Tropical Smoothie Wraps Have more calories than a Whopper!

Options
Hi Everybody!
I ate a Tropical Smoothie Wrap today and I had NO IDEA that they had more calories than a WHOPPER!
Received this revelation when I entered the food into calorie counter..

1 Whopper: 670 Calories
1 Thai Chicken Wrap: 720 calories!

That's bad juju! Proof that some "healthy choices" can be worse than a burger.
:-O

Replies

• JensLogin
    Options
    We used to have a Tropical Smoothie by us, but it closed down. I think that there are some good items at Tropical Smoothie, but you have to be mindful of what you are ordering. Any type of sauce or a bunch of cheese I always try to stay away from in a wrap. If your lucky enough to have an Extreme Pita by you, try them out. While they do have some items that can get high calorie, they also have some really good options as well. I truly enjoy Extreme Pita!

I agree though... some of these items can be deceiving so we must be SO careful! ;)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    wraps are very deceptive. Mostly because tortillas that are used are 1. HUGE and 2. can easily top 200 calories all by themselves.

I love a wrap that is at Togo's, but now I lay it on a plate, open it up, and eat the insides with a fork. No tortilla=210 calories savings!!!
  • superdre
    superdre Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i completely agree! There are some good products there and they have low calorie smoothies. It was just surprising to discover that this particular wrap beat the whopper in caloric intake.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    That's one of the things that is most frustrating with this process. You try something new, thinking it's healthy...only to realize it's not any better, and in this case, worse than what you were eating.

Live and learn, name of the game.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't think just because it's high calorie that it's "worse than what you were eating". That's a complete lie. If they use fresh ingredients and it's HEALTHY for you, just don't eat as much! No way is a healthy wrap that's filled with good protein, greens, veggies, etc. (I'm assuming) is worse than a chargrilled piece of fat-filled beef on a simple carb bun, slathered with cheese. It's obvious which is better for you but all you're seeing is the calorie number. It's NOT all about the calorie number. Yes, stay within your calories...but this is about making healthier choices, not just having a smaller caloric intake. You can eat all the whoppers you want as long as you stay in your caloric intake for the day...you'll probably lose a little weight for a little while but you won't be healthy.

Sometimes, I need to eat 720 calories because I've worked out hard and I've eaten low calorie high protein foods that fill me up but yet leave me with a lot of calories to consume. So many people think this is a "low calorie diet" but it's not really. It's just eating ONLY what your body needs for fuel. The more you work out, the more calories you expend, the more calories you have to eat... so if you want to eat the wrap, just make sure you're eating only what your body needs, i.e.: half the wrap if you only have 360 or so calories to "spend".
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    a thai chicken wrap has a peanut satay type dressing on it, which is full of sugar and fat. That and the tortilla are the culprits here, not the lean protein or the fresh veggies.
  • clbiggins83
    clbiggins83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey cousin! So glad to see you on the site and active! You are doing an amazing job. You know, now that you mentioned this topic, I find myself now going to restaurants asking for their nutrition menu. It's like going to healthier choices university ;-)
  • superdre
    Options
    That's one of the things that is most frustrating with this process. You try something new, thinking it's healthy...only to realize it's not any better, and in this case, worse than what you were eating.

Live and learn, name of the game.

Agreed... this site has totally opened my eyes to how good or bad "health" food can really be for us.
  • superdre
    Options
    Hey cousin! So glad to see you on the site and active! You are doing an amazing job. You know, now that you mentioned this topic, I find myself now going to restaurants asking for their nutrition menu. It's like going to healthier choices university ;-)

Hey CUZ! OMG i LOVE This website! Thank you so much for introducing it to me!!! :-) It's so great to socialize with people here who are in the same place we are trying to lose weight... its great to encourage eachother!!!
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I remember the days when I was eating 2 whoppers for breakfast....