I will never understand 1000 calories...

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well this thing only says I should eat 1200, that's only a glass of orange juice away from 1000 so maybe that is why people think 1000 is the way to go x

Yes, but most likely even 1200 is too low for you as it is for most people. Since you have so little to lose you should not be looking at losing more than 1lb/week, though I would suggest 0.5, and that you eat back the cals burned from exercise, or if using TDEE method TDEE-10to 15% which would have you higher than 1200 cals anyway. It should be about fat loss, not just weight loss. Not eating enough makes it hard to get all your micros, fiber, and macros to be healthy, and can also lead to a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle, not just fat.

I always find it hard mentally to eat back cals burnt as I workout so hard and don't enjoy it I just can't get my head around eating them back, this all comes from unhealthy weight loss when I was a lot younger it's just my frame of mind x

Then I suggest you take a look at this method: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    This way your exercise is averaged for the week so you don't have to eat the cals back as they are included in your caloric intake. That said the number should be quite a bit higher than the 1200 MFP gives you.
  • sgdenton
    sgdenton Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it is often a learning experience. As someone coming from an eating disordered history, it has been a challenge to accept you NEED calories to lose weight. I did 1000 calories for awhile and felt like that was me being healthy because in my head less calories = more weight loss.

It is only through recovery and fitness/nutrition education that I am able to eat a more appropriate amount every day. I aim for 1200-1400 a day, but sometimes getting there can be difficult even though I know better. I think it's just something each person needs to realize for themselves, and if they are just doing it as a crash diet, they'll learn fast that it won't work in the long run.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I just want to get in here before the lock.

Also, it's not shaming if the behavior is straight up dangerous. For most people, 1000 cals is dangerous, and I'm glad that the MFP forums generally doesn't tolerate that kind of eating.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I understand.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Here goes another, "you're not eating enough thread". Vomit.

We should count how many there are now in all of the community boards combined! :D

To. Each. Their. Own. ... you care because?
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is on Medifast and she's lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks and weighed less than me before she even started. I lost 23 lbs in 4.5 months and have been up and down the same 2 lbs since May. The siren song of "quick and dirty, just get the suffering overwith quickly, get the weight off and worry about healthy eating afterwards" is a temptation, I'll admit it.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just don't care either way
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

We should count how many there are now in all of the community boards combined! :D

We care because as Gearjammer71 wisely said...

Every time you eat less than 1200 calories/day a kitten will die and an angel loses it's wings! You wouldn't want that on your conscious would you?'
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    In for the "Help I eat 1000 calories a day.. I eat Very "Clean" But I don't lose weight" threads.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

We care because as Gearjammer71 wisely said...

Every time you eat less than 1200 calories/day a kitten will die and an angel loses it's wings! You wouldn't want that on your conscious would you?'

Oh, *kitten*! I guess I missed that. That is positively terrible! Poor little kittehs....
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lyivsb35WV1rn95k2o1_500.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I will NEVER understand why people choose to starve themselves (ie-1000 calorie diet). It is so much more beneficial to your body and health to eat! That is why every "diet" I was ever on failed. I am much more healthy, fit and active than I have ever been in my life. And I weigh the least I ever weighed. I am not hungry and very satisfied and I do it eating over 1800 calories a day and eating nearly all of my exercise calories back! I eat more food in one day than I used to eat at my heaviest in 3 or 4 days.

Stop starving yourself! You will be much happier, productive and satisfied.
    How many times have you lost a significant amount of weight?
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    i will never understand why people feel the need to food shame or calorie shame people.

I will never understand people that shame people for calorie shaming.

I will never understand people that shame people that shame people for calorie shaming.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Oh, *kitten*! I guess I missed that. That is positively terrible! Poor little kittehs....

And the angels :sad:
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    These threads are so silly. I'm 5'0 and can not eat like you. I'm 5-10 pounds from my goal weight. My bmr is 1150 and I shoot for 1500 calories. We all have different bodies. If someone wants to lose weight at 1200, so be it. If I ate like you I would be huge. I hate all these posts about how I eat like a pig and weight just falls off me. Good for you! Doesn't work for me!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is on Medifast and she's lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks and weighed less than me before she even started. I lost 23 lbs in 4.5 months and have been up and down the same 2 lbs since May. The siren song of "quick and dirty, just get the suffering overwith quickly, get the weight off and worry about healthy eating afterwards" is a temptation, I'll admit it.

Let's just see where you are and where she is a year from now.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I will NEVER understand why people choose to starve themselves (ie-1000 calorie diet). It is so much more beneficial to your body and health to eat! That is why every "diet" I was ever on failed. I am much more healthy, fit and active than I have ever been in my life. And I weigh the least I ever weighed. I am not hungry and very satisfied and I do it eating over 1800 calories a day and eating nearly all of my exercise calories back! I eat more food in one day than I used to eat at my heaviest in 3 or 4 days.

Stop starving yourself! You will be much happier, productive and satisfied.
    I will never understand the fascination with other peoples diets..continue your own journey you will be more productive that way as well.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i will never understand why people feel the need to food shame or calorie shame people.

Calorie shaming is a concern now? Like, telling people to eat enough food is now a form of prejudice?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    These threads are so silly. I'm 5'0 and can not eat like you. I'm 5-10 pounds from my goal weight. My bmr is 1150 and I shoot for 1500 calories. We all have different bodies. If someone wants to lose weight at 1200, so be it. If I ate like you I would be huge. I hate all these posts about how I eat like a pig and weight just falls off me. Good for you! Doesn't work for me!

tumblr_m98eshmZf01rnhfcs.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I will NEVER understand why people choose to starve themselves (ie-1000 calorie diet). It is so much more beneficial to your body and health to eat! That is why every "diet" I was ever on failed.

If you've done low calories diets, then I would think it would be easy to understand why others do it. They want fast results or they think it's necessary would be the 2 most common reasons, I'd think.
This discussion has been closed.