Metabolism testing

Options
My university offers metabolism testing at a discounted price for students. I've always been curious, but is this really all that helpful? This is what the description states:

"A metabolic cart is an electronic medical tool to measure the body’s metabolism through the amount of heat produced when the body is at rest. The metabolic cart uses a process called calorimetry to get this measurement. The result can help tell more about a person’s overall health condition. It uses two factors to calculate the final heat production. One is the intake of oxygen for the body and the other is the output of carbon dioxide"

Will this accurately tell me my baseline metabolism so that I can theoretically can set my calorie goal accordingly?

Thanks for any knowledgeable input!

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The only two accurate methods to get your metabolic rate are a BodPod and Dexa scan.

If it's anything else it *can* be close to accurate, but I wouldn't base my calculations on the result, unless they come from a BodPod ot Dexa Scan
  • RachelGrace1
    RachelGrace1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    They do offer both of those. The body pod is 45 and the dexa is 50, with a 20% discount for students. So it would be helpful?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It will give you an accurate BF, as for metabolic rate I think they do calculate it for you with the BF given. If you have access to a any of those then yes, take it, always good to know what exact BF% you have, then you can more accuratly calculate your BMR and so on :drinker:
  • RachelGrace1
    Options
    Bump any other thoughts?
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    Options
    I would do it in a heartbeat! If for no other reason than to have an accurate BF% reading.
  • RachelGrace1
    Options
    Ugh I don't wanna know my bf%, I'd rather wait until I've lost 10 or so lbs lol
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    do it. it's the only way to really know your RMR / BMR and BF%. You'll be a step ahead of nearly everyone here who just uses the generic, inaccurate online estimators.