Extra Skin from Weight Loss? How to help?

Options
Has anyone had excess skin around your stomach or arms from weight loss? if so, how did you help to fix that, and if you havent how did you make it so you didnt??

Replies

• pacsqueen
    Options
    I have the same issue! Hope someone has some answers....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    My experience is that people with more than 80lbs to lose will invariably have some loose skin somewhere on their body. Each person will have it hang different with the abs, arms and inner thighs being the most prominent. Genetics, age and how fast one loses will play a role. If you have it, then it may take a year for it to retract more, or you may option surgery for removal. There are no exercises to do that address this issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Give it time. One year at maintenance will be as good as it is going to get.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I don't think theres much you can do. I think its luck of the draw. I have no loose skin on my arms or stomach. I do have a little bit on my upper inner thighs. It is what it is. Better than what was there before :wink:
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly, incorporate resistance, hope your skin bounces back. That's all you can really do.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do except live with it or get surgery to remove the skin.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Ironically insurance wont usually pay for the various weight loss surgeries - one reason among others I opted not to have it. However most will cover the surgery to remove the skin if it causes rashes or other issues.
  • clbowman91
    Options
    I knew I'd have some from the 10 million stretch marks I have on my stomach (from being pregnant), thighs, arms, chest, etc. I use Aveeno Skin Firming lotion. It's about 8 bucks at Wal-Mart, so I was a little hesitant, because I'm not one for spending that much for lotion. However, I love it. It says you can tell a difference in your skin elasticity and appearance within 2 weeks, but I saw a difference withing a few days. I don't know that it will eliminate all loose skin, but it sure helps. Drinking a LOT of water helps with skin elasticity as well. Plus, strength training will build muscles and help fill in that lose skin. (: Hope this helps. (: I lost weight before about 25 lbs and I used the lotion, drank a lot of water, and lifted and I never had a problem. Now my skin my wrinkle from the stretch marks but I don't think I'll have any issues with loose skin. I have 50 lbs to lose.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with loose skin. I've lost 80 pounds and have another 20-30 pounds to go. It took me 2.5 years to lose 80 pounds - cant' get much slower than that! The doc won't even see me unless I've lost 100 pounds. My stomach bounces and I have a hard time jogging and doing plyometrics, as it pulls my pants down. It sucks. I work out at least 3 days a week - and I work hard. I participate in races and even competed in a strongman competion and came in 4th place out of 8 in the women's division against women half my age! (I'm 46.) So, slow weight loss and muscle tone may have little or no impact on your skin. All you can do is get to your goal weight and hope for the best. The Plastic Surgeion will probably tell you that you have to maintain your weight loss for at least 6 months so have your primary doctor document your weight NOW so if you have to have skin surgery later on down the road, you will have properly documented your weight loss to prove to your Plastic Surgeon and maybe, if you are lucky, your insurance company might help out a bit depending on your benefit package.
  • daxnine
    daxnine Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i've heard dry skin brushing helps
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've lost gained and lost the same 60-100 lbs four times... I have a LOT of loose skin on my stomach yet I have clear abs (see pic?)... I am able to 'tuck in' the loose skin. I could have surgery to remove it I suppose but the risks on abdominoplasty are not for me. Some people just have loose skin- we don't all look like fitness models at goal- that's okay- healthy is what matters :).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I lost over 300 pounds so my skin wasn't returning to any resemblance of being normal so last september I had 17 lbs. of skin removed in a circumferential body lift.. Minus the pain part the first week, it was the best decision I ever made... Each person will have to deal with loose skin dependent to alot of factors like age, genetics, how long you carried the weight, how fast your lost it, etc...... Best of Luck

If you want to see my surgery journey I have documented it on my website; www.gettingfit4life.com
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different but there are all sorts of creams and skin firming lotions out there. Some people seem to have it worse than others. Nobody wants surgery. Idk
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    my 100lb loss was over the course of nearly 2 years. still have a fair bit to go. strength training has definitely helped with the loose skin. i'm very very thankful there's not a lot.

coconut oil as an all over moisturizer has also been a HUGE help. i'll whip it up with sweet almond oil (high in vitamin e) as well. Bio oil is a big help as well with the stretch marks. at $30 for the large bottle at wal-mart though, i use it sparingly.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I have very little loose skin. There's a bit on my lower tummy and a bit on my inner thighs but not enough to bother me. I didn't do anything special to prevent loose skin. No skin brushing, no lotions. I lost about 5 lbs/month.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before, but here's how it goes. It will take your skin the same amount of time that you gained the weight to go back to it's correct size. You've stretched it. So if you gained weight over three years, but you lost the weight in one year, it will take two more years for your skin to unstretch. The recommendation is to NOT have your stretched skin surgically removed. You have to have patience with your body.

Slow weight loss allows the skin to adjust as you lose weight. So let's say you put the weight on over three years, but it takes you three years to your goal weight, which, with exercise, might be more than you were before. It won't take that long for your skin to get back to where it needs to be.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!