Losing Inches but GAINING weight

Options
Hey, everyone.

First off, let me clarify - I know that muscle weighs more than fat. I know that as I gain strength, I will see changes, and my metabolism will increase.. I'm just feeling a bit frustrated.

When I embarked on this last (and final - it's going to WORK this time) attempt at changing my lifestyle, I swore that I was not going to focus on the weight. It's just a number that defines my relationship with gravity. I was going to focus on how I feel, and how I look. The visible changes were more important than the number on the scale. I've seen a few inches disappear, so why not try that route?

Before I fell off the band wagon again, I had lost 8 pounds. From there, I have now GAINED 11, but I am slightly smaller than I was at 207 (I'm 218 now). My original starting weight was 215.

Because I've been feeling so confident, and felt I was doing well with my eating habits (portion control finally isn't a chore anymore and simply feels natural) and excercising regularly (I get a minimum of 45 minutes of walking a day, interspersed with more intense routines and strength training) I decided to buy another scale.

I regret it now.

I see the change, and I'm committed to my new lifestyle. I am feeling terribly discouraged at the moment though. I've been so doing well, but this psychological setback has got me down. All that work, and I've gained weight. It feels like I am never going to get below 200lbs.

How do you overcome mental blocks like this? For now I'm just going to continue doing what I'm doing and try my best to stay positive.

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I started strength training in May and my weight has fluctuated about 3 pounds in either direction for that time. I had a goal to be down 13 pounds by now and am currently down a grand total of 1 from when I started.

What I had to do was take the scale out of the bathroom, put it some place not that accessible, and focus on other things. Since I've started I've lost 2.34% body fat, dropped a clothing size, lost about 4 inches off my waist, and 3 off my hips. I figure the scale will catch up eventually, but I definitely feel your frustration.
  • Inrequia
    Inrequia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's important to focus on the things we can see and feel, and try to remove the negativity from our journey. Some of my clothes are feeling a bit too big, and some are fitting that much better.

I just wish my brain would stop letting a part of me care so much about that number.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Did you take "before pictures" so you could compare them at a later time? I regret not taking any when I first started. I think that helps, too.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just posted this thread a little bit ago, this is my reason to not focus on the number on the scale that much. I look smaller now at 134 pounds than I did at 102 pounds.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081166-lifting-vs-beer
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    i completely understand.....there is just something about a number on a scale.....i have the same problem.....just can't get past that mental block.....no matter how good people say you look.....i'm just trying to take baby steps.....weighing once a week rather than once a day, which REALLY plays with your mind....then i will try once every two weeks etc.....i'm going to see how that goes and in the meantime, keep doing what i'm doing.....good luck!!!!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    throw out the damn scale! its hard but if it is screwing with ur brain that much and you are smaller then throw it out! or put it away for a month. I dont really care what I weigh, if I can get back into my skinny jeans im down with that!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday.. The scale use to get the better of me, but then I started measuring myself. I have lost more inches than weight it seems :), but this means that my body is burning fat and shaping out and the scale will start to move when the waste that is inside my body does as well. Don't get discouraged! Just kick butt with portion control, exercise and measuring yourself and you will see that the scale might not be moving at all, but your measurements are!!
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have always been in the same boat. When I entered high school I was 5'11' and had a plus size of 265 pounds. No do not get me wrong. i was not fat I had a 32 inch waist. I was just a very large body build. My entire family is this way. OF all my brothers I am the smallest in size and weight. My problem is always when I start to hit the gym with weights my neck, back, chest and arms all develop very fast. So I gain weight. At my biggest weight I was at 349 playing football. Now today I am at 230 the lowest I have ever been. I have cut fat and weight and it is hard. I check the scale several times a day to see where I am at. My only advice I can give is just keep going. If you give up you lose only an attitude. If you work at it then you gain respect and lose the weight.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If your losings inches then your bf% is going down well done dont be too stressed on scales.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    It always feels awesome seeing the scale going down and can get very discouraging when it isn't moving in the direction we would like. I have the same issue, I just keep moving forward now. In the past I would eat and get depressed and then go a week with no care in the world, and then have to force myself to get back on track. Now it comes easier, I still weigh weekly but I try not to make it bother me sometimes because my clothes feel roomier, I feel healthier and as much as the scale isn't moving as fast as I would like, I don't feel nearly as bloated and fat as I once did.

