When do you weigh yourself?

Options
When do you weigh yourself during the day? When I weigh in the morning it always says less then what it says in the afternoon. I was just wondering what is correct? The morning or afternoon?

Replies

• fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There is no "correct" as they are both accurate for what you weigh at that time. In order to monitor your weight you should weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you go to the toilet and naked. That way the variables are all as level as possible.
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning (after I have gone to the bathroom of course ;) ) The evenings you'll generally weigh more because you have ate and drank food all day.
  • KariNich85
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning when I wake up, after I go to the bathroom and before I eat or drink anything. As long as you weigh yourself around the same time of day, your weight loss will be consistent.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    The other posters are correct. In the morning after using the restroom, naked, and before you have eaten or drank anything. I have also found that I weigh less on Saturday mornings. Maybe this is because I get more rest the night before than during the week. Speaking of which, I need to take myself to bed. Hope this helped!!
  • Anna19911
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! I tend to weigh myself alot during the day and get really frustrated when the numbers are always changing! I'll make sure to just weigh in the morning!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I get weighed at my weight loss meeting on Wednesday evening. I wear clothes and eat throughout the day. Since it's a consistent time, I don't worry about it, after all, I'm just looking for a downward trend. Consistency is really the key.
  • JanShaw1
    Options
    I always weigh myself in the morning and my doctor says that's the best time for everyone to weigh themselves plus it's a nice boost when you see what a better result you get first thing in the morning
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    As long as you are consistent with whenever you weigh yourself, it shouldn't matter too much. Just don't weigh yourself one week in the morning and the next week in the evening, and then the next week in the afternoon. :)

I personally weigh myself as soon as I wake up.
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The scale is like my crack, I tend to weigh in 3 or 4 times a day :frown:

The one that counts though is like a tue, wed, or thurs morning. It's mid week and any extra heavy food consumed during the weekend is out of the system.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I notice when I started dieting I was weighing myself like 3-4 times a day....every time I stepped foot into the bathroom, and in one day my weight can easily fluctuate by about 7-8lbs. That's REALLY upsetting, to get up in the morning, and in the afternoon weigh almost 8lbs heavier.

So I decided this go around I'm only going to weigh myself in the morning, and only on selected "weigh in" days. I'm trying to go with not weighing myself except for once every 2 weeks, and only going off measurements in between, that way I don't get obsessed with the scale.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I do it Tuesday morning, after going to the bathroom and after showering. I do it naked after drying off and before I eat or drink anything. I do it on Tuesday so that any mistakes I made on the weekend I can try to make up for on Monday. :drinker:
  • runrgrrl
    runrgrrl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ladies, the worst thing you can do is obsess with the scale...I know, we all have done it. It is EVIL!! If you must weigh yourself only do it once a week, preferably thursday because if you have eaten any junk at all or had any alcohol on the weekend you need that time for the body to flush out the extra sodium being held in the body...this is the majority of weight fluxuations throughout the day!

It is, though, a sign that our body is retaining fluids, or that we might have had a too heavy lunch or skipped workout. It can also mean our digestion works slower, but under no circumstance should we start worrying about our expanding belly.

“A weight fluctuation of three to five pounds over the course of a day is completely normal and doesn’t suggest that you’ve gained weight. Weight can be temporarily affected by things like the amount of fluids you’ve consumed, the timing of your last work-out, or (how to put this?) the status of your digestive processes. It’s best to weigh yourself at the same time of day.

REMEMBER THIS;
    A liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds, so you can see that a meal can increase your weight by a few pounds, at least temporarily...try to not get hung up on the scale...it will fail you more often than it will delight you.
  • scoutwes
    scoutwes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning before eating anything.
  • sydcocktail
    Options
    I've always heard to weigh yourself about the same time of day every time you weigh yourself. And don't weigh yourself everyday. Your weight does vary on a daily basis and you'll drive yourself insane. lol. I've done it so I know. LOL. Definitely weigh yourself after you go to the bathroom, naked and before you eat or drink anything for that day. Best of luck to you!