dress sizes and weight lost? no results!

Options
Hi everyone,

So while I was being fitted for wedding dresses, the lady at the store said for every 10-20lbs lost, is a dress size. When I told her i'm down 13 lbs so far, she said she would wait until January to order my dress then, because I will likely go down a few sizes.

I haven't gone down any sizes with my current loss of 13lbs. My pants and shirts all still fit the same... and I don't feel any different. I'm sure this isn't uncommon, however I'd like to know others experiences with this? At what point did you start noticing in your clothes? I've taken before/after pictures and don't see anything yet.

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i typically dont see a difference until past 10 or so lbs... but theres also a difference between weight loss and fat loss.

building more lean body mass (muscle) while dropping fat might not change the number on the scale as much- but is much more visible in clothes (muscle takes up less room than fat).

overly restricting calories (not saying u are- i have no clue what u are doing to lose) and focusing more on cardio than strength training will cause u to mainly lose water in the beginning, so u wont see much of a difference.

make sense?
  • batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    makes sense.... i'm not doing much cardio/weight lifting.... walking or stationary bike is my choice of work outs because of a knee issue. I try to do that 3-4x a week.

a loss is a loss i guess, water or fat.. doesn't matter. still nice to see those scale numbers going down! But I do wonder when that water loss will be converted to fat loss, and when it will start to reflect on my body.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The first 5-8 pounds could be water weight from cutting junk out of your diet which isn't going to make much of a difference in clothes fitting. Wait another 10 pounds or so before worrying.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 lbs and I only changed 2 dress sizes. I think it's possible because I don't have one problem area and fat comes off everywhere. Plus when I was 40 lbs heavier, I wore clothes that were possible too tight/small for me.
  • misskate1987
    Options
    So different for everyone. I've lost around 20kg (approx 44ish pounds) and my top half has gone down about 4 sizes. But my bottom half has only gone down 1 (sometimes 2 depending on the item of clothing).

Just keep doing what you're doing :)
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My top never seems to change dress size...or maybe just 1 and my bottom hasnever dropped more than2. My top can be anything between an 8-12uk but my bottom.varies from 12-16 uk depending on the shop! I'm like two people stuck together lol!! If only there was a way to keep my two halves the same!
  • batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I lost over 40 lbs and I only changed 2 dress sizes. I think it's possible because I don't have one problem area and fat comes off everywhere. Plus when I was 40 lbs heavier, I wore clothes that were possible too tight/small for me.

my boyfriend says that's what's happening... he says i'm porportionate and i'm likely loosing all over, not just one area. I don't really have 1 problem area either so maybe this is what's happening. Thanks!
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your starting weight and how you lose weight. I only had about 15-20 lbs that I wanted lose and I lost about 2 dress sizes (I was in between sizes before so it was more like 1.5 sizes). I lost the way I gained, i.e. mostly in my hips and bum and a bit on top. However, I know some people who had much more to lose said it took them 20 lbs before they first went down a size. I also imagine if you lose weight more evenly, the size loss will be less dramatic.