Boosting your energy level

Options
Hi everyone,

My question:
How can I boost my energy level? I struggle with lack of concentration and energy in general. I am 26 years now and I feel a lot less fit than 8 years ago. I'm already on my way back, here's a list of what I've changed already:

Here is a list of things that I am changing already:
- sleeping pattern (sleep before 00:00, regular times, don't set alarm but sleep until I've slept enough (currently around 9 am) )
- stop smoking (did that 14 days ago)
- drink more water
- lose weight (lost 16.5 kg now)
- take regular walks

I already feel better because of this. However, since I just quit smoking and I've been through a stressful period with my studies, my lungs are cleaning themselves and I am feeling the aftershock from the stress - so I'm a bit ill/tired now. I trust that this will go over in the next weeks. Anyways, to be proactive, here is a list of changes I hope to make. I am curious what you think about it.

Plans:
- stop drinking alcohol
- stop drinking coffee after 2 pm
- eat more regularly
- "design" meals to make sure I have enough nutrients.
- start taking vitamin pills
- lose more weight (another 10 kgs)
- exercise more regularly, build this up carefully
- manage stress better / worry less
- create a daily routine

What do you think about this? Do you think my plans will help to get more mental and physical energy? Do you have any other ideas that might help? What foods are good for (long term) energy? What habits? Does routine help you? How does it work for you? Have you made changes that made a big differences for you? Are you struggling with this too?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Jasper

(I don't know where to place this, I think since food/nutrition is important for energy I can place it here)

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When I started getting healthy, I noticed that my energy level naturally increased since I was doing more exercise and losing weight. I make sure to eat a balanced diet, get enough sleep (about 7 hours works for me), and regularly exercise.

I would say that you don't need to quit drinking alcohol to increase your energy level, but you definitely need to be aware of your intake and not get blitzed every night (though if you want to give it up, go for it). You also don't necessarily need vitamin pills if your diet is balanced and you are getting enough nutrients from the food you eat.
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    That is very good! It must feel great to have this extra energy!

I also hope it'll come from making some of the changes I mentioned. There was a time that I felt more energy for some weeks, I did a lot of sports and already lost 13 kg by then. After that however I had a very stressful time and got back to smoking unfortunately it is over now, but I still feel the impact of that unhealthy month. Smoking is clearly a killer, and so is stress! Better avoid them.

I don't drink that much, but I felt if it could make a 1 percent difference in my energy level to quit alcohol It would already be worth it for me. At least I can save money by doing this, and that's another thing I have to do.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I started getting healthy, I noticed that my energy level naturally increased since I was doing more exercise and losing weight. I make sure to eat a balanced diet, get enough sleep (about 7 hours works for me), and regularly exercise.

I would say that you don't need to quit drinking alcohol to increase your energy level, but you definitely need to be aware of your intake and not get blitzed every night (though if you want to give it up, go for it). You also don't necessarily need vitamin pills if your diet is balanced and you are getting enough nutrients from the food you eat.

This...:)
    The more you do, exercise wise, the more you will want to do, especially if you can get the endorphins flowing. I also take an effervescent vitamin/mineral drink about an hour before my run and ive found this gives me a bit of pep.

I still drink alcohol, but before this diet i was beginning to open a bottle of wine almost every night. Now i only drink during social occassions which means once every couple of weeks, and i log it all in MFP.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    simply put,,,
    BOOZE,,,,
    you will be able to run up and down the street naked,
    all the time
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're eating, but getting enough calories is definitely related to energy levels. Are you getting enough calories in your day?
    Also it seems like you might be biting off a bit much. I understand wanting to make a lifestyle change, but how quickly are you wanting to achieve these goals? I might try to maybe do one goal every two or three months. This will probably be more sustainable in the long run.
  • jxspxr
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

@scottaworley - thank you for your concern, I think you have a valid point. I can tell you that I am eating enough right now, but I've been eating less while burning more for 6 months, that may have an effect. Anyways, I took a break from that about a month ago. So, yes, I am sure that I get enough calories right now (I actually gained 1-2 kilograms of weight, probably related to quitting smoking. Last time I quit smoking I gained 10 kilograms, I won't let that happen again).

About the pace I take for these lifestyle changes... I was aware when writing the OP that it may seem that I plan to make a lot of sudden/rapid changes, but actually I've been working on my health for about 10 months and the list of changes I mention in this thread is intended as an idea list for the long run, I know it'll take at least a year before I'll comfortably live the lifestyle I have in mind right now.

Scott, you suggest making one of these changes every 2-3 months. Excellent point, I've learned that that's how it works for me too. I've been changing my lifestyle on that pace so far and I don't plan to accelerate. I think we humans really need to develop habits to get things done, I mean you can make this many changes on willpower (like trying to immediately demand of myself to adopt this whole list of changes) - but then we end up losing hope/motivation/energy - the only thing that such an approach brings is frustration.

