not losing weight on keto

Options

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Um, I'm doing keto, eating 1500-1600 calories a day and I'm able to lose about 1 lb a day. It is possible to eat more than 900 cals and lose on keto. I'm proof of that. My weight was stalled until I went keto. Seriously dude, you NEED to eat MORE.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    OP, in another post this morning you said you'd lost 5 pounds. Be that as it may, 4 or 5 pounds in 8 days IS losing weight. I'd recommend upping your cals some. I'd also HIGHLY recommend making sure you're including a bunch of lower carb veggies and fruit to your diet. I spent 10 years on a low carb diet. They can be valuable, but not if done badly. One last thing: calories still count, even on a keto diet. Remember that for down the road.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh your food prior to cooking, you should start doing so. I know before I started weighing my meat, I was really off on my eye balling skills.

so you could be off on your calories calculations.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Eat less, move more!

LOLWUT?!

900 cals aready coming in.
    You say eat less then you arent very versed in adaptive responses from hormonal fluctuations.

Hope you arent a trainer otherwise id have to punch you in the face...
    I'm assuming she's just suggesting the OP stop doing a low carb diet and "simply" count calories and move more. But yes, the way the post is worded, and its timing, are a hoot.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    hi! i started ketosis diet 8 days ago. in the first 3 days i lost 4 pounds, and i now realize it was probably water weight.
    not i didn't lose any since that day and i'm eating perfectly under 20g of carbs per day.

the thing is with that diet i'm not hungry anymore! i mean i am but it only happens when it's been around 4 hours i didn't eat. i'm wondering if i'm not losing anymore because i'm not eating enough.

i'm at 900 calories a day (my food log isn't completed) and i know it's not enough but i'm forcing myself to eat. i want to know if i'll lose more if a eat around 1200 calories or i should continu this way and it's gonna work in few days?

because i don't want to eat more if it's not necessary and if it will make me gain weight.

thanks!

Why would you not want to eat more? You can probably double your intake and still lose weight. Also, why are you doing a keto diet? Not that it's not a good way to eat because calories are pretty important. Large deficits can cause hormonal imbalances and can prevent weight loss.

Large deficits do not prevent weight loss. If this was true no one would ever die of starvation. A very large deficit sustained for months can over time mean a slower rate of weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hi! i started ketosis diet 8 days ago. in the first 3 days i lost 4 pounds, and i now realize it was probably water weight.
    not i didn't lose any since that day and i'm eating perfectly under 20g of carbs per day.

the thing is with that diet i'm not hungry anymore! i mean i am but it only happens when it's been around 4 hours i didn't eat. i'm wondering if i'm not losing anymore because i'm not eating enough.

i'm at 900 calories a day (my food log isn't completed) and i know it's not enough but i'm forcing myself to eat. i want to know if i'll lose more if a eat around 1200 calories or i should continu this way and it's gonna work in few days?

because i don't want to eat more if it's not necessary and if it will make me gain weight.

thanks!

Why would you not want to eat more? You can probably double your intake and still lose weight. Also, why are you doing a keto diet? Not that it's not a good way to eat because calories are pretty important. Large deficits can cause hormonal imbalances and can prevent weight loss.

Large deficits do not prevent weight loss. If this was true no one would ever die of starvation. A very large deficit sustained for months can over time mean a slower rate of weight loss.

Weight loss can be prevented by large deficits (especially as you get lean). Cortisol can cause your body to store more water as a protection mechanism which can prevent weight loss (not to be confused with fat loss or muscle loss). So you will not see immediate scale results. I agree, at some point, you will see weight loss as it's only a matter of time that fat/muscle loss exceed water retention.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Its best to first create a baseline, TDEE, then cut from that number to get the desired fat loss.
    Unfortunately people you so long that creating that baseline takes a very long time.

Sad state of affairs.

OP where are you holding fat?
    Can you post pics?
    Sometimes its easier to lose the fat if we know where its being held since the body stores it for certain reasons.
    PM for more info.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Its best to first create a baseline, TDEE, then cut from that number to get the desired fat loss.
    Unfortunately people you so long that creating that baseline takes a very long time.

Sad state of affairs.

Can you post pics?
    Sometimes its easier to lose the fat if we know where its being held since the body stores it for certain reasons.
    PM for more info.

wut
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Sad state of affairs.

Can you post pics?
    PM for more info.

wut

This
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Eat less, move more!
    :noway: not in her case for eating less, totally needs to eat more.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Sad state of affairs.

Can you post pics?
    PM for more info.
    hu?
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    NnoGhN1.gif

haha yup
  • teaddicted
    Options
    thanks people for replying. i'm gonna eat a lot more now and see in few days what's going on with this.

for the post above my fat is especially in the hips and i'm not gonna post pics.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Ultra low cal intake and virtually no exercise - you people know you're losing more muscle than fat, right?
  • teaddicted
    Options
    i'm doing exercise
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options

thanks!

Sorry girl...diets are rarely worth it! Are they ever worth it? You have to change your lifestyle. There's something you could be doing more efficiently...more water intake, workouts, less cals/fat? Idk what you're doing, but I don't believe in fad dieting. Good luck!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    NnoGhN1.gif

=))
  • teaddicted
    Options

thanks!

Sorry girl...diets are rarely worth it! Are they ever worth it? You have to change your lifestyle. There's something you could be doing more efficiently...more water intake, workouts, less cals/fat? Idk what you're doing, but I don't believe in fad dieting. Good luck!

thanks but i didn't post for people to tell me to give up. i saw two of my friends lost more than 40lbs with this diet and i'm gonna keep going. i was just wondering about the calories intake, i'm feeling perfectly good with this diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

thanks!

thanks but i didn't post for people to tell me to give up. i saw two of my friends lost more than 40lbs with this diet and i'm gonna keep going. i was just wondering about the calories intake, i'm feeling perfectly good with this diet.
    I'd suggest posting this in the low carb group. You'll get some great replies, and no one telling you you've chosen the wrong approach to weight loss.
    Nice folks in that group too.
    Good luck!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    thanks people for replying. i'm gonna eat a lot more now and see in few days what's going on with this.

for the post above my fat is especially in the hips and i'm not gonna post pics.

If it feels like it's too much at a time, feel free to increase your calories by a couple of hundred each day until you get where you want to be.

I promise, the appetite will return! And if you can make this a lifestyle change, you're good to go :)