not losing weight on keto

Options
hi! i started ketosis diet 8 days ago. in the first 3 days i lost 4 pounds, and i now realize it was probably water weight.
not i didn't lose any since that day and i'm eating perfectly under 20g of carbs per day.

the thing is with that diet i'm not hungry anymore! i mean i am but it only happens when it's been around 4 hours i didn't eat. i'm wondering if i'm not losing anymore because i'm not eating enough.

i'm at 900 calories a day (my food log isn't completed) and i know it's not enough but i'm forcing myself to eat. i want to know if i'll lose more if a eat around 1200 calories or i should continu this way and it's gonna work in few days?

because i don't want to eat more if it's not necessary and if it will make me gain weight.

thanks!

Replies

• eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    NnoGhN1.gif
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    hi! i started ketosis diet 8 days ago. in the first 3 days i lost 4 pounds, and i now realize it was probably water weight.
    not i didn't lose any since that day and i'm eating perfectly under 20g of carbs per day.

the thing is with that diet i'm not hungry anymore! i mean i am but it only happens when it's been around 4 hours i didn't eat. i'm wondering if i'm not losing anymore because i'm not eating enough.

i'm at 900 calories a day (my food log isn't completed) and i know it's not enough but i'm forcing myself to eat. i want to know if i'll lose more if a eat around 1200 calories or i should continu this way and it's gonna work in few days?

because i don't want to eat more if it's not necessary and if it will make me gain weight.

thanks!

I lost 4 lbs the first week then it took another 1.5 wks to lose another 2 lbs.. I didn't have a big appetite either.. Keto is natural appetite suppressant & I did & still do feel that... Just eat when you're hungry, drink lots of water & be sure to keep your electrolytes up.

The first month i typically ate 800-1000 cals a day but now in 3rd month i eat 1000-1300 on average. I don't exercise beyond taking several short walks each day.

The scale will fluctuate a lot so track inches instead of weight - it'll help you from being discouraged.. There's a Keto group here on MFP if you want to check it out. Friend me if you want!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    NnoGhN1.gif

yep!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat enough calories on keto you shouldn't be doing keto.
    Long term you're looking at severe metabolic adaptation. Unless you want to maintain at 900 calories eat more carbs.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Are you prepping for a contest?
    With only 22lbs to lose 900 calories seems very low.
    Average guy would eat apps 1800-2200 to lose 20ish lbs while maintaining LBM.
    Average woman would eat between 1600-2000 to lose 20ish lbs while maintaining LBM.

Doesn't look like you know what you are doing.

My advice is to purchase the book ULtimate diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald and follow the instructions or choose an easier solution to the diet other than keto such as this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Long term you're looking at severe metabolic adaptation. Unless you want to maintain at 900 calories eat more carbs.
    Prove it.
  • loveasunnyday
    loveasunnyday Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Eat less, move more!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    eating more wont make you lose more weight, but it will help ensure that a larger % of your loss is from fat instead of lean muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Prove it.

900 cals isn't enough for my 3 year old son. I think the onus could be on you to prove that 900 cals is okay. Keep in mind it is difficult to get the required micro nutrients and fiber on a diet of less than 1200 cals. So most likely the OP is missing a bunch of required vitamins and mineral and/or fiber on such a low caloric intake.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Prove it.

...Are you kidding?
    I can... but seriously?
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Prove it.

...Are you kidding?
    I can... but seriously?
    Yes, I am kidding but don't make baseless statements without backing your comments up. "Metabolic adaption" is actually a combination of too little food (energy intake) coupled with too much energy expenditure. To the original poster, this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/prevent-slowing-metabolism explains metabolic adaption.

1. Eat as high calories as possible.
    2. Think long term.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Eat less, move more!

LOLWUT?!

900 cals aready coming in.
    You say eat less then you arent very versed in adaptive responses from hormonal fluctuations.

Hope you arent a trainer otherwise id have to punch you in the face...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    if you're determined to stick to 900 you will definitely shift the weight but make sure you're taking a multivitamin or you're going to start feel ****ty.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

i'm at 900 calories a day (my food log isn't completed) and i know it's not enough but i'm forcing myself to eat.

Here is a gun. It will get you there quicker.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Prove it.

...Are you kidding?
    I can... but seriously?
    Yes, I am kidding but don't make baseless statements without backing your comments up. "Metabolic adaption" is actually a combination of too little food (energy intake) coupled with too much energy expenditure. To the original poster, this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/prevent-slowing-metabolism explains metabolic adaption.

2. Think long term.

I really don't need to post a link to backup everything I say. Metabolic adaptation actually occurs both ways. If you are a couch potato eating 400 calories per day you will adapt to that. If you are the same couch potato you could theoretically slowly work your way up to maintaining on 10000 calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

thanks!

Why would you not want to eat more? You can probably double your intake and still lose weight. Also, why are you doing a keto diet? Not that it's not a good way to eat because calories are pretty important. Large deficits can cause hormonal imbalances and can prevent weight loss.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Eating that low of calories could cause health complications. ACSM does not recommend going below 1200 calories. Your body will not get the nutrition it needs with that deficit. Calculate your TDEE and create a deficit from there!

Eat some calorie dense foods.. Nuts, avocodas, peanut butter, and even dark chocolate to help bring up the total!
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Prove it.

...Are you kidding?
    I can... but seriously?

2. Think long term.

I really don't need to post a link to backup everything I say. Metabolic adaptation actually occurs both ways. If you are a couch potato eating 400 calories per day you will adapt to that. If you are the same couch potato you could theoretically slowly work your way up to maintaining on 10000 calories.
    I am coming from the context of the fitness world. Of course the body will adapt, but how many couch potatoes do you know, that eat 400 calories per day? Most people who experience severe adaption are under eating and over working. However, I digress.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat much, much more than you have been.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Meh, there are some days I eat as low as 900 and some days I eat up to 1800 on keto. After two weeks of being on keto, I tend to forget to eat. Don't worry, your appetite will come back.

4 lbs is great! Especially if you only have a few to lose. Take it one day at a time, and try to eat a spoonful of peanut butter or make some fat bombs, or a heavy cream latte for an easy way to add calories quickly. Don't force yourself to eat, but be vigilant that you're not constantly under feeding yourself for an extended amount of time.