition and supported in order to achieve my goals, thankyou x
  • marshall_lovee
    Options
    You should recalculate your caloric intake every 5-10 pounds, too.

thankyou, I will do this to keep on top of things x
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the advice, I will make an appointment asap, I think that I would really benefit from being properly educated about nutrition and supported in order to achieve my goals, thankyou x

You're welcome. You also don't have to tell your GP about your eating disorder, but if you pop in for a general check-up while you're in there it's a good idea to let him or her know so they can be pretty comprehensive and give you a clean bill of health before you start changing your diet and getting into different types of exercise.

Obviously tell the dietician, they'll have some experience with that sort of thing.

Best of luck.
  • marshall_lovee
    Options

You're welcome. You also don't have to tell your GP about your eating disorder, but if you pop in for a general check-up while you're in there it's a good idea to let him or her know so they can be pretty comprehensive and give you a clean bill of health before you start changing your diet and getting into different types of exercise.

Obviously tell the dietician, they'll have some experience with that sort of thing.

Best of luck.

Will do, thank you for the help, good luck with your weight loss as well :smile: