Confused about calorie intake...

Options
I am kind of new to counting calories... I know it should be easy, but my one question is....Should I be eating all of my alloted calories for a day, or is it okay to have some extra? I noticed on some of the other things I've read that some people say you have to eat ALL of your calories, but do I even have to make sure i'm eating the ones I'm burning? I think I just need some clarification... I on average walk/bike/jog for at least 45 minutes to an hour each day... sometimes more... should I be eating all of those calories back if i've burned them off? I'm not even sure if I make sense right now, but someone help me please! :)

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many 'some' is and how often you're not meeting your goal. You should be tracking your exercise calories too (most people aim to eating back about 80% of these). Many people will leave 100-150 cals over at the end of the day just in case something has been incorrectly logged/weighed etc. You don't want to leave too much over, as too much of a deficit could start to negatively effect your health.
  • jenniferjaclyn
    Options
    It does vary.... So basically what you're saying is that If I start the day with 1700 calories, and then I exercise, I add another 400 calories (I'm just saying these numbers for the sake of saying) Then I should be eating 2100 calories during the day in order to still lose weight?
  • suzzinkmartin
    Options
    I've found for me it depends on what those calories are as well. My daily goal is 1300 and somedays with no exercise, I may end up with only 1100 which of course is too few for anyone and it gives me a message. I could easily eat a bar of some sort but I try to watch the make-up of the calories and ear smartly. With 1300 as a goal, sometimes I can add 1000 calories in exercise depending on the training day or race day but I generally will try to only add around 700 of them eating. Hope this makes sense. Biggest thing is to track yourself and see what works for you. Good luck!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It does vary.... So basically what you're saying is that If I start the day with 1700 calories, and then I exercise, I add another 400 calories (I'm just saying these numbers for the sake of saying) Then I should be eating 2100 calories during the day in order to still lose weight?

Providing your logging ACCURATELY, both calories eaten and exercise calories, then yes. If your MFP weight loss daily target was 1700 and you burnt 400 then eating 2100, provided your accurate as I mentioned, then you'll still lose your desired weight.

Some people prefer to eat back only half but that's totally down to you.

Hope this helps.
  • jenniferjaclyn
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL! I think it makes sense now... I have been losing, and I think I'm doing this the right way, its been about a month, I have a long way to go and I'm still trying to learn the science of it all!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL! I think it makes sense now... I have been losing, and I think I'm doing this the right way, its been about a month, I have a long way to go and I'm still trying to learn the science of it all!

Your not alone. I'm learning everyday on this site. Don't be afraid to ask questions.