Discrimination... still eating at me!!!

2»

Replies

• HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Some companies make no bones about the fact that they aren't interested in making bigger sizes. Lululemon makes yoga clothes and don't hide the fact that they only appeal to the thinner crowd.

As a consumer, I think the best way to voice our opinions is to watch where we spend our money.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Some companies make no bones about the fact that they aren't interested in making bigger sizes. Lululemon makes yoga clothes and don't hide the fact that they only appeal to the thinner crowd.

As a consumer, I think the best way to voice our opinions is to watch where we spend our money.

For sure!!!

Why I was so upset and confused is because they WERE selling cloths in my size I always went there, but I feel like I'm sounding like a broken record player at this point....seriously just never going back there....they have a right to sell whatever they want, but um there's a thing called common sense...tell me in the first place, or put a damn sign up!
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    It's not their responsibility to tell you what they sell. Perhaps it's a change in policy that they didn't communicate to their staff very well.

The point in that they WERE selling clothes in your size, and they are not NOW. Whatever! Obviously they weren't selling enough to make it profitable. Do you not have other things in life to occupy your mind?

Yes, you said it, there is a thing called common sense.....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    It seems likely to me that their "extended" sizes were not selling as well so they made them online only so that they could use the space in their stores for things that are selling better. That's not discrimination it's just business.

The employees most likely were not singling you out-- you did say they were rude to your husband as well. They're probably just bad employees, or having a bad day. As for the last bit- "it's not like we were trying to hide them from you"- you had already asked to speak to a manager so they probably figured you were about to complain about them.

Aeropostale is not going to have the same kind of customer service as a 5-star resort. That said, complaining to management is reasonable and you've done that. The best thing to do now is to try to let it go, and just don't shop there anymore.
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    It's not their responsibility to tell you what they sell. Perhaps it's a change in policy that they didn't communicate to their staff very well.

The point in that they WERE selling clothes in your size, and they are not NOW. Whatever! Obviously they weren't selling enough to make it profitable. Do you not have other things in life to occupy your mind?

What an oxymoron.

You are here, wasting your time responding to someone, just so you can point out how she's wasting her time by posting about a subject.

How dismissive and rude. She posted in the "Motivation and Support" forum. I believe you're lost. You should probably head over to the "Flog and Humiliate" board.
  • Willoughby18
    Willoughby18 Posts: 13 Member

What an oxymoron.

You are here, wasting your time responding to someone, just so you can point out how she's wasting her time by posting about a subject.

How dismissive and rude. She posted in the "Motivation and Support" forum. I believe you're lost. You should probably head over to the "Flog and Humiliate" board.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :flowerforyou:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    It seemed they were discriminating towards my size, especially because now they basically only have sizes 00-10, and even told my husband that anything larger than that they normally won't carry now...ughh
    I am sorry you feel so badly and i really feel for you. but I fail to see what was discriminatory against YOU. they didn't single YOU out. they didn't give you that up-and-down-flick-of-the-eye and say "we don't have anything for YOU" a la Pretty Woman.

So *this chain* doesn't sell your size - this is not a discriminatory move, but a financial one (may be a stupid misguided one, but it's their choice). this is a store - they don't make laws or initiate important social changes. just because they said that 12 is large, doesn't make it so.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking to gain from writing to "corporate" or posting on their FB, but my experience has been that stepping away from the issue for 24 hours and letting myself calm down before i write to them usually gets me better results.
  • I don't really understand how this is "discriminatory." The shop assistants sound like they could perhaps use a lesson in tact, but I think what happened to you could have happened to anybody.

As far as not selling your size in stores anymore, that's not discriminatory. That's business. They must not have been making enough money selling size 12s in store and so they moved them on line. This sort of thing happens all of the time. You can't expect companies to continue stocking items that don't sell well just to keep things "fair."

If you don't like this place, don't shop there anything more. I don't think that there's much else that you can do at this point.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    There are several issues at play but not one of them is discrimination. To use the word discrimination actually makes light of cases where actual discrimination does occur.

There is no obligation on the part of a shop to stock your size. Full stop. That's not discrimination; it's business.

Yes, you experienced rude sales people and you have every right to complain about that. That also is not discrimination; it's bad customer service.

They are not going to change their store stocking policy because you liked to shop there and now you cannot.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Maybe they were both English majors.
  • Ugh, that is just horrible. It reminds me of an article I read this summer with similar sentiments about Lululemon.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/lululemon-plus-size_n_3675605.html
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    I don't know why you even tried to shop there. Their stores are notorious for this snobbish ugly treatment of people. I wouldn't give them a dime of my money.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    So sorry you were treated that way. I get it!

For the folks blasting you about being upset, what is eating yall? The OP was hurt by rude behavior of twits. It was uncalled for. It makes her feel better to talk about it and get some support. I don't blame her one bit for being upset. I didn't get the impresssion it was 'consuming her life'--she just wanted to get it out and let us know what happened in That Store. I understand that it is marketing, but geez, she has a right to feel mistreated--as she totally was. I don't understand why people post on the Motivation and Support site something that bothers them ONLY to be TALKED DOWN TO or basically told they are stupid by snide comments.

IF YOU CAN'T BE SUPPORTIVE, then don't respond. Whatever happened to the saying 'Put yourself in their shoes' ???

