Clean Eating for Beginners

Options

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For people who are sensitive to sugars, high carb foods, etc. finding their own definition of clean eating is not a joke, and it does a disservice to newbies to make it a joke. Some people have intense food cravings after eating sugar/higher carb foods that make it very difficult to eat a low calorie/weight loss diet. It is easier to eat "clean" and reduce the food cravings so sticking to lower calorie diet is possible. Here is a summary of some of the research that supports this, under the topic "not all calories are created equal." And by the way, if you are one of those people who can eat ice cream and cookies in limited amounts and not crave more, more, more then stop reading. This doesn't apply to you.

There is a great article in well.blogs.nytimes.com titled "How Carbs Can Trigger Food Cravings by Anahad O'Connor. it summarizes new resarch published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and research published in 2010 in the New England Journal of Medicine that shows that sugary foods and other processed carbs that are known to cause abrupt spikes and falls in blood sugar appear to stimulate parts of the brain involved in hunger, craving and reward. In other words if you eat these foods you want more. It isn't so much that in terms of actual energy/ calories there is a difference, but that these foods affect the neurotransmitters in the brain in a way that sets off craving and leads to overeating. That is why those who say it doesn't matter what you eat do a disservice to those of us who are sensitive to higher carb foods and the resulting cravings. In other words we need to stick to a lower carb/higher protein food plan to sustain a healthy way of eating that allows us to lose weight.

I didn't want to copy and paste the whole thing, but I 100% totally agree with you - for me - thats what seems to work the best. I did get over many many cravings by laying aside triggers. I cant eat everything that others can, but its more a choice rather than a drudgery. However, if i am out i will eat maybe ice cream and its going to be the best full fat ice cream and just be that one indulgence. or once in a while i will choose to eat pizza, however, i am not going to tease myself with snacking on things that others seem to be able to snack on, because that will screw me up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with white eggs? I thought the shell colour has to do with the breed?

Everyone knows that the Rhode Island Reds are the only clean chicken . . .

amen brother!
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    For people who are sensitive to sugars, high carb foods, etc. finding their own definition of clean eating is not a joke, and it does a disservice to newbies to make it a joke. Some people have intense food cravings after eating sugar/higher carb foods that make it very difficult to eat a low calorie/weight loss diet. It is easier to eat "clean" and reduce the food cravings so sticking to lower calorie diet is possible. Here is a summary of some of the research that supports this, under the topic "not all calories are created equal." And by the way, if you are one of those people who can eat ice cream and cookies in limited amounts and not crave more, more, more then stop reading. This doesn't apply to you.

There is a great article in well.blogs.nytimes.com titled "How Carbs Can Trigger Food Cravings by Anahad O'Connor. it summarizes new resarch published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and research published in 2010 in the New England Journal of Medicine that shows that sugary foods and other processed carbs that are known to cause abrupt spikes and falls in blood sugar appear to stimulate parts of the brain involved in hunger, craving and reward. In other words if you eat these foods you want more. It isn't so much that in terms of actual energy/ calories there is a difference, but that these foods affect the neurotransmitters in the brain in a way that sets off craving and leads to overeating. That is why those who say it doesn't matter what you eat do a disservice to those of us who are sensitive to higher carb foods and the resulting cravings. In other words we need to stick to a lower carb/higher protein food plan to sustain a healthy way of eating that allows us to lose weight.

This research supports what I have learned by trial and error. I have lost 75 pounds (took about 18 months) by eating a low carb/high protein (all relatively speaking) diet; and avoiding foods that cause me to crave overeating (sugary and high carb foods). I also ate moderate calories and exercised most days.

What I experienced is that high carb foods set off cravings in me (not immediately but as I begin to metabolize them). I believe I am genetically sensitive to these foods, based on what I have read about the science, and that some people probably share that sensitivity and others don't (like alcohol and alcoholics). What was interesting to me, is that it took about 30 days for the craving to go away, and during that time I experienced symptoms that have been described by other types of addicts who have experienced withdrawal (tired, ache, feeling like the flu, etc.) What is also interesting to me is that it doesn't really depend on what kind of carbs -- I find that very high carb fruits like watermelon, pineapple, etc. set off the cravings as I begin to metabolize them while less ripe apples, pears, and berries generally do not. Brown rice, whole grain breads, etc. also don't work for me. I get plenty of carbs from vegetables, e.g. broccoli, eggplant, cauliflower, carrots, etc , less ripe apples, pears, etc. I also seem to need a lot more protein that what a lot of people talk about, and I eat that spread out four times a day.

