Losing Inches but GAINING weight

Options
2»

Replies

• gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't really help, but when I first started strength training I gained 7 lbs. My inches started going down after about 2-3 weeks, but the scale took about 6 weeks before it went back to normal. Since getting back to "normal," I've only lost 2 more lbs, but the inches keep inching on down.

The point to the book I just wrote, give it a little more time. As long as you see progress with inches, you're good!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I STRONGLY suggest you get a fabric tape measure and start measuring/weighing/taking pictures of yourself once a week instead of daily. Discipline yourself to stay off the scale. The tape measure won't lie to you.

I do have a soft measuring tape, and I was too afraid to take before photos. I do have photos of me at my biggest, though, so I'll use those in my stead.

How often do you recommend taking pictures of yourself? Once a month? Every three months? Visual documentation will be paramount for me.

I didn't take before pictures and I regret it so much. I didn't even take measurements until over a month passed. I check my measurements about every two weeks. I still haven't gotten myself to take pictures. I was always phobic about taking pictures but I'm working on that.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    throw out the damn scale! its hard but if it is screwing with ur brain that much and you are smaller then throw it out! or put it away for a month. I dont really care what I weigh, if I can get back into my skinny jeans im down with that!

This is great advice. I put my scale away a month ago because"it got stuck" at 213. I broke out the tape measure, focused on measuring and weighing foods, my workouts, and I'm proud to report that my clothes are definitely bigger on me now. I'll weigh in next week, then go another month before doing it again. I find out rather freeing. It's TIRING obsessing over a stupid number.

Hang in, girly. You got this.
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Coincidently… I stumbled on this at about 10am today:

“ ..... Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat.”

SO – bottom line is – YOU’RE GOLD!

That’s only party of a veeeerrry long article that has made my day. Best of luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see people post their weight on their foreheads and be judged by it.

If one looks the way they want, fits the clothes they want, and here's about how great they look...........................then how does scale weight matter? Unless life/health insurance is involved, it really doesn't.

If one is living and dying by the scale, then they need to rid themselves of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Also can people please stop saying muscle weighs more than fat? A pound is a pound, regardless of what it's made up of. Muscle just takes up less room...
  • Kimi103
    Kimi103 Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree with the girl who said to take a before and after pic! It will really help you to SEE the inches coming off and it will allow you to take the focus off the scale. Or get a tape measure and measure your body every week so you can see the inches just fallling off.
  • Inrequia
    Inrequia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I 've read all of the replies, and truly appreciate you all taking the time to respond! I'll take your advice to heart. :)
  • aumannjoy2
    Options
    I am very depressed myself, too. I walk 10 -14 miles a day and do 30-45 minutes (besides what I do at work) of exercise a day (Saturday is my off day) and I eat a well balance diet and with no desserts. I gain over 5 pounds since I started this program just a month ago (now I weigh over 180). However, I did lose 2 dress sizes but since I am a soldier I NEED to lose the weight also. Please do not tell me that muscles weigh more than fat because a pound of fat weighs just as much as a pound of muscle or in other words a pound is a pound, no matter what it is. I am at the point of just giving up and remaining fat forever. We got Calvin Klein saying size 10 is super size so why bother?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Also can people please stop saying muscle weighs more than fat? A pound is a pound, regardless of what it's made up of. Muscle just takes up less room...

Agree. ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Question...Do you KNOW you're smaller now? Did you take measurements and pictures? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that sometimes working out can give you such a boost of confidence, you could feel lighter, but not really be losing any weight.

Also, muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Typically we don't gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit, except maybe if you're a beginner, you can get slight newbie gains.

You've been weighing your food and logging everything?