Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hey, does anyone know where I can get a heart rate monitor that isn't too expensive? The only ones I can find are around
£30-£50!

Replies

• lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This may not be the answer you want to hear, but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway: I've been wearing a heart rate monitor for years. I started with the wrist kind for about $30. Obviously it was hard to it to track my heart rate because it had to track the pulse in my wrist. It was useless. I then upgraded to a timex that had a chest strap for about $80. This was better as it continually tracked my heart rate, but when I used it at the gym, it would interfere with the machines and stop tracking. Plus I found out later that it was OVER estimating my calories (coincidentally, I couldn't lose weight). I was so fed up with it interfering with the gym machines that I shelled out around $130 for a Polar that gives you "fit test", sets goals for you based on what you want (lose or gain) and tells you how long your heart rate needs to stay in each zone. It's amazing and I'll never not have a Polar HRM.

My point is, if you're going to invest in something for your health, make sure it's worth it. You usually get what you pay for.
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Look online...there are tons. The trick to finding on that is in your price range is to look at the features. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE one that has the GPS and all the bells and whistles, but I just couldn't afford it, so I had to go with a basic HRM without all the bells and whistles. Figure out what is important to you and then buy accordingly. As for me.....someday I'll upgrade but for now I'll be happy with the one I have...and I'll continue to pair it up with my cell phone to use the GPS and apps on my cell phone to track where and how long I travel. :-)
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I second the Polar recommendation. I have been using a Polar A6 (no longer made) for years. Try them out.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar F4!
  • fayeburden
    Options
    thank you! I'll have a look online, I think I'd be willing to save up for one because by the sounds of it they're really worth having!
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I too like my polar watch. If you are a gym goer and want it to sync to a cardio machine watch for the coded/un-coded HR bands. I have an FT80 and it will not sync to my True treadmill because most cardio machines use an un-coded band. I also found that they offer a band now that blue tooths to your phone. You might be able to get away with a blue tooth band and a smart phone. Technology, go figure.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    thank you! I'll have a look online, I think I'd be willing to save up for one because by the sounds of it they're really worth having!

Save up and get something quality. Garmin and Polar seem to be the leaders.