salad dressing

Options
I love salads but can not eat them plain and of course ranch is my fave dressing but it has a TON of calories!! Any ideas on some better salad dressing with out the calories?

Replies

• shaff1rm
    shaff1rm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do one of three things for my salads:
    1. lime juice and olive oil
    2. cottage cheese
    3. "fake" ranch. Mix together some greek yogurt, skim milk and one of the ranch seasoning packets. Much better for you, and tastes exactly the same.
  • zombieyoshi
    Options
    I use balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with a dash of Italian seasoning. It's delicious!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've found some of the Bolthouse Farms yogurt-based dressings are really good and usually about 45 calories for 2 tbsp. They are sold refrigerated in the produce section (at least where I live, in Texas). Maple Grove Farms makes some very low calorie dressings that are also delicious.

I also second the "fake ranch" option that was mentioned in another post.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I love just simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar on my salads. I also like this one, for a store bought dressing. I think it's about 45 cals for 2 tablespoons:
    http://www.newmansown.com/products/newmans-own-lite-red-wine-vinegar-olive-oil-dressing/
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar. At our local farmer market this guy has amazing Pomegranate balsamic vinegar.
  • monica_reinert
    monica_reinert Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live but the "food lion/ bottom dollar brand" Hannford fat free zesty italian is only 10 calories for 2 tablespoons. I can't even tell the difference.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Vinegar (whatever you like, I like red wine best), olive oil, dijon mustard.
  • la33coug
    Options
    Love the "Fake Ranch" idea. Thanks!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, a little Dijon, balsamic vinegar mixed together :)
  • ThePoppyFox
    Options
    My favorite "dressing" is simply the juice of a lemon with some pepper and garlic salt. It's so good. I will never go back to store bought dressings again. :)
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ken's lite strawberry vinegarette (I know I spelled that wrong. sorry) and black pepper. It's the only lite dressing that I've found that I actually like.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    While it's not a creamy salad dressing, Zesty Italian has become a new favorite of mine (and usually around 20 calories a tbsp) - really adds a good kick of flavour. :)
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I love Maries Yogurt dressing 50-70cals per 2 tbsp depending on flavor... love them!
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've found some of the Bolthouse Farms yogurt-based dressings are really good and usually about 45 calories for 2 tbsp. They are sold refrigerated in the produce section (at least where I live, in Texas). Maple Grove Farms makes some very low calorie dressings that are also delicious.

Bolthouse farms is awesome! It is probably the best ranch I have ever tasted. They also make a blue cheese that I dip my wings in. Marie's also makes some good yogurt based dressings that are also by the bagged salad.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    my fave lately is an apple bacon cheddar salad. yep all that on one plate

This low cal and tasty

1 med. fuji apple
    1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese (reduced or not)
    1 T real bacon bits
    1-2 c romaine lettuce.

absolutely no dressing!!! it is the tastiest salad I've made thus far.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Bolthouse farms is awesome! It is probably the best ranch I have ever tasted. They also make a blue cheese that I dip my wings in. Marie's also makes some good yogurt based dressings that are also by the bagged salad.

bolthouse does have great yougurt ranch! they are better than kraft by far. and be adventurous and try the salsa ranch. I even substitute that for sour cream on tacos!
  • TheAntonia
    Options
    have u tried hidden valley fat free ranch dressing? it's great! tase just like regular ranch and i belive its only 35 calories per serving. just try to use a less and less each time u eat ur salad and after awhile u wont even notice the small amount of salad dressing u use. i use to be the same way, drown my salads in dressing, but over time i learned to use less and now my salads dont have nearly as much dressing in them anymore. good luck :smile:
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just add avocado to my salad and skip thedressing. Healthy fat and super yummy.
  • shirtswiththumbholes
    shirtswiththumbholes Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love the tartness of balsalmic vinegar, so I use that with a little olive oil for salad dressing. If I don't have any balsalmic I will use rice vinegar.
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like the one about ranch. Any ideals on how to make a low calorie Thousand Island salad dressing?