Apple Cider Vinegar!

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It also is good to rinse your hair with!

As for the alkaline bit, I'm confused how an acidic drink is improving alkalinity. Why not just eat baking soda like George Noory????

I'm confused about the alkaline bit also. I just thought people took it because it increased stomach acid and helped with digestive issues.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Bicarbonate is a molecular byproduct when the cider is digested.
  • miniversion
    miniversion Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I feel like an acid reflux coming on, I mix a tsp acv to 1 cup water, sip a little bit at a time during the day especially before a meal...seems to take care of it..I mix it in my smoothies just because my mind tells me I put a lot of fruits in it, I should have something sour to counteract the sugar..I mix it in my soups, asian dishes....I like it....
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My daughter just told me about this last month. It caught her attention because it said that it can help to bring down blood pressure. Much the same as bananas and such.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Not sure why people are being so snarky about this? If the girl wants to drink ACV, let her do it.

I do it, from time to time, but really only because I like the taste, and it's easier to get a glass of water down me prior to meals than without it. I don't care about the science that exists, or does not exist, behind it, I DO feel satiated sooner and stay satiated until my next meal doing it. I don't even care if it's just a type of a placebo effect.

I do what works for me.

Maybe, she's just trying something new that may/may not work for her. Jeez!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It's great in crock pot pork and as a base for BBQ sauces.

beat me to it...

why do people feel the need to stupefy ****? shots of cider vinegar...spoon fulls of coconut oil...stupid to the Nth degree.
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Acv and indeed many vinegars have so many health benefits from those above to uses all round the home and for our pts. It has been used for thousands of years so its no bizzarre claim...there are probably millions of people throughout time who will shout out the benefits. Books have been written, research done...it just works. Just because this may be the first time some people have heardabout vinegar doesn't mean its a flash in the pan fad!
    All I would say is IF you are drinking it be sure to rinse your mouth thoroughly as the acid on your teeth can cause the enamel to weaken.
  • xtrasmall
    Options
    I fill a glass about 3/4 of the way up with water and ice and then put in 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp. of honey or agave nectar

yay ok im gona try it this way mornings 30min b4 eating anything thanks!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease, and ACV helps when I have accidentally ingested gluten from cross contamination. I helps relieve the bloat and the general icky-ness.... I really don't know why it works, but it does. That is all that matters.

I have heard that it can help with weight loss, but I don't really believe it will... just my opinion.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Then don't drink it. Not everyone eats double servings of peanut butter Pop-tarts as part of a healthy lifestyle, and not everyone drinks alkaline vinegars. To each his own.
    yeah, but people that make pb poptarts fit into their diet aren't posting about how they're diet miracles either.

ACV makes a great marinade for pork and can clean windows pretty well. Aside from that, there's no magical weight loss bonus to it. If OP wants to drink it, awesome... I'd recommend a straw, though.
  • fleuriefirst
    fleuriefirst Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    my favourite way at the moment is water which is just off the boil (after!) with 1 tabsp ACV and 1 teasp honey to start the day (winter down under, perhaps I'll do cold water in summer?).
    Yummy!
    After about 1 month I'm almost an addict ;-) I find it not only curbs the appetite but also the diuretic effect makes the scales look good at least sometimes but really not convinced it does much else, honest?
    But the taste and the extra few cals/kjs well worth it. I actually started originally for arthritis but again I think that was just 'old wives'. But life is for enjoying as well as 'fixing' and rinse or brush your teeth after.
    I guess if you substituted manuka honey it could be even better for you.
    Enjoy !:drinker:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    From: http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2

"What Are the Risks of Apple Cider Vinegar?

"On the whole, the risks of taking occasional, small amounts of apple cider vinegar seem low. But using apple cider vinegar over the long term, or in larger amounts, could have risks. Here are some things to keep in mind.

"Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. The main ingredient of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. As the name suggests, it's quite harsh. Apple cider vinegar should always be diluted with water or juice before swallowed. Pure apple cider vinegar could damage the tooth enamel and the tissues in your throat and mouth. One study found a woman who got an apple cider vinegar supplement stuck in her throat suffered lasting damage to her esophagus. In addition, vinegar has been known to cause contact burns to the skin.

