periods have stopped?

Options
Hey just wondering has anybody else had their period stop when they are exercising and cutting down to 1500 calories? I have lost 37.5 pounds in 4 months but I haven't had a period in that time. Is this normal?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor!!!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    It would be a good idea to go get it checked out.
  • sarabreck
    sarabreck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have put your body into starvation mode, and need to increase your calorie intake. Extreme calorie deficits may help you drop pounds quickly, but it will not help you keep the weight off in the long run.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Funky things happening with period = Go see a doctor.

There are WAY too many factors with periods to just look at one or two factors, and no one on the internet is going to have enough information to help you with that.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Amenorrhea? Hormonal imbalances? Starvation Mode?
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have put your body into starvation mode, and need to increase your calorie intake. Extreme calorie deficits may help you drop pounds quickly, but it will not help you keep the weight off in the long run.

Well, 17 kg is not that much, it's somewhat a kilo a week. But see a doctor. If you don't get your period it is maybe not the calorie-intake but the nutrition.

Edit: and there are zillion other reasons for not having a period, but the fact that topic starter is losing weight, this is quite likely.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    It's called amenorrhea/amenorrhoea (sp?) and not healthy. Please visit doc. This happened to me when I was training for marathon when I was much younger, and my body fat got too low to support a pregnancy. Has all kinds of hormonal and bone density implications.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    There are many athletic women to whom this happens. Also, there are some women who do not eat enough food and lose a whole lot of weight fast to whom it happens. Having said that, you should see a doctor to rule out pregnancy and other things that could be going on.

It's not "normal" in normal exercise and normal weight loss. But it happens frequently in the cases I've described.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor!!!

For real! Go see a doctor. Unless your exercising to the extreme or really starving something needs to be addressed medically. Or, you may be preggers and you need a doctor for that too.
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey just wondering has anybody else had their period stop when they are exercising and cutting down to 1500 calories? I have lost 37.5 pounds in 4 months but I haven't had a period in that time. Is this normal?

I had this over the past month. I was eating 1580 and walking 2 miles three times a week. I have only missed one period (negative HPTs obviously), but am due for another next week. If I miss that, I plan to see my doctor. You should probably do the same. Better be safe than sorry.
  • avimoo
    avimoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am consuming 15oo calories and walking 3.5 mile 5 times a week. Maybe I should cut down on the exercise?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Based on the information you've provided (very very very little), NO ONE can or should tell you anything other than: check with your doctor.
  • l0l0p
    l0l0p Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey avimoo.I got the same problem as you.i didnt get my period for 2 months...
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    amenorrhea
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    The best possible thing you could do is just ask a bunch of randos on the internet and wait to get the response you are looking for.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Not a question to ask on here; seek medical advice from a doctor! Edit: More specifically a gynecologist!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    diva cup?
  • avimoo
    avimoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just want some advice from people who have had similar problems. There is no need to be rude. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, and therefor I am unqualified to answer this question. Can you ask a different question?