Buca Di Beppo

Options
Hi all! Was hoping for a little advice for dinner tonight. My family is taking me to Buci Di Peppo to celebrate my birthday and I have no idea what to eat. This will be my first time eating there. It is a family style (meaning large sharable dishes) Italian restaurant and there is no nutrition info on their website. Has anyone eaten there and if so what is the best dish to order? Everything on the menu looks really good and extremely bad for you.

They have salads but again it looks like they are also family style. I am probably the only one that will eat a salad if ordered and that is just way to much for one person (not to mention $12-$14 per salad depending on which one you order!) . I would really love to try something else just don't know what is "safe".

Thanks for any advice you can offer! Hope everyone has a great day!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I love Buca di Beppo. The large shareable meals make it virtually impossible to accurately count, so your best bet is to just consider it a treat meal and not worry. I have eaten there plenty of times and love it!
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I worked at Buca (as a WA) for some time. I have no idea what your goals are, but I will say... Just enjoy the evening out, focus on the diet any other day of the year. Happy birthday!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Since it's your birthday, I'd suggest forgetting about trying to meet your calorie goal, especially at Buca de Beppo. The food is awesome there but not at all conducive to calorie counting. Just enjoy an unrestricted day and get back on track tomorrow.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I love that restaurant! Nothing on their menu is healthy, unless you just eat a salad. Enjoy the meal and just get back on track the next day. :)
  • dedeluca
    Options
    I'm going to agree. If it's a celebration for your birthday, enjoy it. Just make sure to be careful with portions since they come out in large dishes.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Eat till your hearts content. Birthdays and Thanksgiving meals don't count :)
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday -- enjoy it!!! It's just one day, it won't derail all your progress. Tracking at Buca would be next to impossible because everything is "family style" where it is shared with the table and you serve yourself from the giant platters. Buca has amazingggg food. Love love it. Have fun!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation recently where every meal was a family-style meal. You watch your portions carefully and search the MFP database for the best option to log. It's definitely do-able.
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    #1 its your birthday
    #2 enjoy
    #3 happy birthday!
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Buca Di Beppo.....Enjoy the ride, It's one day.

And the food is amazing.
  • johnnola
    Options
    Some pasta with a grilled chicken and maybe a red sauce seems reasonable. But I agree with others....just enjoy the birthday!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    #1 its your birthday
    #2 enjoy
    #3 happy birthday!

QFT

Just eat and enjoy :) If you feel guilty- work out before hand.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Okay well first off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :drinker:

Secondly, treat yourself and DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!

Everyone deserves a birthday meal without guilt so come January, I will probably eat a HUGE piece of cheesecake hahaha! :laugh:
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I was told that calories do not count on birthdays and weight gain was impossible. :wink:
  • marcgo2
    marcgo2 Posts: 15
    Options
    Just work out in the morning and earn some extra calories for the day and then eat all you want. Happy Birthday!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I love Buca DI Beppo! One time, when I was in the middle of being militant about counting every single thing I ate, I took a plastic measuring cup with me, and discreetly measured out my serving. You may think that's kind of nutty, but when I'm in my all or nothing mode, not even birthdays will sidetrack me.
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the meal.. Happy Birthday :flowerforyou: Celebrate your birthday and that you are making healthy choices. My birthday is tomorrow. I plan to get a walk in at lunch and then enjoy eating wherever my husband is going to take me. I'll hit the gym Sat morning.
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I decided to have a very light lunch and then enjoyed my dinner. You are all right. Birthdays dont count and The food was amazing! :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I decided to have a very light lunch and then enjoyed my dinner. You are all right. Birthdays dont count and The food was amazing! :)

Yay! Happy Birthday! You definitely made the right choice!