How many calories does weightlifting burn?

Options
Are there any calculator's for weight lifting?

Replies

• shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Good question. I'm coming back later to see if anyone answers it.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It is listed under "cardio", in your exercise journal.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The only way to know is to get a HRM.

I suspect the calories burned as MFP shoes for weight lifting are a little low
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Short answer:

It depends.

I normally don't log the calories burned through weight training, as it can vary.

The intensity of the workout will determine how many calories burned, along with other variables like age, weight, gender, etc.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I used to track 300 cals for my Stronglifts workouts which lasted about 50 minutes with anywhere between 1.5-5 minute rest periods between sets. This estimate I suspect was too low because I dropped weight like crazy. I suspect 600 cals would've been a better estimate, which is what my HRM gave me...
  • grider055
    Options
    You shouldnt use a HRM for lifting.
  • tkbuc
    tkbuc Posts: 66 Member
    Options

It is, but doesn't tell you how many calories are burned.

How do I convert data from my HRM to calories burned?
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    There's really no good way to measure that outside of a laboratory, and even in a properly equipped lab it's not an easy thing to do. Part of the problem with lifting is that you'll continue to burn calories even after you are done, mostly by the body repairing the muscle fibers and recovering from the workout itself. A HRM won't capture that burn, since those are focused on cardio and are based mainly on your heart rate, which will be at normal levels even though you are burning more calories recovering from lifting.

Personally, I switched to the TDEE - % method when I switched to weight training. Don't have to "eat back" the exercise calories with that method.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    The only way to know is to get a HRM.

I suspect the calories burned as MFP shoes for weight lifting are a little low

This, I have a HRM & LOVE it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yes, it does tell you how many calories are burned.

You cannot convert data from your HRM. If you really wanted to, I'd take maybe 1/3 of what the HRM says and go from there.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not a lot, though you can enter "strength training" in the cardio tab for an estimate. FYI: the benefit of strength training is not the caloric burn. If you don't want to have to enter it all the time you can just change your activity level to light active and that should be enough to cover the extra from strength training.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Depends on a million factors? How heavy? How many reps? Intensity? Etc. It's hard to tell.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Your HRM doesn't give you cals burned? What brand and model is it?

That said HRM's will be wildly inaccurate for cals burned from strength training as your HR is elevated for a different reason than the calculation in the HRM assumes it is. In other words, don't use cals burned from a HRM during strength training.
  • ksuh999
    Options
    There's really no good way to measure that outside of a laboratory, and even in a properly equipped lab it's not an easy thing to do. Part of the problem with lifting is that you'll continue to burn calories even after you are done, mostly by the body repairing the muscle fibers and recovering from the workout itself. A HRM won't capture that burn, since those are focused on cardio and are based mainly on your heart rate, which will be at normal levels even though you are burning more calories recovering from lifting.

Personally, I switched to the TDEE - % method when I switched to weight training. Don't have to "eat back" the exercise calories with that method.
    EPOC doesn't really consume a lot of calories. Also EPOC exists for aerobic exercise as well. It's not exclusive to anaerobic exercise.
  • adamalle
    adamalle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This might help - take it with a large pinch of salt though!
    http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned
  • aceof89
    aceof89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What I opted for was counting 140 cals for ~45 minutes of moderately intense lifting under Cardiovascular. I chose that # because it is the same amount of calories in the protein shake that I drink immediately afterward. I found this to be the most practical way to count my cals for lifting.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I do a segment of weight lifting I noticed you can log what you did (ie barbell lifts/# of reps, etc) but it doesn't tell you cals burned (this is in the strength section of your diary)... so I time my whole entire workout and put it under circuit training (in the cardio section) to 'somewhat' measure my cals burned...
    Honestly I don't know how truly accurate it is - but at least it gives me an idea...

Anyone know of a better way?
  • ksuh999
    Options

Your HRM doesn't give you cals burned? What brand and model is it?

That said HRM's will be wildly inaccurate for cals burned from strength training as your HR is elevated for a different reason than the calculation in the HRM assumes it is. In other words, don't use cals burned from a HRM during strength training.
    That blog post that gets quoted over and over here is a prime example of useless bro-science and is mostly a steaming pile of conjecture and speculative drivel.

Just out of curiosity, why does your HR go up then when lifting weights?
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This might help - take it with a large pinch of salt though!
    http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned

I took a look at this site and it was a little confusing but does give you somewhat an idea of cals burned... however - I don't usually time EACH exercise (doesn't take me too long to do 50 ab crunches lol)...
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt use a HRM for lifting.

And why is that?