Belly fat / after baby

Options
GlindaGoodwitch
GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi - I'm 40 lbs above my regular weight since having kids. It feels like I'm wearing a pillow around my midsection, and I can't get rid of it!!

Any suggestions for reducing belly fat?!!?

Replies

• Live4theLift
    Options
    You cant spot reduce, if you could everyone would have a 6 pack. You have to just diet and exercise. Your body will dictate where it takes its fat from so its all about genetics.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    LOL Thank you - I did know that, but I was wondering if there were suggestions for specific foods to eat or stay away from that might help?

I'm on the diet/exercise train... although this train seems to be slower, than steady if you know what i mean.
  • debra6590
    debra6590 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you checked if you have diastasis Recti - you can spot reduce if you have a this. Look up on you tube and do the test. If you do you need specific exercises for this and they will pull your stomach back together. GOOD LUCK mama - I am almost there with it, its very disheartening till you realise that you are not a freak and you are not alone xxx
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen :-)

I've had one child (+ now one on the way) and was able to retain my abdominal muscles after my C-section and packing on some weight after my first child. I did a lot of cardio, strength, Pilates but I didn't see a lot of progress until I was way more honest about how healthy I was eating.

I did not cut out carbs, fats, etc. I ate bread. I had oil (EVOO only). We had weekly indulgences. But the majority of my diet was a higher calorie diet (even at 5'0" I did not eat only 1200 calories a day, that's starvation mode) based on a Mediterranean diet/lifestyle. Move. Use stairs. Walk a lot. Drink lots and lots of water. Be honest when you cheat. If you're honest when you cheat (like... having half a pizza) then you'll eventually realize when that pizza or box of doughnuts is in front of you, "If I eat 5 of those, that's more than my daily allowance of calories..." And one day, I promise, it'll stick and you'll only have 1 or 2 ;-)

I really do recommend a Mediterranean-type diet (by diet i just mean food/cuisine). Lots of fish, EVOO, lots of veggies. While not being afraid of carbs and fats, still monitor the intake. And processed sugar is evil LOL.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm going to check out some Mediterranean meals - and I'm googling that condition. I've been walking (with a 4 year old and baby) so I'm looking forward to picking up the pace next week when school starts!

I absolutely need to drink more water. I'm a terrible water drinker. I'm going to get a glass right now!
This discussion has been closed.