At 60, I feel better than I have ever felt before, and don't crave the sweet/white flour stuff. I lift heavy weights, do kettle bells, a lot of aerobic exercise, and my arthritis is so much better I can even jog a moderate amount with the approval of my arthritis doctor. Amazing what weight loss, and increased muscle strength can do for arthritis!

I am so glad that this science and epidemiology is available to help others, and that I do not need to feel that I am a sample of one. So my definition of clean eating works for me, and I hope you find a plan that works for you.

calories are a unit of energy..so yes they are all equal, sorry to break it to you ...
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that Greek yogurt has become more of a religion than the Greek Orthodox Church?
    And that's coming from someone who LIKES the stuff.
  • jess4fun
    jess4fun Posts: 20
    Options
    Any New Englanders out there might remember this ditty from the 80's......"Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh."
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Umm, no, it's Buff Orpingtons. No way can eggs from a ginger chicken be clean. Nuh-uh.

:angry:

Nothing good can come from a red-headed chicken.

:angry: :angry:

*hides behind Otter*

****protects Davena from the angry ginger!!****

CJdzGIA.gif
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I like your list a lot and would be similar to mine :)

I would probably add 97 lean ground beef, Barilla Plus pasta, protein shakes, berries, almonds, natural peanut butter, oats, tilapia, tuna, and the occasional oreo blizzard

Will you make a shopping list for me? 'cause I highly agree with the occasional Oreo Blizzard.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    what is the difference between a brown egg and a white egg...

why can't you eat beef? whats the beef?

Yeah I'm unclear on how beef is dirty also lol. It's a great way to get protein and heme iron, and lean or not doesn't matter other than for calorie content.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like your list a lot and would be similar to mine :)

I would probably add 97 lean ground beef, Barilla Plus pasta, protein shakes, berries, almonds, natural peanut butter, oats, tilapia, tuna, and the occasional oreo blizzard

Will you make a shopping list for me? 'cause I highly agree with the occasional Oreo Blizzard.

Haha, sure!
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "calories are a unit of energy..so yes they are all equal, sorry to break it to you ..."
    [/quote]

A calorie is an equal measurement, but the macronutrients which account for the calories are not created equal. And that's what she's meaning. If I ate 600 grams of carbs a day that would be 2,400 calories and if I ate 600 grams of protein a day, that would again be 2,400 calories. Show me someone who eats 2,400 kcal/ of steak a day and someone who eats 2,400 calories worth of twinkies a day, somehow adjust for all other variables and let's see how they match up.
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    lesson one..don't say the word clean on this forum.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    My shopping list (and not a thing is organic):

Lean beef

Chicken breasts

Lean pork chops

Various fish

Milk

Greek Yogurt

Veggies - lots of them

Fruit - lots of it

Whole wheat bread and tortillias

Aunt Jemima pancake mix

Klondike bars - lots of them

Maple syrup

Eggs - tons

Egg Beaters - tons

Cheese

Krispy Kreme donuts

BACON!!!! Thick sliced, of course

Beer and wine :drinker:

Pasta - regular white TYVM

Tomato sauce and canned tomatoes

Olives (love the big ones with cheese for martinis)

Canned clams and clam sauce

Canned tuna fish

Chocolate syrup

Microwave popcorn

Oreos (I love the HFCS in these!)

Coffee

ETA: Oops! Must add peanut butter and beans to that

Ok add some thick and fluffy cinnamon eggos and some pop tarts and I would have thought you stole my list.... :drinker:
    That's my list too, except I haven't seen Krispy Kremes here in Canada. :sad: Send some up, and that Oreo Cookies and Cream cereal too. :laugh:
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with white eggs? I thought the shell colour has to do with the breed?

Everyone knows that the Rhode Island Reds are the only clean chicken . . .

Umm, no, it's Buff Orpingtons. No way can eggs from a ginger chicken be clean. Nuh-uh.

OP: Does this rule only apply to chickens? My brown ducks have been laying white eggs, should I have a talking to with them? Should I worry about the ravens who steal and eat their eggs? Is their health at risk from dirty eating?

