diet ,exercise and fibromyalgia

Options
havinf fibromyalgia and trying to exercise is hard you cant allways do what you want with your own body. is there anyone else out here who has it and trying to diet?

Replies

• Judycb
    Judycb Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I have RA and fibromyalgia. I started working out by going to a physical therapist after I had back surgery. She taught me what I could do that would not flair up the fibro. She also had cold and heat treatments for me and did a little massage when I got sore. It took a long time (9 months) to buid up reps and time on the stationary bike, but I can now do enough to burn calories. I know that physical therapy is an accepted treatment for fibro. Most insurance companies will pay for it for a few months. Hope this helps.
  • star1965
    Options
    well im not gona go to therapist ,i hate having fibromyalgia!!!!!! my arms get tired just folding clothes or to read a magazine.
    when i get mad about it i over eat
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    You're not alone I have fibromyalgia amongst other things and find exercise very difficult but you have come to the right place. Start of very slowly with a few stretching excersises and very short walks dont try to do too much to soon but do try to do a little everyday, gradually it will get easier.

Feel free to send me a friend request you can never have too many and it is much easier to do it with friends than it is to do it alone
  • Allie_Dreams
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia. I suffer from Crohn's Disease as well along with many other health problems. There are days where I feel almost useless, but I have to keep pushing through. Add me if you'd like
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Another one here but has been much better since I was able to swim again after a back op. I started slowly as hadn't been able to swim for 10 years & now it is a joy & I swim miles each week as I cannot walk much or do much other physical activity.When my pain is very bad I still try to go & just float as it eases the pain. Weight loss has started very slowly, in part possibly due to water retention caused by NSAIDs & arthritis but now keeping calories a bit lower & is beginning to work. Feel free to add me for support.
  • star1965
    Options
    wow you lost 66 that is so great its nice to have others with fibro because they understand how hard it is to excersise my husband doesnt allways some days are good and some arent!! i work in the medical field so i walk and stand allday at work does it really get easier ? to do the excersis? its just after working and house stuff its hard to do much more how do u do it ?:smile:
  • star1965
    Options
    has any one else been on lyrica and switched to savella for the pain ???? it seems my pain is getting worse , or im just not at good at handeling my stress, im concernd bout the side effects??????
  • dietcokaholic2
    Options
    Lyrica did nothing for me. I have to have sight injections weekly for the pain plus take pain pills. It really is hard to get hardly any exercise. It is soo painful sometimes just to move but you know what? I push through it and try to walk and get my chores done around the house. If I can do those I have accomplished a lot! I would love to be friends with any of you that know the pain of Fibro!
  • star1965
    Options
    wow the injections hadnt heard of them its the side effects i dont like i really dont like taking anything and just wish it would all stop, unless u have it its hard to undestad somtimes u cant do something i can get my house stuff done (usually) and i still work pt. im just feeling desperate to lose weight because it could help me to feel better i would like to weigh between 160-175 and thats 50lbs that need to go!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • xPixie311x
    xPixie311x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have RA and fibromyalgia. I started working out by going to a physical therapist after I had back surgery.

Hi! I had spinal surgery in 2003. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2001 as well as Thoracic Arthritis, and sever migraine headaches. I can barely move sometimes; makes me feel terrible all the time since I have a 4 yr old and a 9 month old. I do what I can slowly, but sometimes feel like I am all alone in this battle, and unless you have it NOBODY REALLY "GETS IT". ( what I am going through I mean.) I am feeling helpless lately.
  • xPixie311x
    xPixie311x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    has any one else been on lyrica and switched to savella for the pain ???? it seems my pain is getting worse , or im just not at good at handeling my stress, im concernd bout the side effects??????

I was on Lyrica for two years; it t put it bluntly did SH**. Recently they put me onto Savella, so far I do not see any difference as usual. I feel like I am "silently screaming" all the time, because I am constantly in pain.
  • star1965
    Options
    hi amen311 i havent been here for a long time sorry to hear the lyrica didnt work for u , we know alot of mine is major stress im learning and doin better with it but my lyrica does hlp altho i still have my good dayds and bad ones but with ra u should be on mutch stronger things!!!!! ive worked in a doctor office for longtime i do know some do u find excersise works good things for u????
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have it too. Just try to take it slow and easy and gradually build up. You can add me as a friend if you'd like. Good luck!