Wait...Weight? Me?

Options
Everything I read says weight training will give better results than just cardio alone. That's GREAT...but...I haven't the foggiest on where to start. There are free weights and machines available to me, but how the heck do you start when you're 40 and no workout partner?

Replies

• strick1982
    Options
    I'm going to sit next to you on this one. I have some clue but not enough to per se start a good strength training program.
  • Borrowed_time
    Borrowed_time Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    no-advice - but sitting waiting for some responses if you don't mind - similar situation :smile:
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I started with googling strength training routines for beginners. I found a few on bodybuilding.com, and I had some of my very knowledgeable MFP friends review a routine and give me some great suggestions. I also looked up routines on YouTube, which is a great source for form. As I got more into weight lifting, I researched New Rules of Lifting for Women and StrongLifts 5X5.

I cannot speak enough to what heavy weight lifting has done for my body composition and for my confidence. To know that I have the strength to move something, seeing curves in all the right places, and seeing the look on people's faces when they know how much I weigh is the most empowering feeling I've ever had. You cannot get started soon enough, and you do NOT need a partner. Put your big girl panties on and hit the weight section. You will never regret it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In general, what you are looking for is "a progressive resistance training program that focus on compound lifts." This means that you are doing exercises that work multiple muscle groups (as opposed to isolation exercises like bicep curls). You are using weights (or other resistance like bands or body weight) and you are steadily increasing the amount of resistance as you get stronger.

The programs like this that get mentioned a lot on here are New Rules of Lifting for Women (NRoL4W) and Stronglifts 5X5.

A lot of women get put off by the tone of Medhi, who does the Stronglifts program, but it's sound lifting and it's free.

NRoL4W (or New Rules Super Charged) are also sound programs, though I think some of the nutritional advice is off-base. These are books that have programs in them. If you belong to a gym, see if you can pay a personal trainer for an hour at the beginning of each new phase to show you how to do the lifts correctly. YouTube is also an awesome resource.
  • mwiechel
    mwiechel Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I really like doing Chalean Extreme. I take my portable dvd player to the gym with me and follow along with her, and have access to any kinds of weights I need. I like that she tells me exactly what to do, and there is a schedule to follow. There is no guess work in it. I go to the gym, and know exactly what I am going to do.
  • GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read it says it's best to have a partner to keep an eye on form and for motivation.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I was 35 (never athletic) when I started lifting and I did it with Chalene Extreme at home. No gym. No personal trainer. I just had to invest in multiple dumbbells. I learned a lot about form and I watched my body shrink. I just had to stay consistent. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    get and read the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women"
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5!!!!
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I started with googling strength training routines for beginners. I found a few on bodybuilding.com, and I had some of my very knowledgeable MFP friends review a routine and give me some great suggestions. I also looked up routines on YouTube, which is a great source for form. As I got more into weight lifting, I researched New Rules of Lifting for Women and StrongLifts 5X5.

I cannot speak enough to what heavy weight lifting has done for my body composition and for my confidence. To know that I have the strength to move something, seeing curves in all the right places, and seeing the look on people's faces when they know how much I weigh is the most empowering feeling I've ever had. You cannot get started soon enough, and you do NOT need a partner. Put your big girl panties on and hit the weight section. You will never regret it.

This is great advice. It's about educating yourself and from there comes the confidence.
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    Start by googling and youtubing the basic lifts: Bench/Cable Press-Cable Row/Pull Up-Squat-Deadlift

Most other "Advanced" movements start with understanding the basics of these movements. (with the exception of auxillary lifts, ie bicep curls, tricep ext, calf raises, etc)

Use the mirrors in the gym to see that you are in proper alignment.

If you are using a gym you can usually ask someone who works there about your form.

Otherwise look into hiring a trainer to teach and show you the movements.
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    I usually have people start off with 2 to 3 sets of 10 to 15 reps with little weight so that their body can learn the movement without overloading it
  • Jenn_lynn330
    Options
    Check out this website its amazing for ladies and gives you what days to work on what. And a lot of information.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Everything I read says weight training will give better results than just cardio alone. That's GREAT...but...I haven't the foggiest on where to start. There are free weights and machines available to me, but how the heck do you start when you're 40 and no workout partner?

Hello,
    I am 53 years old and started several years ago. I started with free weights and went online to view how to do certain exercises with free weights properly and it's never too late to start...I am in better shape than in my 20's and feel much stronger and look healthier.
    I still have weight to lose but I feel I am standing up taller and even though I don't have lots of definition I am getting toned.
    I also go to the gym and would ask someone's help if I felt I was doing it wrong...I also use weight machines and started at putting lower weight on for beginners and then gradually build my weight up...not too much is needed...depends on how much you want to get into weight lifting...I've notice less weight loss but definitely inches has been lost due to weight lifting.
    Take care and I wish you all the best!
    Rose
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I started, I was too intimidated to use free weights so I just kind of pieced together which machines would work out a variety of muscles. I chose either arms or legs, and then chose 3-5 machines that worked different muscles. Looking up routines online is a great idea, but if you're REALLY a beginner, you may not know which machines or exercises a routine is referring to ... so I find that just poking around at the gym is really helpful. If nothing else, just pop a squat on one and read the panel to figure it out. On a machine, you can always adjust the seat, and then sometimes there is another element to adjust, such as the seat back or the weight mechanism itself. (Make sure there is no weight on the machine before adjusting a weight mechanism!)

Once your'e ready to go, try different weights to see which one is challenging but light enough that you can lift it 10-12 times in a row. This will likely take some trial and error. Make sure to record how much weight you're using so you'll know next time. Most people recommend doing 3 "sets" of 10-12 of the these repetitions. You may want to do all the sets in one sitting, or you can make a circuit of it where you move from machine to machine and then repeat the cycle.

For free weights, as others have said, the mirror is your friend. It will help you make sure you are doing the correct motion.

Above all, don't be afraid to just experiment and change things that aren't working for you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts, AllPros and Starting Strength. these will give you ideas on technique, form, progression rate, reps, sets, etc.

If you are able, think about getting in a few session with a trainer just to go over form. Otherwise, just watch the videos (youtube and Medhi from Stronglifts have several) and do your best!

You can also join the Eat, Train, and Progress group to put in your videos for form critique. you can also join up the lifting groups on MFP for more advice :)

There is a Stronglifts for Women, Starting Strength, and a few more that I don't remember the exact names of.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

/End Thread

Great starting point.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The Body for Life book has a GREAT beginning weight program. Alternates arms/legs, with instructions for each exercise. I carried the book around the gym with me while I was doing it. I felt so good....come to think of it...I think I'm going to dust that book off again! Thanks!!! :)
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

/End Thread

Great starting point.

It sure is!