OP---I snooped your profile pics. YOU ARE GORGEOUS. Don't let ANYONE make you feel any less. Size 12 is NO DANG SHAME size. Notify company of the rudeness. Never go there again even if you are a size 4. I won't buy a thing there for my grandchildren! I am just sick to death of rudeness! Has everybody just forgotten how to be kind?

Oh, my 'inner meanie' says go back in the store when you are a 10 (dressed to the max)....and pull a 'PRETTY WOMAN' move where Julia Roberts goes back to the store where they treated her so rude ! Hope you have seen the movie!

Good luck, keep your head up, ignore the Mean Girls and hug that wonderful hubby !
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Stores can sell whatever sizes they want, it is called business. Some stores cater to smaller sizes, some cater to larger sizes. It isn't discriminatio. As for the customer service: All you can do is complain and then it is out of your hands. The only thing left for you to do is not shop there anymore or order your size online.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    So sorry you were treated that way. I get it!

For the folks blasting you about being upset, what is eating yall? The OP was hurt by rude behavior of twits. It was uncalled for. It makes her feel better to talk about it and get some support. I don't blame her one bit for being upset. I didn't get the impresssion it was 'consuming her life'--she just wanted to get it out and let us know what happened in That Store. I understand that it is marketing, but geez, she has a right to feel mistreated--as she totally was. I don't understand why people post on the Motivation and Support site something that bothers them ONLY to be TALKED DOWN TO or basically told they are stupid by snide comments.

IF YOU CAN'T BE SUPPORTIVE, then don't respond. Whatever happened to the saying 'Put yourself in their shoes' ???

OP---I snooped your profile pics. YOU ARE GORGEOUS. Don't let ANYONE make you feel any less. Size 12 is NO DANG SHAME size. Notify company of the rudeness. Never go there again even if you are a size 4. I won't buy a thing there for my grandchildren! I am just sick to death of rudeness! Has everybody just forgotten how to be kind?

Oh, my 'inner meanie' says go back in the store when you are a 10 (dressed to the max)....and pull a 'PRETTY WOMAN' move where Julia Roberts goes back to the store where they treated her so rude ! Hope you have seen the movie!

Good luck, keep your head up, ignore the Mean Girls and hug that wonderful hubby !

THANK YOU!!! (and yes I have seen pretty woman!!!)

As far as everyone else goes, I understand everyone doesn't have the same perspective and that it is a business but as most of you know it is a challenge and a journey loosing weight, so I was so pumped on that day because I had been doing so well, and then just to be treated like that was HORRIBLE!!! Discrimination or not, how they acted and handled the situation was COMPLETELY WRONG!!!!

I am not letting it consume me, but it still irked me since I couldn't voice myself to anyone, I am NOT ever going back in there, and COMMON SENSE would tell you if I asked then TELL ME that they don't sell those sizes anymore not make me feel like an *kitten* while I'm running around trying to find something to fit me because I LOVED that store, and yell at me like as if I'm a piece of trash to you. I wasn't rude to them what-so-ever just visibly upset. ANYONE in CUSTOMER SERVICE should understand that. I have worked in customer service for over 6 years in 2 timeshare resorts and half in management, and don't expect 5 star status everywhere I go, but as a human being all they had to do was apologize, or just say I'm sorry we only sell those sizes online now, not have a sarcastic attitude!!! That is the main point I am trying to get across!!!

One way or another everyone has been upset about themselves at some point in their lives, I deal with it all the time now, and I am trying to regain my confidence back so to just knock me down like that pissed me off, upset me, and is unacceptable, and I won't stand for it. It is being handled professionally, but I just wanted to vent. Now I am done venting.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    I don't think it's discrimination for a store to only sell certain sizes, but I do think that these employees were unprofessional and rude about it, and I think you should write a complaint letter about that.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Ugh, that is just horrible. It reminds me of an article I read this summer with similar sentiments about Lululemon.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31/lululemon-plus-size_n_3675605.html

This article is a joke. I basically live in lululemon. And never once have I seen size 12s hidden in the back. They are in the same shelves as the other items.

And if lulu chooses to only make up to a size 10/12 in their items that is their choice. I worked my butt off (literally) to be able to wear their clothes. But I never felt shunned in that store, even when all I could buy was headbands.

I'm not sure where this entitlement ideal has come from. We can't have everything we want. And sometimes you have to work to get what you want. You wanna wear lulu and they don't make your size...keep working out and getting healthier and you'll be shopping there. (The "you" in this is general, not anyone specific).
  • rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    I was thinking about this thread on my run today (yeah... I do that kind of thing). I will say... its not Discrimination, its something to piss you off, yep.. totally... but if I was to apply this the other way we'll see how it sits. Here in Australia we have a shop called City Chic. Its a Aust 14-26 store (USA 10/12 - 20/22) . Now, for a long time I've loved their clothes, they do such amazing cuts and don't make 'bigger girls' feel like they're wearing a tent with ugly prints on it. Problem now? I'm a size 5-6 USA or a 10-12 here. No more clothes for me from that store. They aren't DISCRIMINATING against me, because I'm too small to wear their clothes, they are simply offering a service that I can choose to buy from or not based on my own personal needs. Arguably, I could gain weight to fit into their clothes (obviously not my game plan - but possible).

The short of it, around the world there are **** staff in stores. They don't care if you come back, and normally they're causals who are doing it for spending money and not to make a life long job in whatever company they happen to work for.

There are plenty of stores (not just clothes stores) where I will not step foot in their store anymore because they have rubbish customer service. Just don't go there anymore - easy :)