Balancing Lifting and Cardio

I really want to start lifting weights, but I only have an hour a day during the week that I can dedicate to the gym (I work full time, plus go to school full time, so I use the hour between work and school to go to the gym.) I use that hour to do cardio (elliptical, rowing, treadmill, spin, etc.) I love love love cardio and I know it's greatly helped my weight loss, but I'd really like to tone up. How do you guys suggest splitting my time? Should I alternate days- one day cardio, the next lifting? Or should I do 1/2 and hour cardio and 1/2 an hour weights? Also, do you have any blogs that you could suggest to get me started in lifting? Truthfully, I'm a bit intimidated by that side of the gym; not so intimidated that I won’t do it, but enough that I feel a bit silly when I try.

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Alternate days. Look into beginner lifting programs such as Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting. Don't be intimidated. Everyone started somewhere!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Alternate days...3x weekly lifting and 3x weekly cardio. For lifting, you need to do an actual program...just willy nilly doing your own thing isn't going to do you a whole lot of good since you don't have the experience to invent your own routine or program.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Alternate is a good plan. Any of the plans listed so far will work. I personally like stronglifts 5x5, and it is a three day a week program, so it would dovetail nicely with wanting to do cardio three times a week as well. It's worth looking into.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    agreed with everyone else. lift 3-4 days a week and do your cardio on the off days.
  • Beth,

Try kettle bells, kettle bell training is a full body work out it requires cardio and resistance. For toning up it is great, it takes a little while to get used to them, there are plenty of instructional videos on YouTube to help. After a while you will be looking for heavier kettle bells trust me.

Steve
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Thanks everyone!