Best whey protein powder in the UK?

Options
So after my last thread about how to get more protein in me, even though I'm not a fan of milkshakes, I am seriously considering just trying some whey protein powder and seeing how I get on with it.

But there are so many! So I was wondering, for those of you in the UK, which do you think is the best? In regards to taste especially but also for low calorie/carb/fat content and value for money. And which would you most recommend.

Also where do you buy it from and how much do you pay (if you don't mind me asking)?

Thank you!

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I use nutrisport 90+. Its not the best tasting & the brand has been around for years, but at 45g protein per serving its pretty good. 908g on Amazon I think I paid around £16 last tub. Bit chalky but I throw in a shot of soy milk to cream it up. Plus if you bake bars with it then its a no brained at that price. Depends on what you want really. I'm not fussed about taste that much as I just chug it down. Means to an ends. Its also very low carb & about 200cals a serving.
  • xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks, I'm a bit funny with stuff tasting like that, but I might look into cooking with it, sounds interesting! :)
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use the Holland and Barrett powder. I usually buy plenty when its on offer... My favourite is the cookies and cream flavour, mixed in with yogurt. Funny though, I thought I would love the chocolate flavour, but thats the one flavour I wouldnt buy again
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I also use the Holland and Barrett one but I like the chocolate and HATE the cookies & cream. :laugh: I've tried them all and chocolate and natural are the only ones I like. They're on offer a lot so I usually get two 908g tubs for around £40.

A scoop has approximately 100 cals, 3g carbs, 1g fat and 21g protein depending on the flavour but they're all roughly the same.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your best bet are: bulk powders, the protein works, go nutrition, my protein. Way more cheaper than H&B (not good quality)
    Nutrisport are good value, but taste is 50/50, some like it, some hate... a bit like Marmite :laugh:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I like Dymatize ISO 100 (choc flavour, vanilla is nice too).

It's an isolate. No fat, no cholesterol, no carbs, and 24 grams of Hydrolyzed WPI

Reviews here: http://supplementreviews.com/dymatize/iso-100
    http://www.bestproteinpowdersite.com/dymatize-nutrition-iso-100-smooth-banana-protein-powder-review/

I'm in the UK. I tend to order it online.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i think its really just a matter of taste.

maximuscle is nice but expensive (on offer for £20 at tesco just now though).

Both ON 100% (whey and cassein) and pharma are nice and the websites often have offers - both these companies sell sample sizes for around £1 so you can try them out.

Holland & Barret are useless - the staff have no clue what they're talking about and they're overpriced.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I order from myprotein.com, good range of flavours and good value for money IMO.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    See if you can get samples from either the web or eBay etc to try.

I use USN stuff, tried the Banana and Strawberry and like both - I prefer mixing with milk rather than water.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I order from myprotein.com, good range of flavours and good value for money IMO.

My protein is good quality and great price, but they have orrible customer service... Still ordering from them, tho...
  • hannahlclrk
    hannahlclrk Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition. great taste, mixes easily and hardly any carbs, 24g of protein per serv and 120 ish cals (cant remember 100%)
  • hannahlclrk
    hannahlclrk Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    had a sample from bulk powders once and the chocoate was awful so now im too scared to try any thing else incase its vile :0
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use My Protein and order it online. I wait until they have a good offer on and buy in bulk. I always get both vanilla and chocolate smooth, they taste good and can be used in lots of different things.
  • xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'll look into these :)