fearing food

Options
Today I realized something while at work.

My team and I were driving around town running errands when we pasted a Checkers. I had never been to one and asked what it was. Apparently its a fast food burger chain that has yummy fries and shakes. In my head I thought, oh that sounds good, maybe on my next cheat day I can try that. Then almost immediatly I felt this fear come across me:

I am afraid of food deemed as unhealthy. I am afraid of anything that isn't a vegetable. I have read so much about how much to eat, and what to eat, and how to eat, and when to eat....I am fearing food.

I am afraid to gain back this past year's work. I am worried that being in grad school will cause so much stress I fall back into living on fast food. I am anxious for these next few months as I try and live on a (pathetic) grad student income.

After realizing these fears, I also realized I don't remember my last true cheat day. Sure I have had a not so healthy meal, or grabbed a snack that wasn't the best option, but I always go back to veggies for the next meal. I am also wondering if these subtle fears are what is causing me to have mini cheats...

At this point, I am not really 100% sure what to do. I don't feel totally comfortable not logging my food, and I don't think that is my problem. I also don't want to have a full cheat day and use "trying to get over my fear" as an excuse....I have defiantly hit a platue in my weight loss though.

Any thought's? Has anyone else hit that point in their journey were they are so afraid to go back to what they were, they fear certain foods?

Thanks,
Meghan

Replies

• exie95
    exie95 Posts: 12
    Options
    My thought would be that if you are going to cheat, make it worth it. Make it something really delicious and awesome so you can say "well that meal was a TON of calories, but at least it was delicious"

I heard from someone very wise that you should always "eat with joy"

Only cheat if you know you will be eating with joy, that's my philosophy!

If you know that you won't enjoy the meal because you will feel guilty the second you take a bite, then don't do it.

There's is no point in having a meal that makes you feel terrible while eating it.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I'm facing my feared foods list as we speak... I've been doing for so about 5 weeks now and started by actually making the list, and breaking it down into what situations or circumstances make me the most anxious. I'm starting small and doing food exposures in situations that I feel I can handle right now. For instance, making a meal with family and measuring out my servings so that I know I'm eating normal, balanced meals still.

My list started at a full length page, typed and I've tackled about 12 items so far.

It's slow going and it's very anxiety provoking at times, but I'm trying to find balance and get back to eating in a way that doesn't ostracize me socially.

It's worth it :) Good luck, girl.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Do away with the concept if a "cheat meal," and eat moderate amounts of food you enjoy every day.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you on the fear of eating some foods. I went for 4 months without pizza (my favorite)! I finally made one and tried to use lighter ingredients. But, after eating it was very difficult for me to get back on track. I decided that I needed to start eating some foods that I consider "off limits" just so I would learn that I could get back on my plan. Went on vacation and enjoyed eating out every day but got right back on my plan when I got home.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My thought would be that if you are going to cheat, make it worth it. Make it something really delicious and awesome so you can say "well that meal was a TON of calories, but at least it was delicious"

I heard from someone very wise that you should always "eat with joy"

Only cheat if you know you will be eating with joy, that's my philosophy!

If you know that you won't enjoy the meal because you will feel guilty the second you take a bite, then don't do it.

There's is no point in having a meal that makes you feel terrible while eating it.

That is a great quote! Thanks for sharing! I will have to remember it when tempted to cheat to check if I can eat whatever it is with joy or not.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Do away with the concept if a "cheat meal," and eat moderate amounts of food you enjoy every day.

This.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you eat that stuff, you will feel physically awful afterward. I think "little cheats" are okay and fear of fast food is your friend. Use them wisely.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you're doing what most (IMO) normal eaters do: have a little splurge then get back on track. You don't have to have a cheat day, or a cheat meal, or a cheat anything unless you honestly want to. Food fears, in my case, have gone away with time. I have realized that life is too short not to enjoy something I want. A hamburger, pizza, etc. isn't going to make a huge difference as long as it is in a controlled manner and not a binge fest.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic that I'd like to know more about.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

^This.

Everything in moderation.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    This might be something worth addressing with a therapist.
  • laserturkey
    Options
    If you eat that stuff, you will feel physically awful afterward. I think "little cheats" are okay and fear of fast food is your friend. Use them wisely.

I heartily disagree. Of course, if a person binges on huge amounts of fast food, they may feel sick, but having a bit once in awhile is just fine. Fit it within your calorie goal and enjoy some fun food occasionally. Fearing food is NOT MENTALLY HEALTHY.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think this website can eventually create a very unhealthy relationship with food.

You should not fear any foods. And I'm pretty sure you probably didn't before you joined here right?

I took a break from MFP for a year for these reasons.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    I so agree with this! I hate the idea of "Cheat Meals/Days" ... I don't believe in them... I am doing this whole healthy living for life.. its not going to be just a temporary thing until I meet my goal... That being said, I do not restrict the "Bad Foods" from my diet.. I just eat them in moderation if I have a craving... I have friends who use cheat days as a day to eat whatever the heck they want and basically they exceed their calorie intake so much so that they completely ruin the progress they made earlier in the week.. its pointless. Integrate some of the foods back into your life... don't be afraid of them, just don't make it an everyday thing... if you want a burger go eat one(I always get them w/o Mayo-saves about 150 cals!).
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    At this point, I don't avoid fast food because I'm afraid of it. I would just honestly rather use my calories on other things. I eat ice cream and cookies and cake, but I haven't had a fast food burger, taco, etc., in going on 4 years. It's been at least a year since I've had pizza. When I plan out my days, I would just rather have steak and bacon and chocolate or an awesome homemade cheeseburger than something from McDonald's.
    fear of fast food is your friend. Use them wisely.

No. Avoiding fast food should be a conscious choice. It shouldn't be done out of fear. It's not the food itself that's going to hurt you. It's eating too much of it.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sometimes fear is a good thing, like in this case.
  • laserturkey
    Options

Nope.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Nope.

Yup.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Nope.

Yup.

This
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    I avoid fast food, because I'm afraid of it. Not for the same reasons as the OP, though. I'm afraid of it, because it's entirely processed and isn't real food to begin with. The thought of eating that junk makes me feel sick. Gross.

As for eating delicious foods, I'm in the moderation camp. I refuse to give up my cheese, for one. :)