CrossFit, will it be worth it?

Options

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I tried Crossfit for awhile (6 months), but didn't care for it. Some workouts I really enjoyed and other workouts I hated and couldn't get the point of. It is really too chaotic for me. I like structure.

I only tried it for something different and to decide for myself if it was as bad as the naysayers think or as golden as the Crossfit cultists contend.

In the end, def not for me. I don't like people yelling at me and am really not into group workouts. I am not competitive either so that aspect didn't do it for me.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    No thanks. Complicated/technical compound lifts where the measurement of success is often reps for time. Seems to carry an undertone of excess risk by my books. Case in point, recent WODs from the crossfit site:

Five rounds for time of:
    95 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 21 reps (105 reps total, with time being the target???)
    21 Ring dips

For time:
    30 Snatches

Deadlift 7-7-7-7-7-7-7 reps (I have read a lot, and never have I seen 49 reps of deadlift deemed appropriate)

Two rounds for time of:
    135 pound Thruster, 30 reps (60 total reps of a dynamic, overhead compound move, again with time as a goal)
    30 L Pull-ups

etc. etc. etc.

Spoken like someone who has never set foot in a Crossfit box.

True. How about enhancing that with commentary as to the benefits of any of the above workouts? For the sake of objectivity, I do see value and can appreciate the benefits of the following, also taken directly from the crossfit site:

Back Squat 3-3-3-3-3 reps

Three rounds for time:
    Run 400 meters
    1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
    12 Pull-ups

Ten rounds for time of:
    7 Burpees
    7 Knees to elbows

None of these workouts, however, require any coaching, and can be done anywhere.

So, if logic holds true in this small sample, the "value" of paying 3-4 times the amount of a traditional gym membership is for proper coaching on doing barbell lifts quickly.

Unless I am missing something, and if I am anyone can feel free to correct me (I like to keep an open mind), Crossfit programs that are circuit/metabolic/cardio based make a lot of sense. But I really don't understand why it is a good idea to do complicated compound barbell moves in as fast a time as possible.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, if all goes well, crossfit has the potential to get you in really good shape, but I think the crossfit methods are stupid and dangerous. Crossfit has it's followers completing heavy technical lifts in high rep ranges, then fatiguing their muscles and continuing the lifts while compromising form. This is a recipe for injury, plain and simple. There are other, much better ways to get in really good shape that I would consider before ever doing crossfit, but that is just me. Give it a try if you'd like, just be careful.

Umm have you actually done CrossFit for any length of time or are you simply regurgitating the spew from the Bodybuilding Boards? A quality box will have quality coaches who stress form over everything, even the clock. If your box forces Rx weights on you and tries to make you go unbroken on sets then you need to find another box. The max weight I've ever seen in a WOD where the barbell is above the waist was 155# and that was a Clean. Most other weights are Rx'd at 135# max. Of course if you don't scale for your abilities, then any injury is on YOU not CrossFit. You fail to mention all the torn peck, quad, hamstring, biceps, etc that happen during isolation exercises because some 'bro' lifts more than he should and... what's that?... sacrifices good form.

In CrossFit you rest whenever you need to. If the round calls for 15 reps and you do 3 and fail then you stop and take a 10-15 second rest then chip away at the rest of the reps or you drop weight so you can continue with less rest. It's not science it's common sense. I've had coaches make me drop the barbell and yank weight off my bar because my form was suffering.

I really hate when people bash CF when they've never even set foot in a box.

OP: Look around for a box with a free trial week. Most have them. As for pricing, a lot depends on real estate. Since most boxes are in store fronts or warehouses, the cost of the membership most times depends on the rent of the space for the owner and also the population of the gym. Also make sure to investigate the coaches certs and how many years they've been coaching. Go watch some WODs too to see how the coaches interact with the class. If they aren't constantly walking around, checking forms and truly coaching then find another box.

As to if it's worth it? Absolutely. But it does take commitment. The more days you go the faster results you will see. It's also worth the price the more you go. I've made such huge improvements in my health and fitness levels in the last 12 weeks it's amazing. Just yesterday I retested my 1 rep max on back squat and I made a 45# gain from 185 to 230 in just 6 weeks! (We strength train M-W-F to help us during WODs). You will be more flexible, mobile, energetic, stronger, and you will sleep really well. The only downside is you will get addicted quickly. You will never get bored and you will make some really great friends.

