Diabetics - low carb diets? New to this (kind of)

Options
I had gestational diabetes with 2 of my pregnancies, including my last one. I have been feeling horrible lately so my doctor had me get blood work to see if my thyroid was acting up or if my gestational diabetes had turned into type 2.

Well, my thyroid is fine but I was diagnosed with diabetes. I was able to control my blood sugar during my pregnancies with diet alone. However, since I am going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life, my doctor suggested that I switch my diet to low carb to get my blood sugar under control.

She suggested South Beach or Atkins then told me that I would lose weight but could not look at these as just temporary diets, but a new way of life. Her words were "You will lose weight, but you can't look at this like going on a diet, you'll be changing your lifestyle. It will be for the rest of your life, not until you drop a few pounds."

I'm pretty overwhelmed by this. More overwhelmed than I probably should be.

If you have diabetes would you suggest low carb? Looking at the Atkins plans it looks pretty strict!

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Atkins is pretty strict for the Induction phase which is only supposed to last for 2 weeks or so then you begin to reintroduced carby foods. I controlled mine with diet for awhile, then added metformin, then added insulin. Honestly losing the weight was the best thing I did for my type 2. My last a1c was in the normal range. My doctor took me off the insulin and I've cut back on the metformin as well. So far my sugars are staying around 4.7 to 5.6 before meals and within 2 hours after they're back to that level. I eat carbs, I just try not to eat all the carbs at one sitting.

Listen to your doctor, try to get a referal to a dietician who specializes in diabetic patients. A dietician will be able to give you a decent guideline for how many grams of carbs to eat per meal.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It might seem a bit strict but it is worth it. I am pre-diabetic and insulin resistant so I am eating low carb now to prevent it from turning into full blow type II diabetes. I am doing a very low carb diet which is basically Atkins Induction but full time instead of just two weeks. I watched videos, read studies, read blogs and forums all about people who have completely reversed their symptoms and are medication free even 20 years later just by eating low carb. They have to stay low carb for the rest of their lives but it seem well worth it to me!!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic. You can have carbs, just the right carbs. Look for foods in the low glycemic scale. Follow the "no white" rule. Atkins, in my opinion, is no bueno.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic and have done very well on low carb. The thing is that what works for me, may not work for you, and vice versa. For instance, I can't eat onions in any way shape or form. Plenty of other diabetics will have no trouble with them. I have noticed that as my weights come down and my fitness level has improved I've been able to add some carbs back into my diet without a noticeable change in my blood glucose. Obviously, I'm not out celebrating the return of the twinkie, but I've been able to tolerate a slice or bread, and a potato here and there.
  • Ron_N_Texas
    Ron_N_Texas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation from herblackwings about getting the referral to a registered dietician who specializes in working with diabetic patients. I was recently sent to a dietician who put me on a carb counting diet of 175g max per day (45g max for 3 meals and two 20g snacks). She also recommended MFP to me as a way of tracking my eating. The diet was tailored to the foods that I was already eating. It's been a real change but I'm gradually adjusting. It does give me a sense that I am in better control of both my weight and blood sugar levels but I'm not there yet.

Also, I think Gearjammer71's comments underscores the fact that diabetes is an individual disease. The more you experiment to find out how foods affect you the more in control you will feel. No doctor or dietician can fine tune things for you like you can for yourself.

So far, at 175g per day, I'm not normally hungry, I think because, I've been getting at least 30 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week. I'm gradually losing weight. I wasn't given any calorie limit by the dietician but what I discovered is that I've had trouble getting enough calories from other food sources when the carbs are restricted. (I like to get a minimum of 1600 calories).
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    A lifestyle change can be overwhelming. Take small steps and be consistent, change will happen over time. Try sweet potatoes instead of mashed potatoes. Try sautéed vegetables instead of mac and cheese, etc.