Keep pushing forward, it beats quitting and being angry when the weight goes back on.

Good luck :)
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I understand. I fight being tied to the scale, too. We have a certain idea in our head about what life will be like and what we'll look and feel like when we see that magic number on the scale. The scale can be a tool to monitor progress - but not for everyone. I'm one of those people that has had to let go of letting the scale ruin my feelings about my efforts and progress. It can seriously ruin your day and your motivation - if you let it. Like I said, you can use the scale to monitor progress, but I really don't think it's the best way to do so. I would much rather use a tape measure and clothes. No one knows how much I weigh anyway but they can see my body shrinking and changing shape. I've learned this, have been forced to learn this because I'm a very slow pound loser. It has thrown me off too many times but I don't let it happen anymore. Losing pounds doesn't work for me. I'm a pretty regular inch loser so focusing my attention and efforts on losing inches works for me. Why fight it? I lift weights, I eat somewhere around my TDEE-20%, and I keep shrinking.

I'm betting that the majority of very fit women, not skinny women, fit women, focus on body composition and body fat rather than pounds. If I want what they have going on with their thighs, butts, and abs I need to think that way, too.

Just remember that losing pounds and losing inches are both successes. You are not failing.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. No weight change for 3 months but my clothes are getting looser. I'm just so sick of seeing 198-199 on the damn scale! For me it's come down to just having faith in the process. And today - 197.8! Hah, I know it's just 0.2 lb but I'm happy to see a drop into the 197's. Hopefully it's the start of a trend. So my advice is to just keep doing the right things and it WILL work.
  • Inrequia
    Options
    Wow, I didn't expect this much of a response. Thank you for sharing your stories, everyone. It's so nice to know that I'm not alone.

I'm going to weigh myself every week, I think. It will satisfy that "need" to know, but not put me into a panic with the every day fluctuations.

Perhaps I can just wean myself away from needing validation from a piece of metal and glass that sits on my bathroom floor.
  • kokorae
    kokorae Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I STRONGLY suggest you get a fabric tape measure and start measuring/weighing/taking pictures of yourself once a week instead of daily. Discipline yourself to stay off the scale. The tape measure won't lie to you.
  • Inrequia
    Options
    I STRONGLY suggest you get a fabric tape measure and start measuring/weighing/taking pictures of yourself once a week instead of daily. Discipline yourself to stay off the scale. The tape measure won't lie to you.

I do have a soft measuring tape, and I was too afraid to take before photos. I do have photos of me at my biggest, though, so I'll use those in my stead.

How often do you recommend taking pictures of yourself? Once a month? Every three months? Visual documentation will be paramount for me.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    throw out the damn scale! its hard but if it is screwing with ur brain that much and you are smaller then throw it out! or put it away for a month. I dont really care what I weigh, if I can get back into my skinny jeans im down with that!
    Worst advice ever. Numbers don't lie. Tracking weight is the best method to consistently evaluate your progress.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in January on and off and more frequently over the past few months, and I've put on the better part of about 12 lbs since January, but my body composition is just totally different. I have some mysterious undiagnosed health issue that me and my doctor have been trying to figure out since November of last year that could be preventing me from losing, but right now, I just don't care. I see inches coming off, and I see how much progress I've made in terms of my lifting, and even if I don't drop below 200, I can say that I've gained a lot of strength. That means more to me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So..would you rather be losing the scale # but staying the same size?
  • SirAwesomenessThe3rd
    Options
    Don't focus on it so much; it'll drive you crazy. Keep in mind too that it is a lifestyle change. All the things you want won't happen over night and it's going to be a slow and tough process. Consider it more of how you live and less of a chore. The more you keep weighing yourself or measuring yourself all the time the harder it's going to be on you mentally. Just keep doing the right things and the rest will fall into place. Also, try measuring your body fat percentage once a month and not your actual weight. If your goal is to burn fat then all the scale will do is disappoint you.
  • SirAwesomenessThe3rd
    Options
    Worst advice ever. Numbers don't lie. Tracking weight is the best method to consistently evaluate your progress.

How is that the worst advice ever if she's trying to lose fat? Why would a scale be the best method to consistently evaluate her progress when all a scale does is measure weight? A scale does not accurately measure your LBM, your BMI or your BF%. Numbers may not lie, but they truly deceive. If you're going to crack on someone else's advice at least make sure yours is credible to begin with.