And what about my blue or green eggs? You didn't say if they are okay or not. This is all just so complicated :angry:
    I only eat green eggs born to a virgin chicken under a blue moon.
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options
    This is only an example of Clean Eating in meaning to eat non-processed foods and go for the more healthier options. I know there are various examples or ways people choose to "Clean Eat". This is only an example for those who may want to know what clean eating is about. :blushing:
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options
    Thank you for getting what I meant. Im just giving an example of choosing healthier options for your calories, other then processed foods.

I understand we all choose to eat differently, what works for one doesnt work for the other.

:happy:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Thank you for getting what I meant. Im just giving an example of choosing healthier options for your calories, other then processed foods.

I understand we all choose to eat differently, what works for one doesnt work for the other.

:happy:

So... you do understand the food that you are eating ARE processed, right?
  • AngelRMartinez
    Options
    Bread: Ezekiel Brand Bread, Trader Joe Whole grain, Ak Mak (whole crachers), Alvarado st bakery

I'm not even going to go into how bread is a processed food.....
    Produce: Any Fresh Fruit or Veggie

does this include all the veggies which have been genetically motified, sprayed with pesticide, ripened with ethylene gas, or sprayed with sulphur dioxide?
    Poultry: Avoid the carton of white eggs OPT for the Brown Organic; Egg whites are essential; Boneless skinless turkey; OR B/S Chicken Breast

Why avoid the white eggs? You do realize the color of the chicken determines the color of the eggs, right? Also, many turkeys and chickens are pumped full of hormones to reach maturity are force fed so they cannot even stand or walk, sit in tiny closed in the dark houses in their own feces? They treat them with antibiotics so they can avoid excess casualties.
    Beef & Meats: Venison, Bisen, Buffalo, Fish, Duck, *Beef is not normally part of a clean diet* LEAN BEEF

non-descriptive list in which most products are heavily processed
    Dairy & NON: Fat Free or 1 % Milk, Lowfat Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Fat free or Plain Yogurt, Unsweetend Almond Milk, Unsweetened Coconut Milk, ***Cheese (Usually Avoided)***

So... most cows are corn fed which causes excessive amounts of e-coli. they are then pumped with antibiotics and hormones so they constantly produce milk. If you remove fat from milk, aren't you just left with sugar? Why would you get fat free or 1% over whole? Dont see how yogurt and cottage cheese is somehow less processed than cheese? LOL. How do they make almond milk? They add "Calcium Carbonate Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, Natural Flavor"... is that considered clean?
    The Aisles: Tea (Green), Coffee (Black), Oatmeal, Beans (black, lentils), Raw Nuts & Seeds (Flax Seeds, Unsalted nuts)

Another non-descriptive list in which most products are heavily processed?
    Condiments: Sugar Free Mustard, Honey, Pure Maple Syrup, Herbs & Spices (organic)

:laugh:
    Flour: Whole Wheat Flour, White Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Wheat pastry flour, Whole Grains, Brown Rice, Quinoa Pasta

:laugh:
    Healthy Fats: Avocado, Hummus, Olive Oil

Not trying to rag on your list here... simply stating that even if you think you're "eating clean" you probably arent? Who defines "clean"?

Might as well eat foods you enjoy, knowing that they have probably been processed in some sort of way and not worry about it being perceived as a "clean food".

Its not about if the food is CLEAN as far as being dirty... really. Clean has been taken out of context. Its just about choosing healthier options; at least for me it is. This is only an example I know that many other ppl have different ideas of "Clean Eating". To each there own. We are all different and what works for one doesnt always work for another.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The clean eating threads are getting so boring... even more boring than the women who keep reporting when it's their TOM and definitely more boring than the people who keep juicing their food as if they have just had their jaws wired
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Poultry: Avoid the carton of white eggs OPT for the Brown Organic; Egg whites are essential; Boneless skinless turkey; OR B/S Chicken Breast

Why avoid the white eggs? You do realize the color of the chicken determines the color of the eggs, right? Also, many turkeys and chickens are pumped full of hormones to reach maturity are force fed so they cannot even stand or walk, sit in tiny closed in the dark houses in their own feces? They treat them with antibiotics so they can avoid excess casualties.

I would just like to point out that this is false. The color of a chicken has nothing to do with the color of the eggs it lays.

Also, it's been repeatedly proven, no one can taste a difference between white eggs and brown eggs. It's completely psychological to like your eggs to be the color brown.