I get by with lower carb as opposed to low carb. Lower carb (50g or less/meal) and regular exercise has helped with controlling my blood glucose level.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would definately see a nutritionist to make sure you're not missing anything out of your diet, but you can do alot of the ground work yourself just by googling low carb receipes. It's easier than you think to cut out tatties, rice and pasta, and sweeties.

tatties - have celeriac instead for chips/fries, mash or cube (instead of normal tatties), cook as you would normal tatties. swedes work just as well, turnips aren't as good as they're quite tart.

pasta - courgettes, instead of lasange just slice with a mandolin (or similar) don't cook like youtube receipes tell you to, just stick in raw instead of lasagne sheets and cook for 15 mins or so, if you cook them before hand they just disintegrate and it's more like moussaka. it's quite hard getting itto keep shape when serving however so use bowls lol (keep the skin on).
    also try and find miracle/zero noodles (yam noodles) they have very little carb content, they are very expensive but for a treat are very good :D
    Aubergines can be used instead also

rice - frozen or fresh cauliflower, blitz in blender until it looks abit like rice, then fry with a bit of coconut oil when it sticks it's done (works better with frozen, due to the water content), or boil for couple of mins.

google cloud bread (also known as oopsie bread), it's weird but lush. you can also experiment with almond and coconut flour in making your own bread.

stay away from any prepackaged diet foods (even atkins) if you can, they're ok for treats or occasionally but if this is going to be your diet (as in what you eat not trying to lose weight)then you don't want to get reliant on them, if you do the research and find substitutes for your favourite foods it makes it far easier.

for instance instead of sweeties i have dried dates and mango bits.
    if i eat crisps its redsky (or similar), large pack doled out into small 20g bags so i don't overindulge, or handful of popcorn. However, i'm not good at eating them occasionally, so tend not to buy them at all so i'm not tempted.
    i also make my own bounty bars just in case i have a really bad choccie craving (which generally happens at work cos my colleagues just shovel junk down their gullets all day everyday then wonder why they're putting on weight)

you'll be surprised how quickly your cravings bugger off. This coming from someone who used to polish off a loaf of bread with 1 normal sized tin of heinz tom soup for lunch and still have a massive pasta dinner! I don't eat bread at all, and stay away from most wheat things.

also don't bother with low fat rubbish, have full fat and just eat less, which won't be hard cos it tastes better and isn't full of added sugar like most low fat products.

If nothing else swapping out the usual culprits of rice tatties and pasta with a veg alternative, you'll be eating far more nutritious food with far less effort than before.

Good luck anyway, we're always here to help with recipes or food ideas if your stuck :D
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking at the Atkins website, invest in a book such as The New Atkins Diet for a New You. This gives an overview of all the phases and talks about Lifetime Maintenance, that does not include continued weight loss. It helps you figure out what level of carbohydrates work for you. If you will be needing to test your blood sugar regularly, you should be able to figure out what foods and what level of carbs work for you.

If you don't need to lose any weight you can start out in a later phase and skip induction all together.

Good luck!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The American Diabetes association approved low carb diets to control diabetes last month. If you read the Atkins book or did the weight loss tutors on their website, you would see that if you only have a few pounds to lose, you don't start with induction and as you go through the various stages you add carbs back in. It may look strict, but it's better than having to do on insulin down the road.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The American Diabetes association approved low carb diets to control diabetes last month.

Finally!
  • dlittlebear
    dlittlebear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get less than 20 net carbs per day(most of the time), more of a paleo/primal/keto type diet, I am insulin resistant. when I eat carbs it is either brown rice or sweet potato. I try to eat a lot of greens that have low net carbs like collard or turnip greens. with this diet I do not have to worry about my blood sugar as I rarely get enough carbs per meal to spike it. I just started this diet plan and in a about 2 more weeks I will get my blood work done and check out how my body internally is handling it.

