Exercises for Bust area

Options
Alright, so I did something ballsy...two months ago I bought my wedding dress a size smaller than I was. I knew if I bought it to fit me then, I wouldn't have enough motivation to lose the weight and I even if I did I would just need to pay to get it fitted anyways.

GOOD NEWS is last night I tried it on for the first time since I started getting hardcore, I've lost about 12 lbs so far and it fits like a gem! The only thing is when I go to sit down it feels REALLY tight in my boobs. I know for some girls the boobs is the first place they lose, but apparently not me! I really really want to get them smaller and strengthen my back muscles as well. The dress is pretty much backless so I want to get my arms and back in the best shape possible!

I don't even think I have to lose that much more weight necessarily, just get toned! I have exactly two months...suggestions, workouts, anything is appreciated. ready...GO!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So, why not just have them alter the bust? Otherwise, to lose in the bust, you just need to lose more fat, it will eventually come off.

To firm up though and start getting some muscles activated and hardened?

Swim, overhead press, bench press, pull ups, dips.

Just some thoughts, good job btw, and message me if you need a spotter. :laugh:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Does not compute
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    Does not compute

What do you mean?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bust =boobies = fat

chest = muscle

you can't work fat. Fat is just fat. muscles do the work.

So congrats on the weight loss- keep going- keep working out and keep watching what you eat. Then have it altered two weeks or so before the wedding if you still haven't lost any from your chest.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You can do certain strength training techniques (like bench press) to help support and lift the area, but not necessarily minimize.

Not to mention, many women lost form the bust area because breasts are composed of breast tissue AND fat; some women have more breast tissue than fat, and don't lose from the area much at all.

Chalk up the money and alter the bust--you'll look better and feel better.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. You can do certain strength training techniques (like bench press) to help support and lift the area, but not necessarily minimize.

Not to mention, many women lost form the bust area because breasts are composed of breast tissue AND fat; some women have more breast tissue than fat, and don't lose from the area much at all.

But if it's already too small, can they really alter to make it bigger? I guess I'm not too familiar with wedding dresses and alterations, if they can do that, I definitely will! The money isn't really the issue, I just didn't think they could make it bigger only smaller.
  • firstsip
    Options

But if it's already too small, can they really alter to make it bigger? I guess I'm not too familiar with wedding dresses and alterations, if they can do that, I definitely will! The money isn't really the issue, I just didn't think they could make it bigger only smaller.

Usually! Unfortunately, altering things larger often costs more than taking in... but again, it's your wedding dress. There ARE some dresses that a seamstress might argue can't really be let in/out more (my dress couldn't have been taken in a bit more, but would have ruined ~the integrity of the dress~ according to the woman doing my alterations), so hopefully you won't encounter that. Another option could be a minimizing bra, or at least minimizing cups (since you said your dress is backless).
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Wear a minimiser bra? Lose more body fat? I dunno...

Dresses can be let out if there is material available, do you know a dressmaker?

Good luck with your big day!
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    yeah, any exercises in that area may make the dress even tighter cause you'd be building the muscles underneath

I personally went up a cup size and down a strap size when I lost most of my weight, but now that I'm doing more chest & back exercises the strap size is going back up.

There is definitely areas that I could tone up too, specifically on my back where my bra strap cuts in.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    *mutters*

There should be a law against making boobs smaller

*mutters away into the distance*
  • mirandajfoster
    mirandajfoster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Insanity or 30 day shred I have heard they tone you up with out losing a lot of weight mainly inches
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    Insanity or 30 day shred I have heard they tone you up with out losing a lot of weight mainly inches

Thanks for the advice!
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    *mutters*

There should be a law against making boobs smaller

*mutters away into the distance*

Haha, yeah, I talked to my mom about this too and she said I might want to check with my fiance first before I start losing my boobs. lol
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Can you do push ups?. You will have great back and pectoral muscles,. as well as better arms and biceps.
    I do not mean 10 a day I mean whenever you get a chance bang out push ups.. so 100s in a day.
  • firstsip
    Options
    yeah, any exercises in that area may make the dress even tighter cause you'd be building the muscles underneath

I personally went up a cup size and down a strap size when I lost most of my weight, but now that I'm doing more chest & back exercises the strap size is going back up.

That's probably water retention, not actually an increase in size of muscles being built. Provided calories are still at a deficit, muscle isn't going to be getting bigger.

One of my sister's (who was very obese in high school) started lifting a few weeks before prom to get her back looking better in a strapless dress. The dress became too tight, and she has since sworn off weight-lifting as a "bulky" creation. She doesn't acknowledge the fact that she was a.) Eating an excessive amount of calories everyday and/or b.) She was dealing with water retention from starting a new workout routine only a few weeks before the event.

So, OP, that's something else to consider--changing up any routine (adding new things, or even increasing intensity/weight of anything) can and most likely will lead to water retention for a few to several weeks.
  • gourmetgal77
    gourmetgal77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Me too in regards to the bra size - but even more of a difference - I went from a 36C to a 32DDD/34DD depending on the bra. Now that I have lost even more weight I think I need to go back for another sizing because my cup size seems to be getting too big.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    So, why not just have them alter the bust? Otherwise, to lose in the bust, you just need to lose more fat, it will eventually come off.

Unfortunately, the bust is the most difficult area to alter on a fitting dress, especially if you need to let it out. My suggestion would be to add a gusset under the arms, with the same fabric or a close match, if there isn't enough fabric in the side seams to be let out.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options

That's probably water retention, not actually an increase in size of muscles being built. Provided calories are still at a deficit, muscle isn't going to be getting bigger.

Agree with this, one of my friends (who is SUPER into weightlifting and is about the same size as me) said as long as I'm not feeding my muscles it is tough for women to bulk up.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, the bust is the most difficult area to alter on a fitting dress, especially if you need to let it out. My suggestion would be to add a gusset under the arms, with the same fabric or a close match, if there isn't enough fabric in the side seams to be let out.

Usually on wedding dresses there is an inch on both sides that can be taken out. There will more than likely have other alterations that will need to be like darts and things to make it fit just right, but I have been told when I bought my dress that they can typically let it out 2" without compromising the shape of the dress.