Adding in amount of walking done throughout the day?

Options
In my fitness diary, I have been adding 15 minutes of "2.5 mph walking (leisurely pace)" for my average amount of walking throughout my normal day. Is this a good idea, or will it just mess up my calorie count and minutes of cardiovascular exercising?

(although when I add it in, I don't REALLY count it as exercise, but it adds to my total. For instance, if I truly exercised for 40 minutes, I would consider that my goal was met, instead of 25 minutes if I added in normal walking. Does this make sense?)

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The activity level that you set when you joined MFP should account for the amount that you are active/walking on any average day. i would just make sure that your initial account set-up is accurate and not worry about trying to add in normal everyday walking.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    The activity level that you set when you joined MFP should account for the amount that you are active/walking on any average day. i would just make sure that your initial account set-up is accurate and not worry about trying to add in normal everyday walking.

I agree with this unless it's a day when you are unusually active. Besides my workouts my days are not especially active, but yesterday I was on the go and on my feet from 5:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Very unusual for me and I knew I needed a bit more food than usual. I think I logged something like an hour at 2mph slow pace. Just something to create some kind of balance with my calories and activity in my diary. I would not do that for normal everyday walking like around the grocery store or around the house doing chores.
  • Kirijyma
    Kirijyma Posts: 35
    Options

I agree with this unless it's a day when you are unusually active. Besides my workouts my days are not especially active, but yesterday I was on the go and on my feet from 5:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Very unusual for me and I knew I needed a bit more food than usual. I think I logged something like an hour at 2mph slow pace. Just something to create some kind of balance with my calories and activity in my diary. I would not do that for normal everyday walking like around the grocery store or around the house doing chores.

I log it for chore, when I clean...I clean! And I'm sweating at the end of it! So I log it in :D
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    eh i wouldn't add it, i would calculate it in as part of my regular activity level, i only log like long walks with hills with the dog where we are out for like an hour or hiking or something, but not leisurely walking. some people log it though to each their own
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

I log it for chore, when I clean...I clean! And I'm sweating at the end of it! So I log it in :D

lol yes i only log cleaning if it is like hands and knees scrubbing the bathroom and kitchen down, that **** does work up a sweat no doubt
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    The walking you do regularly is calculated into your TDEE when you choose your activity level.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate

Your TDEE is your BMR + the additional calories you burn from regular activity.

So unless it is something you don't commonly do and you list yourself as sedentary, I wouldn't log it. Seeing calories burned in your log can be a great motivator, but when you over estimate what you are doing you're just slowing down progress.

For this reason I would be cautious of logging calories burned from random stuff unless you are specifically measuring what you are burning. Using a randomly generated calorie expenditure on MFP when you have no idea if it is accurate is a quick way to stall your diet.

Being a 1-200 calories under your goal every now and then is not a big deal, but being 200+ over daily because you are miscalculating is a big deal. You'll be wasting all your efforts on a gamble.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I only log extra walkin during the day if --shopping all day- amusement park - trips to Boston ...again these are out side of my normal daily walking
  • crazahunicorn
    Options
    My setting is sedentary, as I spend 8 hours a day at school, but should I change it to lightly active and not log it in? Or should I keep the setting...and, well still not log it in?
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    15min of slow walking will still leave you in the sedentary category and be in your TDEE. Even if you work a desk job you at least do that much going to the bathroom, walking from the car to the office, cruising around your home. 15mins walking is also such a small amount.

Don't log it, It will make things simple.

Start logging when you are actually out with the intent of working out, or on your feet all day doing something out of the ordinary like others have suggested.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything outside of intentional working out. I just see it as bonus to counteract unintentional errors in calorie counting.
  • devils44
    devils44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I only add walking calories when I am doing something out of my ordinary day (such as walking around at fairs, parties, yard work, etc).