CrossFit, will it be worth it?

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    In to read the comments from the crossfit hater that stalks the crossfitters... I'm sure she'll follow up with her typical canned response.

That being said, I'd do it if I could afford it. I would not be comfortable doing it outside of a box though b/c I'd want the coaching and training to ensure proper form and what not.

Apparently she's taken to inboxing everyone rather than putting it in the thread, I know this because she apparently thought she could change my mind. Ridiculous.

She might have been banned from the forums. She'll send IMs under JaneBShaw or Health_Gal.

I refer to her as The Queen of Free Time.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I just figured I would throw in my two cents here.

I have tried a lot of different physical activities since I decided to get into shape and I have enjoyed everything I've done because i have the right attitude and the right instruction. That applies to everything I've done from yoga to CrossFit. I feel like most people can tell the difference between someone is pushing you to do your best and someone pushing you beyond your limits. At the end of the day, if it is not something you feel comfortable with, don't do it. And if a teacher/coach/trainer is trying to push you in a direction you don't want to go, then tell them you don't feel comfortable. Keep in mind, THEY WORK FOR YOU, not the other way around.

To the original poster, visit a CrossFit gym and see how they operate. See how they handle the people who work out there and what kind of tips/coaching they give. Don't be afraid to ask for references or testimonials. Good luck!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    In to read the comments from the crossfit hater that stalks the crossfitters... I'm sure she'll follow up with her typical canned response.

That being said, I'd do it if I could afford it. I would not be comfortable doing it outside of a box though b/c I'd want the coaching and training to ensure proper form and what not.

Apparently she's taken to inboxing everyone rather than putting it in the thread, I know this because she apparently thought she could change my mind. Ridiculous.

She might have been banned from the forums. She'll send IMs under JaneBShaw or Health_Gal.

I refer to her as The Queen of Free Time.

I got a PM from her. She didn't like it that I think that people should try it and make up their own minds if it is for them or not.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    CrossFit changed my life. It's the only workout that has ever inspired me to get up at 5am and hit it. I think it's a combination of the awesome workout and the community at my box. I'm happy to pay the price (175/month at my box) because I go all the time, the trainers are awesome and the members are really great supporters and friends. I feel accountable to them, which helps me get up in the morning.

That said, every box is different. Definitely take a tour, watch a class and ask a lot of questions before you sign up. My box has a two week training session for beginners, as well as a non-lifting CrossFit type of workout for those who don't want to work with the bar bells.

A couple of points on the WODS you see on the CrossFit site:

1. The weights and movements are Rx level. You can scale is down as necessary based on your capabilities.
    2. A lot of the heavy lifting (1rm) is done during the strength portion of the class, which is not for time.
    3. Different boxes do different WODs. The girls "Cindy, Karen, etc." are national benchmarking WODs that we do from time to time to measure progress.

Last, the poster who said CrossFitters don't build strength clearly hasn't set foot in a box or spoken with many CrossFitters. I am definitely getting stronger.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You will never argue an anti-crossfitter out of their position. They have to try it for themselves. CF isn't for everyone, but usually people who don't want to push themselves to their limits and just beyond -or- folks who are happy curling in the squat rack and 'mirin themselves in the mirrored wall are the ones who never try CF or they it and quit after two weeks 'cuz they lose their pump.

BTW, the only mirrors in my gym are over the sinks in the bathrooms. We work when we WOD, not pose. ;-)

Way to be a deusche...

So if you don't CF, you're just a ***** then....okey dokey smokey...you're a real winner...
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options

Oof, are you what most crossfitters are? If so, I should stick to my boxing gym where I can punch someone when they act like that...

LOL! If there was a like button I'd be all over this.

I've got nothing against crossfit, I just find this funny.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Last, the poster who said CrossFitters don't build strength clearly hasn't set foot in a box or spoken with many CrossFitters. I am definitely getting stronger.

I actually know many people that CrossFit and as my own hobby I read lots of professionals on the subject of Strength Training, CrossFit, etc. Yes, you can gain strength from CrossFit, especially if you haven't been doing anything, but it's not the same strength you'd gain from Powerlifting or Olympic Lifting per say. The programming of CF does not accommodate such type of gains, it just doesn't. You can read about the how and why from people like Mark Rippletoe and Chad Wesley Smith who are powerlifters that also teach CF athletes. If you watch competitive CF, you'll notice that many of the strongest CF'rs (men and women) also practice Powerlifting or Olympic LIfting.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with CF, but if your goal is to most effectively improve strength, then no CF is not the way to do it. CF is more about endurance and workcapacity, strength is a side-effect more or less. Like somebody said earlier, use the right tool for the right job. If you're going to pull a boat what would you rather have, an 8 cylinder pick-up truck or a 6-cylinder Chevy? Conversely if you were going to drive cross-country what would be more fuel efficient? Both can do the job but one is clearly better for each situation; CF and PL or OL are the same things.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    No thanks. Complicated/technical compound lifts where the measurement of success is often reps for time. Seems to carry an undertone of excess risk by my books.

