How do I get exercise in every day?? :(

Options
So I have a full time job as a waitress and am also looking for yet another job at the moment and am going to start college soon. Being on your feet all day, the last thing you want to do is come home and get on a treadmill or even go walking. I still eat relatively healthy and hardly ever go over my calorie goal. I only get 2 days off a week and that's when I get my exercise in. How do I stay motivated to get that workout in every day? I know there's people out there that have more going on than me...so how do they do it??

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning before work. There are too many things that can get in the way for me if I don't get it done first thing. My days change all of the time between 10-12 hour work days, happy hours, client meetings etc. And you are right, the last thing I want to do when I come home is go to the gym, I just want to relax and I can.

I don't always love getting up early, but the regret of missing a workout is far worse.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You don't have to workout every day
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    4am.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I try to get it in every day but unfortunately it ends up being once or twice a month.
  • yellowbd
    yellowbd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. You just need to make time. If you are on your feet all day and don't feel like going on the treadmill (I can relate) then do weights!

There are days when I just can't bring myself to workout but I bounce back the next day even more determined. My two favorite things to think about on days like that are that the days when you don't want to workout are sometimes the days you need to the most and that I will not let one lazy/bad day wreck this for me.

You can do it just keep going!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Working in the city and having a coomute suck up 3 hours of my day as well as household chores and responsibilities makes me not want to do much exercise. After I finish doing my chores and stuff I usually only have 2 hours before I go to bed. Id rather just relax so i try to add in extra walking by taking the long way to walk somewhere, using the stairs instead of the elevator, roaming around for 20 min during my lunch break. Walking to the elevators at the far end of the building ( the stair cases at work are very hot and I feel too dizzy walking more than one flight).

If you arent in the situation to add walking, they exercise during commercials while watching TV. You can do lunges during one commercial break, squats during another, sit-ups or crunches, etc... Commercial breaks are about what--3 minutes? Maybe 3 during a half hour show? Do that for 2 hours of TV and you have exercised 36 minutes a night. It may not seem alot but it does make a difference. Sometimes that was all I can muster up doing and it did change my body.

I have only done the walking but intend to re-start the commercial break thing this week--when I actually have time to watch TV. I watched a two hour movie last night then went to bed :(
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you're on your feet all day, then you don't really need to stress too much about exercise.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I felt this way at first, but once you start doing it your energy levels will increase and you will no longer feel like you cannot do it :)
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I work a 40 hour a week job, a 16 hour a week job and I am constantly studying as I am starting my Masters Degree in four weeks. I still get time to either exercise of have me time every day. It isn't about finding time, it is about making time. :-)
  • sandinmyhair
    Options
    Great question! My advice would be to start small and keep it at home, because you really just want to get in the habit of doing some type of activity in your busy schedule. Example: I just bought a little ab roller that I started using for about 10 minutes at night while I'm watching tv and playing with my cat :) I don't have to change clothes, get in my car, check in to a gym, etc...so there is a smaller chance of failure. I've actually started looking forward to doing it and have since printed out a 15 minute yoga routine that I'm going to do 3 nights a week. Idk, I've just started, but it seems to be working so far. Good luck!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i agree, if you're on your feet all day, you don't need to hammer the cardio. look into adding some weight training 3 x a week and rest on your days off :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Get up an hour earlier.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I would think about getting some workout DVD's that you can do in your house. There are lots that are 20-30 minutes that you can squeeze in when you wake up or when you get home. Ignore the meal plans, but the workouts themselves are usually really easy to follow since everything is laid out for you. I always forget what I'm doing during which days (I'm doing Body Revolution and Brazil Butt Lift together right now) and there are not only calenders that come with the programs, but you can usually find them in printable versions online as well. I was working 2 jobs and going to school while I did 30 Day Shred and it was very easy to get it in. Also, since you're a waitress (I was working retail at the time so I understand sore and tired after being on your feet!) look at getting a large tray to do an epsom salt soak for your feet and massaging slippers. I got every penny's worth out of those things when I was really busy. Worth their weight in gold!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Make the time and remember that you do not have to "exercise" everyday, but can still remain active. Rest days are important too.....
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    If you want to exercise, you will make time. What are you wanting us to tell you? I'm sure you can figure it out.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    1. STOP with the excuses
    2. Nike said it.....JUST DO IT
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    If you're on your feet all day, then you don't really need to stress too much about exercise.

excuse_me_bird.gif
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    set your alarm earlier :) I know its not easy but believe me you WILL get used to it and you WILL enjoy those workouts - they are sooo worth that hour less in bed, especially when you see how good your body is looking :-D

and I should have said, DVD workouts work for me - or youtube! its full of fantastic and free workouts - 30 day shred/ Jessica Smith tv/ Lesley Sansone....loads to choose from! :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    If you want to exercise, you will make time.

it really is that simple.

say what now?