Bottom line, try it.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    no
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    No thanks. Complicated/technical compound lifts where the measurement of success is often reps for time. Seems to carry an undertone of excess risk by my books.

Then you don't get it. The clock is simply a tool for measuring your progress as you strengthen and your fitness improves. That's it. It's only a measuring stick. That's also why there are benchmark WODs that usually cycle through every 90 days or so. You do "Christine" in 20:34 the first time, then 90 days later you do her again with exactly the same weight on the barbell, but this time you do it in 18:23. Well there's your proof of progress. Your endurance and strength have improved. That's the purpose of the clock. You NEVER sacrifice form for a faster time, that's just stupid. Any experienced CFer knows that.

And the single most 'difficult' compound lift is usually a Thruster which is just a front squat into a push press. Not really that hard. Now from time to time you may get a 3-5 movement barbell complex but they are done at light weights and the lifts flow one into the other.
    Case in point, recent WODs from the crossfit site:

Five rounds for time of:
    95 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 21 reps (105 reps total, with time being the target???)
    21 Ring dips

Yes that's the male RX weight. If you can't do 95# then you scale down to a weight that you know you can do safely, but still get your heart rate up. And honestly, a 95# Sumo DLHP is not that heavy.
    For time:
    30 Snatches

Yes, but again at scaled weight if necessary and you do not do 30x unbroken LOL. You break it up into smaller rep sets and rest as needed.
    Deadlift 7-7-7-7-7-7-7 reps (I have read a lot, and never have I seen 49 reps of deadlift deemed appropriate)

70% 1RM deadlifts for 7x 7's isn't that difficult. No one is pulling 49x 1Rm weights here folks. If you WOD at your 1Rm then you are an idiot.

Funny, I know several bodybuilding complexes that use 50-40-30-20-10 rep ladders and 7x7's. Google Gethin DTP.
    Two rounds for time of:
    135 pound Thruster, 30 reps (60 total reps of a dynamic, overhead compound move, again with time as a goal)
    30 L Pull-ups

The standard male Rx weight for Thrusters is 95#. The WOD you quote is obviously a 'fat' or 'heavy' WOD or even an RTG (Road To Games) WOD to test if an athlete is ready for a competition.
    etc. etc. etc.

You left out an important point of FOR TIME WITH GOOD FORM. You don't just throw around barbells as fast as you can. If you do and the coach lets you, you deserve any injury you get.

Go on YouTube and watch experienced CrossFitters do some of the WODs you mentioned and you will see impeccable form consistently through the WODs. You will also see them rest when needed.

You also only cited WODs with barbell complexes. There are plenty of WODs that do not even use heavy weights. If the person programming the WODs at your box has you doing barbell movements every single day then you need to switch gyms. For example, today our WOD was:

10 Minute AMRAP of:
    5x Handstand Push-ups
    10x Burpees
    15x Sit-ups

OOOOOOOOOOOO! So dangerous!

Then we did an 8 round Tabata Slam Balls @ 20# (20s work, 10s rest)

The worst injury I've had in 12 weeks of 5x days/week wodding is I shinned myself on a box jump. That's it.
  • ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Worth it if you enjoy it and stick with the program
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    You will never argue an anti-crossfitter out of their position. They have to try it for themselves. CF isn't for everyone, but usually people who don't want to push themselves to their limits and just beyond -or- folks who are happy curling in the squat rack and 'mirin themselves in the mirrored wall are the ones who never try CF or they it and quit after two weeks 'cuz they lose their pump.

BTW, the only mirrors in my gym are over the sinks in the bathrooms. We work when we WOD, not pose. ;-)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    You will never argue an anti-crossfitter out of their position. They have to try it for themselves. CF isn't for everyone, but usually people who don't want to push themselves to their limits and just beyond -or- folks who are happy curling in the squat rack and 'mirin themselves in the mirrored wall are the ones who never try CF or they it and quit after two weeks 'cuz they lose their pump.

