Slower Weight Loss - Why!?

Options
So about 7 months ago I was over 200 pounds, in two months I dropped down to 179. When I became involved in a romantic relationship I found it difficult to make time to exercise and gained 10 pounds.

So the question is, why is it before I was able to lose weight much faster and now is much slower?

I've nearly tripled the cardio that I used to do prior to my relationship and doubled the strength training I do. I've also been more strict with my diet. In my head I feel like I should be seeing results sooner.

Before my relationship I managed to get rid of my love handles and my abs were just starting to show. When I took a picture today to compare it really kind of put me down.

When I started working out I was 184lbs about a month ago - I started taking creatine like I had been near the end of the diet I was on before I stopped working out. That week I went up to 190 and I'm now only 185 month later.

Replies

• itsscottwilder
    Options
    log your food intake for a few days. That will help paint a better picture.
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I know everyone is going to notice that you are not logging in your food, when they go to look at your diary. Logging your food and exercise is really important. For one thing, it's the only way anyone can give you any valuable advice. They will also want to know how many calories you are aiming to eat every day.
  • calpeachmfp
    calpeachmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ditto . . . write it down. I was a little surprised when I started logging my food in to MFP. I thought my salads were like 200 calories . . . they're really more like 400! It's all good stuff, but it adds up.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I'm out. Too much assuming for me.

You know what assuming does, right?

I'm am a gambling man though so here's my bet: You're underestimating the amount of calories you're eating.

Good luck moving forward.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your BMR? Set your goals around this. You may be eatting too little or too much.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables involved that it would be impossible to evaluate your situation.
    - It could be water retention (what is your sodium and water intake),
    - it could be the creatine (I gained weight when I started using it),
    - it could be your food choices (macros can matter),
    - it could be a drop in your metabolism (are you actually eating too little?),
    - it could be muscle mass (doubtful),
    - it could be a tumor,
    - it could be a problem with your scale,
    - etc.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    200% increase in cardio.
    100% increase in weight training.
    Less calories consumed.
    Weight loss slower.

If I were to make an assumption based on that alone, muscles retaining water to repair themselves which they can't do without rest days, excessive cardio, and (assuming a goal of 1 lb/week and going by August 17th and 18th) a daily deficit of 2,500-3,000 calories.

If you had 80 pounds of body fat, you could (assuming 31 calories per pound) metabolise 2,480 calories of fat per day. If you have 40 pounds of body fat, you can metabolise 1,240 calories of fat per day, so a 2,500 calorie deficit would mean you are potentially metabolising 2 pounds of muscle per day (600 calories per pound). If you have 30 pounds of body fat, that becomes 930 calories from fat (~0.27 lb per day) and 1,570 from muscle (~2.62 lb per day).

Something doesn't add up with your numbers. If I were to trust the limited data available, I'd advise going to a doctor for your eating disorder and/or undiagnosed medical condition.