Vegetarian Dishes

Options
Hi! I'm not a vegetarian by any means but I'm on a diet through the hospital called HMR that allows me to only eat vegetables and fruit right now until I am able to control myself.

Currently I am down 43 lbs since February and it's been working really well but I am getting bored with the hospital food and the same old dishes I have been making.

If anyone has any vegetarian dishes (no cheese allowed) that would be awesome!

I haven't really found any AMAZING dishes that I'd like to use over and over again.

Thanks!!
Maria:smile:

Replies

• gtdattitude
    gtdattitude Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Can you have peanut butter?
  • hnoelle85
    hnoelle85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There are lots of simple things you can do... Like i will take cooked lentils and add taco seasons make "raw" tacos by eating them in a romaine leaf with other veggies. I also like to do roasted vegetables with rice.

What kind of meals have you been eating? That would be helpful in suggesting meals to you.
  • Goddessmiamia
    Options
    I can use it sparingly so essentially about 1 tablespoon per dish.
  • Goddessmiamia
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!

Right now I've essentially been making stir fry, or cooking them on the grill.

I will eat them any which way, I like vegetables but most commonly I saute them or make a small stir fry.

The lettuce wrap sounds delicious! What else do you put in with the lettuce wraps?
  • Goddessmiamia
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! Sorry I guess I'm supposed to add "quote" in there so you know I"m replying to you.

I can't use a lot of peanut butter about 1 tablespoon per dish.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    1 can black beans-drained
    1 can corn-drained
    1 jar of your favorite salsa

Put it all in a pan and warm it and serve on a tortilla with veggies to top. If you're doing dairy use greek yogurt in place of the sour cream and you can use vegan cheese if you want the cheesie factor.
  • hnoelle85
    hnoelle85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    in a lettuce wrap i usually add corn and avacado anything else totally depends on my mood.
  • runninghealthy
    runninghealthy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use whole foods recipes for great ideas. You can filter by dietary restrictions, and put in vegan or vegetarian main dishes (just click "advanced search" at the top), there's a LOT of great ideas!

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Quick Curry -

1 cup each of your favorite veggies (I use corn, peas, carrots, diced potatoes, onions, and peppers).
    1 cup brown rice
    curry powder and other seasonings to taste.

cook up the rice with half the seasoning.
    mix veggies together in large bowl with the rest of the seasonings, and heat (steam, microwave, boil, etc). Drain well.
    Stir into the rice.

Eat and enjoy
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mexican - bean burritoes, bean tacos, bean nachos, etc.
    Bean soups - lentil soup, black bean soup, split pea soup ... Google it - there are thousands of delicious bean soup recipes
    Extra firm tofu is great in a stir fry.
    If you can have eggs, omelets make a tasty dinner, or an egg sandwich, deviled eggs, etc.
    Salads or stir fries with nuts or seeds.
    Eggplant parmesan
    Vegetarian lasagna
    Spinach and tofu stuffed shells w/ marinara
    Crumble firm tofu into red sauce and serve over pasta
    Pasta primavera
    Quinoa / bean salad
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    you can find lot of vegetarian indian recipes online and pick whichever sounds interesting :) It sure tastes good and lots of varieties..good luck :)
  • merecrab
    Options
    Maria,

I have similar issues getting bored of the same veggies. There are great vegan and even more raw receips online. For the raw you don't have to go crazy with the sprouting and dehydrating if that seems daunting. But there are a lot of great ideas and ways to change the texture, and spices that is satisfiying.

For me access to a blender makes a big difference too!

I love these sites and there are many more:

http://youngonrawfood.com/category/raw-food-recipes/
    http://www.therawtarian.com/
    http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/raw-food-diet-recipe-index.html
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i have tons of recipes! but first, questions!

only fruits and vegetables?
    can you have meat substitutes? (boca, qourn, etc)
    lentils?
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan with an open diary. I love making smoothies with flax milk, fruit, kale greens! Bananas are awesome!
  • AZ_Danny
    AZ_Danny Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you like Indian Food check out Manjula's Kitchen on Youtube. They're all vegetarian (though not necessarily Vegan)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Manjulaskitchen?feature=g-high-u
  • Goddessmiamia
    Options
    Thank you everyone all of your suggestions are awesome! I have a new sense of kitchen inspiration! :happy:
  • Goddessmiamia
    Options
    Right now it is just fruit and vegetables with no starch or cheese!

It has been getting challenging trying to think of new and creative ideas!

Thanks for the help!
    i have tons of recipes! but first, questions!

only fruits and vegetables?
    can you have meat substitutes? (boca, qourn, etc)
    lentils?
  • SLP76
    SLP76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed Chickpeas? If so, you can make some falafels.