No period? NOT PREGNANT! When to go to doctor?

Options
I haven't had a period in 2 months, and there is NO (read dry spell!) way I am pregnant. I have never missed consecutive periods before, but I have missed one on occasion due to illness or stress in my life. I think it is somehow connected to my weight loss, but I am no were near the body fat percentage that you are supposed to loose your periods. My friends are telling me not to be concerned, but I am a bit. However, I have lost close to 100lbs and they say that might have something to do with it.

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    When to go to doctor? NOW!!!!!!! ASAP!!!!!

ETA: You need to eat more!!! Your body NEEDS FUEL!!!! Yeah, that's how you screw up metabolism and the health of your body!!! :angry:
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go if I don't get it by the end of the month. I guess I want some reassurance that nothing seriously is wrong.
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1500 a day, which is my TDEE minus 20%. I hardly work out, and log and eat calories if I do. However, these last two weeks have been weird, and I have eaten other peoples cooking I can't log (don't know the calories for).
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go if I don't get it by the end of the month. I guess I want some reassurance that nothing seriously is wrong.

This IS serious!!!!! Don't wait!!!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    it probably does have something to do with the weight loss, but i would call the doctor and go in anyway for some blood work and an exam. better safe than sorry. best of luck!
  • kmgt
    kmgt Posts: 24
    Options
    When we were trying to get pregnant with #3, I suddenly stopped ovulating and therefore not getting my period. I would call my OB somewhere in the 50-60 day of my cycle. He would then prescribe me a med (can't remember the name) to start my period. I don't know what the exactly time frame is of how long you can wait.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if your BMI/weight is too low, it can stop you from having periods. Could also be anemia, hormonal, a multitude of things. So it is best that you make an appointment and get yourself checked out asap.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    It could be anything, just make the appointment and see what the doctor has to say about it.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    If my reproduction parts quit working, I'd freak out. I'd run to the OBGYN.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If you have insurance to cover it, you can get a complete hormone panel (blood tests) done to determine how your hormones levels are.
    I did this and discovered mine were all a touch low.
    I am NOT a doctor/medication person AT ALL so I did this test just to let me know why I had missed a couple periods/was feeling tired, etc. etc.
    My personal fix was to simply heal by exercising, getting adequate rest, sunshine, get rid of stressors (people, emotional issues).
    It takes months to heal imbalance hormones. I used supplements and herbs (not excessive, just a few targeted ones).
    I gave myself time and made improvements one by one.

Edit to add that hormones are really important. Imbalanced hormones are not fun, they interfere with moods, feminine beauty, and general health. It's important to take care of yourself, and not be extreme.
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been eating well recently it could be due to nutrition, but since it's in the last two months unless you are under BMI it's probably unlikely to be that. Sometimes diets cause hormones to go crazy on us but you would have noticed it early on. It's a good idea to get it checked by a doctor, just the same. Don't worry, take a step forward and find out the answers you need, it's good you are going now rather than later, so you won't stay worried each month. tc
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have never had a normal period in my entire life, so I personally wouldn't go to the doctor unless it had been more than like 3 months. But if it is generally normal and consistent you should probably see a doctor.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you are now close to your goal weight, then 20% is too much of a cut. Not sure how far you are from goal. You may need to be at a 15% cut or a 10% cut instead.

But yes, also see the doctor sooner rather than later. It's not normal for them to just stop. Get it checked out.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is cause for major alarm. Plenty of women have irregular or missing cycles. I am one of them. I lost my period when I lost 20 pounds, but was still in a normal weight range. The doctor was completely not one bit alarmed by this. She put me on birth control and sent me on my way. My periods never ended up regulating themselves (despite continuing to be in a normal weight range). My hormones are all normal - I just don't ovulate normally. My doc said this just happens to some women. I'm not saying you shouldn't go to the doctor, but I just don't think this is cause for a major freak out.... Good luck!
  • miniversion
    miniversion Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are pretty worried, it would probably be good to go soon. If you feel like waiting, you can try exercising and drinking ginger tea or eating ginger? Ginger seems to make my TOM early.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you've never missed a period before, I would call a doctor and make an appointment. You never know what could be going on. None of us can give you any reassurance because we are not doctors. It could be nothing, it could be something. Definitely worth going to the MD about pronto.

marjiboo - I understand your periods are irregular, but you really shouldn't be telling someone who stated that they have never missed a consecutive period that there is no cause for major alarm, unless you are a doctor. Not trying to be mean or a b*tch here. I just think we all should be careful of the advice we give out, especially relating to medical concerns.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^
    Disclaimer at bottom of page.
    People can give their opinions if they want to.

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    after 6 months of no periods.....i would recommend seeing a doctor.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^
    Disclaimer at bottom of page.
    People can give their opinions if they want to.

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."

What I said stands even if that is at the bottom of the page. You don't know if anyone actually looks that far down or not. There is so much on the page, it's easy to miss.
  • hugalot28
    Options
    I am not a doctor however I have spent several years in the medical field. The general rule is that if you have missed 2 months or more consecutively then you need to see your OB just to make sure everything is in line blood work wise....