"Long-term use of apple cider vinegar could cause low potassium levels and lower bone density. If you already have low potassium or osteoporosis, talk to your health care provider before using apple cider vinegar.

"Apple cider vinegar could theoretically interact with diuretics, laxatives, and medicines for diabetes and heart disease. If you have diabetes, check with your health care provider before using apple cider vinegar. Vinegar contains chromium, which can alter your insulin levels.

"Using apple cider vinegar supplements -- instead of the liquid itself -- adds another layer of risk. You just can't be sure what you're really getting. Unlike medicines, supplements are not regulated by the FDA. They aren't routinely tested for effectiveness or even basic safety. A 2005 study looked at the ingredients of eight different brands of apple cider vinegar supplements. The researchers found that:

The ingredients listed on the box did not reflect the actual ingredients.
    The ingredients varied a great deal between different brands.
    The recommended dosages varied a great deal between brands.

"Most disturbing, the chemical analysis of these samples led the researchers to doubt whether any of these brands actually contained any apple cider vinegar at all.

"Should I Use Apple Cider Vinegar?

"The answer depends on how you want to use apple cider vinegar. If you use it as a salad dressing, you should be fine. But taken as a daily medical treatment, it could be a little more risky. Yes, some studies of apple cider vinegar are intriguing. But a lot more research needs to be done. Right now, there is not enough evidence that apple cider vinegar -- or any vinegar -- has any health benefit for any condition. Since the benefits are unknown, so are the risks.

"If you're thinking about trying apple cider vinegar, talk to your health care provider first. Your health care provider can assess whether the apple cider vinegar will affect other health conditions you have or the effectiveness of the medicines you take. Trying to control a serious medical condition on your own with an unproven treatment is both unwise and dangerous."
  • smerkord
    smerkord Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan. It cures what ails ya. But like many other issues, questions, debates, etc...if it isn't your thing, just don't do it.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I drink it when I have heartburn, indigestion, or gas. It helps tremendously. I mix a tablespoon of honey with a bit of hot water to dissolve the honey then I add a tablespoon of organic acv (with the mother), ice, and a cup or two of cold water. It's a refreshing drink.
    You should not drink it straight. It should always be diluted with water.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

beat me to it...

why do people feel the need to stupefy ****? shots of cider vinegar...spoon fulls of coconut oil...stupid to the Nth degree.
    Coconut oil is being shown to slow the development of dementia.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    We did not need all these remedies to add on weight, why would we need it to take it off .. Hard work, dedication and a whole lotta patience is the key! :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

beat me to it...

I don't think they take it as a shot, they just mix it into some water and it actual tastes good. They even sell apple cider vinegar sodas. And if someone is having digestive issues, it does make sense to take whatever helps them in a quick easy way, whether it's apple cider vinegar or ginger pills or fennel or some other enzymes or otc medication from the drug store. I don't take apple cider vinegar, but I have tried the soda once while on a road trip (when I was motion sick from the car ride).
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    This is probably an "old wives tale" since it came from my 88 y/o gramma, but she soaks strips of paper bag in ACV, puts it on her knee and then wrap with ace bandage, she claims it relieves knee pain. The one time I tried it, I didn't have paper bag, so I used a cloth and the ACV burned my skin. Haven't tried it again.
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    Not sure why people are being so snarky about this? If the girl wants to drink ACV, let her do it.

I do it, from time to time, but really only because I like the taste, and it's easier to get a glass of water down me prior to meals than without it. I don't care about the science that exists, or does not exist, behind it, I DO feel satiated sooner and stay satiated until my next meal doing it. I don't even care if it's just a type of a placebo effect.

I do what works for me.

Maybe, she's just trying something new that may/may not work for her. Jeez!

Lol, I was wondering the same thing! People seem angry about her use of ACV. I have found that a tablespoon helps with heartburn more so than pepcid, etc.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I take it when I remember. it helps with belly bloat for me but I have a pretty sensitive stomach.

I add honey and a little water to dissolve it. Then I add 1-2 cups of water and ice and 1-2 tbsp Bragg's ACV (or any brand that has the mother).

As far as weight loss is concerned, I don't drink it for those reasons but it does seem to help my stomach issues.