I don't think you've ever been to a box and watched a workout. You only lift the weight you can handle and we are instructed to never sacrifice form for time.
    None of these workouts, however, require any coaching, and can be done anywhere.

You can say this about a lot of workouts that are done in a group setting. Yoga, Zumba, etc.
    So, if logic holds true in this small sample, the "value" of paying 3-4 times the amount of a traditional gym membership is for proper coaching on doing barbell lifts quickly.

There is definite value in the coaching, but it's also about the community. Everyone at my box is awesome, community and team spirit is encouraged and everyone stays until everyone is done. It's become a great social outlet for me.
  • TNRunnerGal
    TNRunnerGal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been doing Crossfit since February and we love it. We have a great coach who is more concerned that we're using proper form with our weight lifting rather than how much we lift. If he sees you lifting and not using proper form, you will take weight off the bar. Our class is small, 5 - 9 people usually. We pay $240 for two people unlimited. Could I do a lot of this stuff at home? Yes. Would I? No. I like the group aspect of the training and the support we give each other, not to mention having a trainer who cares about us and how we're progressing.
  • JNick77
    Options
    No thanks. Complicated/technical compound lifts where the measurement of success is often reps for time. Seems to carry an undertone of excess risk by my books.

I don't think you've ever been to a box and watched a workout. You only lift the weight you can handle and we are instructed to never sacrifice form for time.
    None of these workouts, however, require any coaching, and can be done anywhere.

You can say this about a lot of workouts that are done in a group setting. Yoga, Zumba, etc.
    So, if logic holds true in this small sample, the "value" of paying 3-4 times the amount of a traditional gym membership is for proper coaching on doing barbell lifts quickly.

There is definite value in the coaching, but it's also about the community. Everyone at my box is awesome, community and team spirit is encouraged and everyone stays until everyone is done. It's become a great social outlet for me.

Good coaching makes all the difference in a successful versus bad CF gym. Unfortunately too many of the bad stories go public. Unfortunately none of the guys that staple themselves to a bench, drop a loaded squat bar from their back, or blow a disc with bad deadlift form never make it anywhere other than YouTube where they just get laughed at instead. LOL
  • PRMinx
    Options

I actually know many people that CrossFit and as my own hobby I read lots of professionals on the subject of Strength Training, CrossFit, etc. Yes, you can gain strength from CrossFit, especially if you haven't been doing anything, but it's not the same strength you'd gain from Powerlifting or Olympic Lifting per say. The programming of CF does not accommodate such type of gains, it just doesn't. You can read about the how and why from people like Mark Rippletoe and Chad Wesley Smith who are powerlifters that also teach CF athletes. If you watch competitive CF, you'll notice that many of the strongest CF'rs (men and women) also practice Powerlifting or Olympic LIfting.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with CF, but if your goal is to most effectively improve strength, then no CF is not the way to do it. CF is more about endurance and workcapacity, strength is a side-effect more or less. Like somebody said earlier, use the right tool for the right job. If you're going to pull a boat what would you rather have, an 8 cylinder pick-up truck or a 6-cylinder Chevy? Conversely if you were going to drive cross-country what would be more fuel efficient? Both can do the job but one is clearly better for each situation; CF and PL or OL are the same things.

Meh. Then you should have said that CrossFit does not accommodate olympic lifting level strength (although a lot of boxes have olympic lifting as a special class that is included in the unlimited fee).

Not everyone is lifting heavy to be the best body builder they can be. The level of strength I'm building at CrossFit has been awesome. I can see it in my muscle tone, I can feel in my day to day activities and I'm increasing my 1rm pretty steadily. But, yeah, I guess it's how you want to define strength and how much you want to split hairs.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    You will never argue an anti-crossfitter out of their position. They have to try it for themselves. CF isn't for everyone, but usually people who don't want to push themselves to their limits and just beyond -or- folks who are happy curling in the squat rack and 'mirin themselves in the mirrored wall are the ones who never try CF or they it and quit after two weeks 'cuz they lose their pump.

BTW, the only mirrors in my gym are over the sinks in the bathrooms. We work when we WOD, not pose. ;-)

Way to be a deusche...

So if you don't CF, you're just a ***** then....okey dokey smokey...you're a real winner...

How do you know he's German?
  • bostonwolf
    Options

Meh. Then you should have said that CrossFit does not accommodate olympic lifting level strength (although a lot of boxes have olympic lifting as a special class that is included in the unlimited fee).

Not everyone is lifting heavy to be the best body builder they can be. The level of strength I'm building at CrossFit has been awesome. I can see it in my muscle tone, I can feel in my day to day activities and I'm increasing my 1rm pretty steadily. But, yeah, I guess it's how you want to define strength and how much you want to split hairs.

I don't view Crossfit/Powerlifting/Olympic Lifting as either/or. Crossfit incorporates both powerlifting moves and Olympic moves, they just broaden the focus to overall fitness level.

