Working out and eating well- Weight Gain!?

So, I've been working out and eating pretty well the last month. I usually weigh myself every Wednesday and I was excited to step on the scale today to see my weight loss. Much to my disappointment I had gained two pounds. I was curious to what could cause this gain?

The types of workout I do are: treadmill, elliptical for 35mins, 5-6 days a week. If I don't feel like going to the gym. I stay home and do zumba dvd workouts.

As for my job, I work as a cashier and my schedule is always unpredictable. Sometimes I have to be up at 4am to do early pricing and other days I'm closing and have to open the next morning. My schedule is never consistent and my boyfriend had mentioned that my weight gain might be caused from stress and lack of sleep because of my job. He also feels like I might be starving myself. I feel like I'm eating enough, but he feels like I should eat more.

If anyone could give me any idea on why I could have gained weight, I would really appreciate it! I have my diary unlocked for you all to view. Thank you again. I appreciate it :)

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Having a hectic schedule and starting a workout program can stress your body and cause increases in a hormone called cortisol. This will make you retain water, which causes your weight to spike. In fact, it's one of the reasons that so many people give up on exercise programs so quickly; they see the initial weight gain, think it's not working, and then they give up. Give it time, and make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts. MFP is set up to eat back what you burn exercising (seems counter-intuitive, but they already have the deficit built in for the day). Extreme daily deficits can also cause an increase in cortisol, and that much stress on your body isn't a good thing.
  • First, congrats keeping up with the food diary and for your commitment to go to the gym regardless of your work schedule.

The first thing I noticed is that you seem a little low on protein. Protein is essential for someone who works out as often as you do, and you should at least be getting .5-.75 grams per pound. (I'd really recommend 1 to 1 ratio's) I'd recommend making small changes like adding greek yogurt (more protein than regular), or switching your oatemal to "Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats". Traditional oats are higher in protein content and the carbs are perfect for the morning. Small changes like that can make a big difference without having to consume more food or change your food budget drastically.

Other than that, I'd say your on the right track. I always recommend not focusing so much on your weight, but more so on your measurements, energy levels, strength, and overall satisfaction to how you look. Numbers are going to fluctuate...heck 2 pounds could easily be nothing more than water. Keep pushing, you look great!!!

O and one more thought....try adding the banana to a post workout snack versus in the morning. I know it sounds simple, but to keep a long story short, it'll make a difference. If your hungry and need more food in the morning, add a different fruit like an apple. Glycemic index, carbohydrates, etc all factor into that decision. Try it and if it works for you, great...if not, that's ok too.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    I would also suggest you at least meet your minimum 1200 calories a day. I see you had some days where you fell below that and you should also try and eat back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories. I agree on the advice of the oatmeal. I eat steel cut oats myself. I find they keep me fuller longer than the instant for sure.
  • sedentarygeek
    sedentarygeek Posts: 55 Member
    Having a hectic schedule and starting a workout program can stress your body and cause increases in a hormone called cortisol. This will make you retain water, which causes your weight to spike. In fact, it's one of the reasons that so many people give up on exercise programs so quickly; they see the initial weight gain, think it's not working, and then they give up. Give it time, and make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts. MFP is set up to eat back what you burn exercising (seems counter-intuitive, but they already have the deficit built in for the day). Extreme daily deficits can also cause an increase in cortisol, and that much stress on your body isn't a good thing.

Wow thanks! I didn't realize that. Thanks so much for the information :)
  • sedentarygeek
    First, congrats keeping up with the food diary and for your commitment to go to the gym regardless of your work schedule.

The first thing I noticed is that you seem a little low on protein. Protein is essential for someone who works out as often as you do, and you should at least be getting .5-.75 grams per pound. (I'd really recommend 1 to 1 ratio's) I'd recommend making small changes like adding greek yogurt (more protein than regular), or switching your oatemal to "Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats". Traditional oats are higher in protein content and the carbs are perfect for the morning. Small changes like that can make a big difference without having to consume more food or change your food budget drastically.

Other than that, I'd say your on the right track. I always recommend not focusing so much on your weight, but more so on your measurements, energy levels, strength, and overall satisfaction to how you look. Numbers are going to fluctuate...heck 2 pounds could easily be nothing more than water. Keep pushing, you look great!!!

O and one more thought....try adding the banana to a post workout snack versus in the morning. I know it sounds simple, but to keep a long story short, it'll make a difference. If your hungry and need more food in the morning, add a different fruit like an apple. Glycemic index, carbohydrates, etc all factor into that decision. Try it and if it works for you, great...if not, that's ok too.

Thank you so much! I'll definitely make some of the changes. I have never checked my measurements so I will definitely try and start that. Also, I'll definitely try the banana after a workout. I usually have it before my workout. I'll definitely switch it to something else.

Thanks SO much for the advice and input!
  • sedentarygeek
    I would also suggest you at least meet your minimum 1200 calories a day. I see you had some days where you fell below that and you should also try and eat back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories. I agree on the advice of the oatmeal. I eat steel cut oats myself. I find they keep me fuller longer than the instant for sure.