check out my diary if you need any ideas. substituting carbs with fats for fuel.
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    Recently diagnosed as well. I have done South Beach diet and it is a good way to start getting use to the low carb diet. Never have done Atkins. I make sure I eat the right carbs. I use the American Diabetes Association's guidelines and recipes as well. My doctor told the that I needed to exercise daily. I have been doing ok but this is not easy so I take it one day at a time.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and keep to a lower carb diet. Mainly I try to get carbs from veggies, with some dairy for calcium and minimal fruit. I do have toast first thing in the morning because I take Metformin and toast helps control the nausea. I have "sweet" days but I try to save those for once in a while. You will see a lot of posts on MFP saying "calories are calories." That is NOT true for us, our bodies don't use carbs the same way others do. Atkins is okay, I think, but a bit extreme. If you're into that and are committed I think it can work for you. Just make sure you read all the information. If you're new to low carbing, though, I would recommend a slower approach. For most its hard to make so many changes and stick to it permanently.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    You've been given a lot of good advice here so I won't repeat it.

The reason why a low carb diet is good for diabetics is that carbs are the easiest thing for the body to turn into fuel, so it quickly converts carbs to glucose. Fat is more difficult for the body to process and therefore the glucose is released over more time.

If you eat low/lower carbs then your blood sugar will even out as it's getting less of a hit from a large dump of carbs into the body which will spike the blood sugar level.

If you don't need to lose weight, you can still maintain eating low carb. Just get your calories from elsewhere. Eat full fat food such as cheese, cream, yoghurt, etc. I love it when I get past dinner and I have enough calories left to have fresh cream with fruit (be careful with fruit - they contain carbs too)!. If you don't eat enough calories, you could lose weight and probably feel tired and icky (scientific term).

Most of all, remember you're not alone in this journey. I've come across a lot of people on MFP who have diabetes. I'm sure any of us would be willing to help you. Best of Luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys so much for the advice. There's a lot of excellent stuff in this thread!!

I've lost 3 pounds since Tuesday and have been doing good so far sticking to my 20 carbs. For some reason I'm trucking right along with this. My blood sugars have been good, only had one tiny spike that wasn't too bad.

I think I can do this!!
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys so much for the advice. There's a lot of excellent stuff in this thread!!

I've lost 3 pounds since Tuesday and have been doing good so far sticking to my 20 carbs. For some reason I'm trucking right along with this. My blood sugars have been good, only had one tiny spike that wasn't too bad.

I think I can do this!!

Congrats OP! You don't have to feel deprived while eating low carb especially if you find what you crave eating changes.. If youllike to cook find some good recipe sites... I love to browse recipes over at the lowcarbfriends forum.. And i've tried recipes from Linda's Low Carb (genaw.com)

Also the folks in the Low Carbers Daily group here on MFP have a lot of ideas.

Best wishes for your good health!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1057120-wanting-to-try-if-but-diabetic-type-2-ideas

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068986-reversal-of-type-2-diabetes-normalisation-of-beta-cell

Type 2 diabetes is a reversible condition. You do not have to eat low carb for the rest of your life. However, your chances of reversing it depends on how long you have been a diabetic. Links to discussion and journal papers above on how to put the disease in remission.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hopefully as you go along you will find that you just feel better eating low carb and won't really have a desire to go back to a standard diet. You don't necessarily have to go all extreme either. Right now you should be taking the opportunity to experiment and find out just how sensitive you are. I assume you have a glucose meter so you can check how certain foods effect you. It doesn't have to really be scary you just have to make more of an effort to eat real foods and limit breads, pastas, and sugars. Fruit you will have to test to see how much you can handle at a time. When people refer to complex carbohydrates those do not include whole wheat breads and pastas. Most of those are still refined so much that they're still easy for your body to break down so you will have to be contentious if you decide to try them.

Your Doctor mentioned Atkins but make sure you actually look into how that diet works. You may not really need to start off in induction like another poster has said. You will be able to get some recipe ideas from Atkins friendly meals. You can also use a lot of recipes from Paleo or Primate style meals since those usually exclude grains and the carbs are mainly from vegetables with fiber. There are a some that still use sweet stuff like honey or other naturally sugary foods that you may not want to use.

The goal for this type of dietary life style is to not eat anything that causes you to have to take a shot of insulin. There are some that even fasting glucose is really high that need to continuously take something to keep in safe levels but I doubt you're at that point.