Do Calories Matter?

Options
Im trying to gain muscle so i calculated i should be getting around 3000 calories a day. Now i have been eating a ton of food and its all been clean and healthy. But i added the calories and it was only around 1500, but i was full all day(almost didnt finish my breakfast). So how the heck am i suppose to double what i ate today, there is no way i can eat that much or afford it hah. Here is an example. A cup of spinach is only 7 calories according to mfp. What if i ate 200 cups of spinach, its a ton of food but only 1400 calories. I understand protein and other thing play a big part in it and i have been eating the right ratios. I just dont see how to eat more. Im eating a ton of food, its just they are low calories, but at the same time they are healthy. Thanks for your time.

Replies

• jennagoogles13
    Options
    Incorporate more calorie dense foods into your diet, such as: avocados, peanut butter, olive oil, almonds, etc. Also, don't but the low fat/ non fat foods if you are looking to add calories.

EDIT: Maybe if you opened up your diary it would be easier to give you some advice:)
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    umm hey, eat higher calorie foods, avocado, 1/4 cup mixed nuts is like 300 calories, and that is a tiny portion, Peanut butter, full fat yogurt. Of course if eating spinach, spinacj is likethe lowest caloried food there is. Add coconut oil to roasted veggies. so easy
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i love me some peanutbutter so that wont be a problem hah
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Best tip I've gotten: peanut butter off the spoon. Weigh it; it adds up fast, but a serving at every meal will easily put you an additional 800 cals up on your day.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts and Pizza
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    3000 isn't that hard, it's the days I have to make it up to 4000 that take a toll. I avoid most non-calorie dense foods, and enjoy what I eat to the fullest. Diary is open if you want to check it out
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Bacon, ice cream, pie, cheese.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    add in some higher calorie foods .. such as peanuts, almonds, peanut butter, almond butter, avocado, olive oil, cheese, yogurt. :) Good luck!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Get a dirtier diet.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said above really....

Eat more calorie dense foods, and make sure you hit the calories!

Take advantage of the fact your on a bulk and enjoy the odd bacon\pie\ice cream, as long as you don't go stupidly over on calories then It'll be fine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    put avocado on your pizza
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Why did you title your post 'Do calories matter?'
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Incorporate more calorie dense foods into your diet, such as: avocados, peanut butter, olive oil, almonds, etc. Also, don't but the low fat/ non fat foods if you are looking to add calories.

EDIT: Maybe if you opened up your diary it would be easier to give you some advice:)

^this - fat is your friend :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Bacon, ice cream, pie, cheese.
    This.
    Get a dirtier diet.
    And this.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to put on muscle mass then I highly suggest you start hitting your proteins.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking almond milk, eating low fat yoghurt and consuming less calorically dense things.

That should make hitting your calories easier.

tumblr_mmcw8mofwG1r5xzspo1_400.jpg
  • chrisryan139
    chrisryan139 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are you eating at the moment and amount. I find 3000 calories is very very easy to consume a day
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    What are you eating at the moment and amount. I find 3000 calories is very very easy to consume a day

If you eat dirty, yes, but not if you're trying to eat reasonably healthy ?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy. Nuts, seeds, olive oil. Peanut butter. Bread. Pork, beef. Protein powder milkshakes.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    GOMAD