I always assumed that going under my caloric goal was a good thing! I'll definitely change that :) Thank you so much. And I'll look into the oatmeal! ^_^
  • I had been trying to lose weight for 5 years after a 60 pound weight loss... Through significant exercise and 1,200-1,400 calories a day after 8 weeks, I would not lose weight... I thought a plateau.... I keep on going... Around the same time I stopped losing they double my antidepressant medicine (I do believe this was my downfall).... Through this period I would give up and gain a few pounds; go back with something different... protein diet; interval training; no processed food; the list was endless .... I ended up at the end of 5 years with 20 pounds back on... I went to doctor after doctor... I have thyroid disease but it was stable. Even through this time I continued exercising... I actually ran my first 5K and 10K... Yet I was a 200 pound porker (I am only 5 foot tall). I went to a diet doctor and I had my metabolism measured... It was minus one meal than what the norm should be for me to maintain my weight... I do blame it on the drugs... I believe it screws with your metabolism and resists weight loss. April 29th 2013 I went to a new thyroid doctor because my other one left... I told him my plight... He is a 'graduate' of John Hopkins... He tells me that the 1,200 calorie minimum for women and whatever it is for men is a MYTH..... It has more meat on it than that.... If you eat any less than this you need to keep your metabolism stimulated.... i.e. exercise.... So I went home... I was officially off the antidepressants for 9 months... I have been doing a simple calories in.. calories burned equals weight loss. I have been dieting for 114 days (15 weeks) ( have had 3 days that I ate 1,200 and another that I hate 2,000)... I work out one hour 4 days a week and keep active on the other 3 (biking; major housework since I am doing an overhaul downsizing; walking)... I have lost an even 25 pounds... I believe this is even low after 15 weeks but I am just happy I am losing weight. This is not a feasible diet to live on because it is very difficult to maintain with general life... I go all day on about 300 calories just to have a decent dinner, but it is doable.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Two pounds of weight gain can easily be explained by water retention and difference in weighing time. When I start a new workout and get really sore, I am guaranteed to add weight due to my body retaining some water for recovery. My weight used to fluctuate by about five pounds between morning and evening.

What I suggest you to do is to find out what your sedentary TDEE is, then eat back at least half of your exercise calories. Do this consistently for a couple of weeks, then weigh yourself again. If you lose weight, continue what you're doing. If you don't lose weight, reduce your limit by 100 calories for the next two weeks. Repeat as necessary.

It should be obvious, but I'll say it anyway. It is very important that you log everything accurately. If you skip logging an item or two, or being too lenient in estimating the number, you can easily undercount hundreds of food calories a day.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Hi Hexa....

I am doing the TDEE route with a cut too and strength train with some cardio 3x a week. I have put on some weight. - not much, about 2-3 pounds over 2 weeks. Drinking loads of water. So, thinking of cutting the 100 cals as you suggest. I presume that is per day not over a week so total cut is 700 cals over a week. Grateful for your input. Thanks very much!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    I had been trying to lose weight for 5 years after a 60 pound weight loss... Through significant exercise and 1,200-1,400 calories a day after 8 weeks, I would not lose weight... I thought a plateau.... I keep on going... Around the same time I stopped losing they double my antidepressant medicine (I do believe this was my downfall).... Through this period I would give up and gain a few pounds; go back with something different... protein diet; interval training; no processed food; the list was endless .... I ended up at the end of 5 years with 20 pounds back on... I went to doctor after doctor... I have thyroid disease but it was stable. Even through this time I continued exercising... I actually ran my first 5K and 10K... Yet I was a 200 pound porker (I am only 5 foot tall). I went to a diet doctor and I had my metabolism measured... It was minus one meal than what the norm should be for me to maintain my weight... I do blame it on the drugs... I believe it screws with your metabolism and resists weight loss. April 29th 2013 I went to a new thyroid doctor because my other one left... I told him my plight... He is a 'graduate' of John Hopkins... He tells me that the 1,200 calorie minimum for women and whatever it is for men is a MYTH..... It has more meat on it than that.... If you eat any less than this you need to keep your metabolism stimulated.... i.e. exercise.... So I went home... I was officially off the antidepressants for 9 months... I have been doing a simple calories in.. calories burned equals weight loss. I have been dieting for 114 days (15 weeks) at 900-950 calories per day ( have had 3 days that I ate 1,200 and another that I hate 2,000)... I work out one hour 4 days a week and keep active on the other 3 (biking; major housework since I am doing an overhaul downsizing; walking)... I have lost an even 25 pounds... I believe this is even low after 15 weeks but I am just happy I am losing weight. This is not a feasible diet to live on because it is very difficult to maintain with general life... I go all day on about 300 calories just to have a decent dinner, but it is doable.
    Your doctor told you to eat less than 1000 cals per day AND to exercise?
  • yes he did 30 pounds since 4-29