Debating to get fitbit

Options

Replies

• yoscarlino
    yoscarlino Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    love, love, love my fitbit. I have the one. It challenges me to move more.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if the Fitbit Flex can act as a HRM with a smart phone app?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia and love the data but am tired of wearing it on my arm, so I'm thinking of getting a fitbit...
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the One. I like it well enough. When I remember to charge it. I usually wear it a week on, a week off (until I remember to charge it). I've lost it twice already, but found quickly enough. I do think that it helps provide me with a little motivation. A couple of times now I've been sitting around in the evening, and I realize I only need a few hundred steps to get to 10K, so I'll go walk the dog one more time before bed. It has definitely helped in that regard, so I guess the dog would certainly vouch for it.
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    What I want to know is whether the Fitbit tells you how many calories you have burned when you are doing cardio, circuit training, CrossFit, and anything else like that. Or is it just a glorified pedometer that is dependent on number of steps? I'm having trouble estimating my actual workout calories.

Added later: I did try to contact the company via email to ask them this question, and they didn't really answer the question. Nor does their website seem to have this information.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the device you already have, but I love me my Fitbit and have been using it since November. It syncs with MFP; you enter all food and exercise onto MFP, which communicates it to Fitbit. I find the device keeps me motivated to achieve my goals. Since my default mode is sedentary, the Fitbit has changed my approach and made me move more. I have the One and my husband has the Zip. While the new Flex appeals to me, I like the read-out feature of the One, plus you can hide it under clothing (if you wish to). There are hundreds of customer reviews on Amazon if you want more opinions...
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Does FitBit pretty much just track your activity? I am not worried about moving more. I have been told I move too much! I am worried about accurately figuring out how many calories I need a day. The TDEE calculators seem WAY high for me. I was just wondering if this would help me figure it out. Thanks for the input and sorry to post a question on your thread OP!
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had a BodyMedia Core (the large-sized model) and wore it and lost all the weight I wanted. I was so happy with my progress, but I too got tired of wearing it on my arm all the time. The tan line was gorgeous!!! I stopped wearing it.

So, I tried the FitBit. It was fine, but after the amount of information BodyMedia gave me the FitBit was disappointing.

So, I bought the smaller version of BodyMedia Core and am more than pleased to be wearing it again, tan line and all.

I hadn't heard about the new model this fall, but I'll be on the lookout.

Yes, it's more expensive and has a monthly fee, but for me there's no going back!
  • fefferknits
    Options
    I love how my FitBit gives me a more accurate view of what my real activity level is for the day. My treadmill will tell me I've burned 600 calories when I run, but doesn't take into account that I would have burned some of those calories just by breathing. If I'd logged those 600 calories into MFP, it would tell me I could eat them, which isn't really the case--especially if I mostly sit for the rest of the day!

I find that some days when I'm running errands and on my feet a lot, I'm burning nearly as many calories as the days when I go for a run. The sync with MFP is a lot more accurate for calculating actual calorie intake/output. In short, I've dropped WAY more weight since I got it!
  • fefferknits
    Options
    Does FitBit pretty much just track your activity? I am not worried about moving more. I have been told I move too much! I am worried about accurately figuring out how many calories I need a day. The TDEE calculators seem WAY high for me. I was just wondering if this would help me figure it out. Thanks for the input and sorry to post a question on your thread OP!

Yep--when your accounts are linked, MFP automatically reads your activity level from your Fitbit and recalculates your allowed calories throughout the day. It's pretty awesome!
  • cuddlechimp12
    cuddlechimp12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Ultra. Its nice, it clips anywhere and is customizable. The only problem I have is it counts calories that you have not burned. It add daily calories based on your age, weight, and height. It kinda sucks if you just want something to count the actual calories you burn when your wearing it. But if you don't mind, it will be a great purchase. I am selling mine on ebay if you want one. its cheaper than buying it from the site and mine is in perfect condition. Hope this helps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271262961237?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
  • fefferknits
    Options
    What I want to know is whether the Fitbit tells you how many calories you have burned when you are doing cardio, circuit training, CrossFit, and anything else like that. Or is it just a glorified pedometer that is dependent on number of steps? I'm having trouble estimating my actual workout calories.

Added later: I did try to contact the company via email to ask them this question, and they didn't really answer the question. Nor does their website seem to have this information.

It does not automatically calculate calories for activities that aren't step-dependent, but you can go into the app/website and add add in those activities. I've heard some people have had success with moving it to their arms or knees for some workouts, like rowing or cycling.
  • terryrh
    terryrh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I got a Zip and then returned it a day or so later for a flex, i loved it!

The information it gives the ability to join groups and see your position on a leaderboard or your position in rankings among friends is great for motivation, i found that on days where i was busy and had to cut my walk or run short i would look at that yellow bar and be annoyed it wasnt green and go back out to top up, i also like how it logs your calorie burn into MFP (when you link the apps) so you dont (if you dont want to) have to enter your exercise manually

I've had mine almost a month now and i only take it off to charge it, in my opinion well worth the money
  • vin574
    vin574 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My wife and I use the scale and the flex, There make monitoring weight, exercise and even sleep easy, Easy is good.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Yep--when your accounts are linked, MFP automatically reads your activity level from your Fitbit and recalculates your allowed calories throughout the day. It's pretty awesome!

Thanks for responding! I am guessing to set it up, you have to enter some info that gives you an idea of your bmr or whatever. Is there anyway to know how accurate that is. I am actually needing to eat more but I don't know how much, so I am having a hard time figuring that out. It is scary! lol
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love it and rely on it to tell me how many calories I need to eat in any given day since each day varies widely for me.

M-F 8-5 desk job

W-Sat 4-10 pm waitress

M W F weight training

Sun hiking.

Without my fitbit, I'd have no idea how to calculate my daily burn/intake. It was worth every penny of $100!
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    I love mine! :)
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Philips DirectLife? Their description sounds more like what I need, but I don't know if it works as well as claimed.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit one, and I got the flex for my hubby. Love it! So motivating! I have to fill my Fitbit dashboard every day or I am not happy, and my hubby and I are in constant competition now lol it is so fun! I get a notice that he has passed me by 100 steps and so I go for a walk just to pass him up!

I hope what ever you decide OP you just keep on moving! ; )
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if the Fitbit Flex can act as a HRM with a smart phone app?

It does work with a smart phone app but not as a HRM
This discussion has been closed.