BTW, the only mirrors in my gym are over the sinks in the bathrooms. We work when we WOD, not pose. ;-)

you've just reinforced a lot of negative stereotypes people have about crossfitters.

congratulations.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is definitely worth it. I've been doing it for 3 months now and find it the best way for me to work out. You don't *have* to push yourself to the point that you'll hurt yourself. That's a myth. It's more challenging yourself - but never before you are ready. The crossfit atmosphere for me is great. I love the trainers being involved, the fact that we work out in groups, the friends I make, those friends encouraging you to not give up (even if you've scaled your workout to your own ability - b/c again, they won't try to make you hurt yourself) and just the camaraderie of the whole program. Sometimes it's hard to get there at the end of the day. But once you're there, you're among friends. I've seen great changes in myself. So yes, it's definitely worth it. :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

There are plenty of people who are capable of pushing themselves just fine in their chosen activities without Crossfit.

Crossfitters with your attitude are the reason that so many people are anti-Crossfit. I know a lot of people who enjoy Crossfit and whenever someone asks me about my experience, I usually tell them to check it out for themselves. It really depends on what your goals are. Crossfit is just one tool of many.
  • Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's certainly a polarizing topic. My brother loves it but is realistic enough to know

a) it's not for everyone

b) if you don't have a good trainer/coach you are at risk of seriously injuring yourself

Case in point -- when he tried out at one box, the trainer was a lunatic. He had beginners doing clean and jerks when they'd never lifted a weight in their lives. We're talking about extremely technical lifts that professionals spend years perfecting and he's got Jen and Joe Gym Rat in their brand new Under Armour gear absolutely wrecking themselves.

Also, like any other extremely popular fitness trend, supporters can come across as zealots which is really off-putting. The message they send is, "Look how awesome I am. The only reason you're against (insert trend) is because you don't understand it."
  • Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also, I have no desire to have people screaming in my face while I'm working out.

But that's just me. =-)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Oof, are you what most crossfitters are? If so, I should stick to my boxing gym where I can punch someone when they act like that...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are. Crossfit is just one tool of many.

That's really what it comes down to, what is your goal. If your goal is to really improve your strength, CrossFit is not ideal. If your goal is endurance and perhaps work capacity, then CF is a good choice.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My husband does it at home on his own. Has all the weights, pull-up bar, rings the whole shebang! He loves it, I hope to start with him soon.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

That's really what it comes down to, what is your goal. If your goal is to really improve your strength, CrossFit is not ideal. If your goal is endurance and perhaps work capacity, then CF is a good choice.

Crossfit definitely won't make you stronger. Nope. Not at all.

:indifferent:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Crossfit definitely won't make you stronger. Nope. Not at all.

:indifferent:

I PICK THINGS UP AND PUT THEM DOWN!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, if all goes well, crossfit has the potential to get you in really good shape, but I think the crossfit methods are stupid and dangerous. Crossfit has it's followers completing heavy technical lifts in high rep ranges, then fatiguing their muscles and continuing the lifts while compromising form. This is a recipe for injury, plain and simple. There are other, much better ways to get in really good shape that I would consider before ever doing crossfit, but that is just me. Give it a try if you'd like, just be careful.

Not true if you have good coaches.

Granted this is not always the case, but the OP can evaluate that for herself. In my CF gym safety and form are ALWAYS emphasized over everything else.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    At my Location, its unlimited for 100 bucks or 3 times a week its $75 for a month.

That's pretty cheap.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

That's a very general statement that is patently untrue in many cases. I just started at my box and the coaches have done nothing but focus on my form and making sure I learn the proper technique. They won't let me lift heavy yet until they make sure that I am doing things the right way. Just like some trainers at a traditional gym are better than others, so are CrossFit boxes. I love the one I go to and look forward to every WOD.
    It is a general statement, but it does pertain to the time I tried out crossfit. It was a very young trainer (early 20's) with the kill em mentality. I am a CPT through ACSM and seen the way he was teaching and lack of leading. Bad form and one person who upchucked is what I witnessed. Needless to say I walked out, never to return. Crossfit, like any fitness regimen, depends on the trainer. I would be willing to give it another go though if the trainer is experienced and cares about his/her clientel!

The trainer is the key. This is one of the biggest critiques of Crossfit and justifiably so.