Green shakes

Options
Was just wondering what every ones views are when it comes to green shakes. Do you think they work or not? Whats the best greens to use, when it the best time of the day to have one, what do you like to put in yours, and has any one seen weight loss by having one as a meal each day or just simply having one as well as your meals?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'work'? What do you mean by work?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Eat less
    Move more

A green shake isn't going to help that process.
  • josh44095
    Options
    Do they help you lose weight?
  • TyTy76
    Options

No.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I try to get in a green juice daily. It has kale, celery, cucumber, apple, lemon and ginger. I don't use it for weight loss, just to get more nutrients in that I wouldn't get since I don't like kale or greens really. My weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

A calorie deficit will help you lose weight.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You need fibre, fibre cleans and energizes the system, keeps the engine working
    Fruits, grains and vegetables in the right amount aid weight loss.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    What helps you lose weight is creating a calorie deficit - whether that means you eat green smoothies or pizza. That being said, I make them sometimes with a ton of spinach, water, frozen pineapple/mango, and half a banana.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    The help me a lot with eating more veggies, and I often find them very filling for the amount of calories. They're also great for nutrients (esp potassium in my case). When I'm more full, I tend to crave fewer high-calorie goodies. So in that sense, yes, they do help, but it's indirect.
  • josh44095
    Options
    I guess my post was more about is it healthy and beneficial to have one each day and I wrote out the post wrong. I honestly feel better one I have one green shake a day. I usually drink mine 1 or 2 hours before I go to the gym and it seems to give me a energy boost
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You need fibre, fibre cleans and energizes the system, keeps the engine working
    Fruits, grains and vegetables in the right amount aid weight loss.

It doesn't sound like he's juicing it. The fiber will still be in the smoothie right?
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I drink them often but would not say they help you lose weight. They definitely do not fill me up.
    I drink them because it's an easy way to get my kids (my kids love them) to 'eat' vegetables. I use Spinach and Kale for my greens, just about any berry or a banana for my fruit, add water and flaxseed (to mine). I have heard if you add oatmeal they will help you stay full longer but I have yet to try that.
  • TyTy76
    Options
    I guess my post was more about is it healthy and beneficial to have one each day and I wrote out the post wrong. I honestly feel better one I have one green shake a day. I usually drink mine 1 or 2 hours before I go to the gym and it seems to give me a energy boost

If you feel better, keep doing it.
  • level26
    level26 Posts: 27
    Options
    What kind of shakes are recommended for getting nutrients and vitamins when on the go?
  • jdx301
    jdx301 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just save your money and make your own. Not only that, i wouldn't just use it by it's self. Throw in some protein powder and some frozen fruit. Carbs/fiber/protein from the greens, fruits and protein powder will help your appetite. Sure makes me full all the time.

My usual post workout shake looks something like this - 1 scoop trutein vanilla, 1 cup spinach, 1 cup frozen fruit (usually raspberry), 1/2 to 3/4 banana, dextrose or karbolyn (sometimes) and water. Get around 15g of fiber alone from this shake.
  • level26
    level26 Posts: 27
    Options
    Just save your money and make your own. Not only that, i wouldn't just use it by it's self. Throw in some protein powder and some frozen fruit. Carbs/fiber/protein from the greens, fruits and protein powder will help your appetite. Sure makes me full all the time.

My usual post workout shake looks something like this - 1 scoop trutein vanilla, 1 cup spinach, 1 cup frozen fruit (usually raspberry), 1/2 to 3/4 banana, dextrose or karbolyn (sometimes) and water. Get around 15g of fiber alone from this shake.

So, Trutein Vanilla? I have literally zero knowledge about shakes. Sorry. :ohwell:
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from creating a calorie deficit. How you choose to create and maintain that deficit is entirely up to you and is always subject to debates on here. At the end of the day if it's half sensible and your struggling to find something which works then there is nothing lost by trying it to see how you get on.

Personally I find that a green smoothie helps me create a calorie deficit as I'm able to consume a lot more 'green' items than I would be happy to sit and chew and they are both filling and low in calories. I use greens (spinach, broccoli, kale and seaweed), add in some fruit (banana and/or mango give a nice texture) with protein powder, a fat source and water/ice but really it's all about personal taste.

My favourite one makes 2 pints, of which each pint is usually 20g protein, 7g of fibre, 5g of fat for 280 calories and keeps me going for hours and hours. Much longer than it would if I'd had say 280 calories worth of toast and jam for example.