You are right, if I was focused on pure strength gains I would not do CF. The energy spend on cardio capacity would be better spent gaining strength. Right now, though, my focus is overall fitness so Crossfit is the superior workout for me.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Good coaching makes all the difference in a successful versus bad CF gym. Unfortunately too many of the bad stories go public. Unfortunately none of the guys that staple themselves to a bench, drop a loaded squat bar from their back, or blow a disc with bad deadlift form never make it anywhere other than YouTube where they just get laughed at instead. LOL

So true. Bad stories spread much quicker than the good ones.

LOL at your last comment.
  • JNick77
    Options

I would like to keep this constructive and positive, so work with me here. :) First and foremost, Bodybuilder don't typically lift "heavy" but rather include an incredible amount of volume and body-part splits.

That's good your strength has been increasing and I never said that you can't build strength in CF. What did you do prior to CF? My point was merely picking the right tool for the right goal. If you think about it from the Optimal standpoint (most bang for your buck) CF is not the right tool for optimal levels of strength improvement. Conversely, Oly or PL is not the ideal tool for endurance or strength-endurance. My GF does Boot Camp which is extremely similar to CF in terms of programming and they even do some weights and olympic lifts in her class. Has she gotten stronger, yes. But if she were to follow a more olympic lifter or powerlifter style of lifting in the same length of time she's been doing BC she would be even stronger than she is now. It's just a matter of goals and something that a few people haven't mentioned, what you enjoy doing. I'm not here to criticize either method, but simply provide insight into what is best for the right fitness goal.
  • JNick77
    Options
    You are right, if I was focused on pure strength gains I would not do CF. The energy spend on cardio capacity would be better spent gaining strength. Right now, though, my focus is overall fitness so Crossfit is the superior workout for me.

^^
    That's the only point I was trying to make. Glad you enjoy CF and it's getting you where you want to go.
  • hollietkac
    hollietkac Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started CrossFit at an affiliate gym 1.5 months ago and I am in love with it. Seriously, it's my soulmate workout. I debated trying it for over a year because of the cost, but I'm so glad I finally decided to start going. At my box, the trainers are very good and helpful. I feel like I am well instructed in proper form during the skill part of class, and during WODs. In addition, I would never warmup on my own as good as we warmup during class, so that's a definitely benefit to injury prevention.

What are your goals? Do you like the physique CrossFitters get? Does the idea of getting better at highly functional movements like lifts, pullups, etc sound rewarding to you? If so, CrossFit might be a good fit. If not, maybe something else is your cup of tea. But follow those tips - What physique do you like? And what do those people do to get it? What would be rewarding to you skills wise? (Maybe it's getting deeper into crazy yoga poses or learning a martial art, could be anything!)

$100/month is an amazing price (compared to LA prices... lol). Doesn't hurt to try it for a month!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I JUST started - as in, finished the 3-day on-ramp program Monday, and had my first class today. I am apparently incredibly weak after being incredibly strong when I weighed 200+lbs more than I do now. With that said, my coach (who also did the 1:1 on-ramp) is very particular about technique and has had me doing very light weights/fewer reps until I get the lifting technique absolutely correct. It's a little embarrassing to be the only person with dumbbells in the class (while everyone else is using the bar), but I'm ok with this until I get the motions correct.

I would recommend trying out the free Saturday work out (or find out when the bring a friend day is at your local box) to see if you gel with the coaches and if they make sure you're doing everything correctly. I have been doing body pump for several months and my technique has been all wrong. Even my rowing needed some tweaking. Make sure the coaches push you, but also watch out for your health/well-being/safety.
  • JNick77
    Options

What are your goals? Do you like the physique CrossFitters get?

Let's not confuse the OP with anything here, physique is largely determined by diet. I've seen many CF'ers that look like PL'ers and OL'ers. The OP's fitness goals is the most relevant question, body comp is mainly a dietary topic.
  • PRMinx
    Options

I would like to keep this constructive and positive, so work with me here. :) First and foremost, Bodybuilder don't typically lift "heavy" but rather include an incredible amount of volume and body-part splits.

That's good your strength has been increasing and I never said that you can't build strength in CF. What did you do prior to CF? My point was merely picking the right tool for the right goal. If you think about it from the Optimal standpoint (most bang for your buck) CF is not the right tool for optimal levels of strength improvement. Conversely, Oly or PL is not the ideal tool for endurance or strength-endurance. My GF does Boot Camp which is extremely similar to CF in terms of programming and they even do some weights and olympic lifts in her class. Has she gotten stronger, yes. But if she were to follow a more olympic lifter or powerlifter style of lifting in the same length of time she's been doing BC she would be even stronger than she is now. It's just a matter of goals and something that a few people haven't mentioned, what you enjoy doing. I'm not here to criticize either method, but simply provide insight into what is best for the right fitness goal.

Ok. I can see that.

Shhhh....don't say that CrossFit is similar to Bootcamp. Health_Gal will hear you and then kill you in your sleep.