I like making such lists to get an overview of the journey I am making and want to continue on, because I am experiencing that it is very good for me and I enjoy it when I see that I changed something in my habits, I even enjoy the new habits myself - but to get there you need to make a change in your routine and that is what I find most challenging. I think if you successfully make such a change every 2-3 months like you propose, you have enough time to make a strong habit out of it and because changing one thing in your life can have a big impact - often bigger than I anticipated, you're actually revolutionising your life really quickly.

Actually, I think it's better to make one sustainable, thorough, big change every 2-3 months - one that you really get into your system - then to make 3-10 changes, because those changes will probably not last, it'll be very stressful to maintain those new habits and you'll miss a lot of the benefits. I've done that too and I always feel like life is one big roller coaster ride if I am in such a period - which is interesting but incredibly stressful and life is actually pretty weird.

Is that what you meant? Do you feel the same?
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For me, I didn't improve until I got treated for depression. I didn't realize how much it was sucking out of me! I think all your changes look great and will certainly be helpful. This might not be a problem for you, but I also realize when I medicate myself to sleep -- drinking or eating/smoking herbs -- I don't quite wake up all the way the next day, so I try to go to bed clear-headed now and it helps a lot.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

@scottaworley - thank you for your concern, I think you have a valid point. I can tell you that I am eating enough right now, but I've been eating less while burning more for 6 months, that may have an effect. Anyways, I took a break from that about a month ago. So, yes, I am sure that I get enough calories right now (I actually gained 1-2 kilograms of weight, probably related to quitting smoking. Last time I quit smoking I gained 10 kilograms, I won't let that happen again).

About the pace I take for these lifestyle changes... I was aware when writing the OP that it may seem that I plan to make a lot of sudden/rapid changes, but actually I've been working on my health for about 10 months and the list of changes I mention in this thread is intended as an idea list for the long run, I know it'll take at least a year before I'll comfortably live the lifestyle I have in mind right now.

Scott, you suggest making one of these changes every 2-3 months. Excellent point, I've learned that that's how it works for me too. I've been changing my lifestyle on that pace so far and I don't plan to accelerate. I think we humans really need to develop habits to get things done, I mean you can make this many changes on willpower (like trying to immediately demand of myself to adopt this whole list of changes) - but then we end up losing hope/motivation/energy - the only thing that such an approach brings is frustration.

I like making such lists to get an overview of the journey I am making and want to continue on, because I am experiencing that it is very good for me and I enjoy it when I see that I changed something in my habits, I even enjoy the new habits myself - but to get there you need to make a change in your routine and that is what I find most challenging. I think if you successfully make such a change every 2-3 months like you propose, you have enough time to make a strong habit out of it and because changing one thing in your life can have a big impact - often bigger than I anticipated, you're actually revolutionising your life really quickly.

Actually, I think it's better to make one sustainable, thorough, big change every 2-3 months - one that you really get into your system - then to make 3-10 changes, because those changes will probably not last, it'll be very stressful to maintain those new habits and you'll miss a lot of the benefits. I've done that too and I always feel like life is one big roller coaster ride if I am in such a period - which is interesting but incredibly stressful and life is actually pretty weird.

Is that what you meant? Do you feel the same?

That's exactly what I meant! It looks like you've got a pretty good plan in place. Best of luck! I'm trying to quit smoking myself (been smoking for about 9 years. Tried to quit about 9 times), and I have respect for anyone who can keep it up!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What you eat matters, too. I've had huge energy since I replaced junk foods and sweets by fruits, veggies, whole grains, protein: eggs, yogurt, grilled chicken, fish etc.
  • jxspxr
    Options
    I took my next step on my road to a healthy life - no more coffee after 2 pm! I hope this helps me to sleep better. I like it that it's not very strict, I can still drink coffee before 2 pm and I'll surely do that (in moderation). Next station: increasing sports (swimming/running).

@scottaworley - thanks!
    about quitting smoking, I've learned some things: 1) 90% of the difficulty of quitting smoking is in the first 10 days. Those days are tough. After that it's far less difficult (for me) 2) smoking has no real benefits. Comfort? A lot of discomfort all day because of cravings, a lot of discomfort later in life. Helping with stress? I think smoking actually creates or maintains a certain level of stress. Other ways to relieve stress are just as quick and much more effective, such as taking a short walk, chewing some gum or drinking some water. 3) quitting smoking will require you to be on your guard for the rest of your life. You'll experience short moments of desire to smoke (lasting a couple of minutes) on many different moments in life. Probably these moments are months apart, but they'll be there, they may be really strong and intense - but they'll be short too and resisting them is worth it. Otherwise you'll have many of those cravings every day. That's what smoking means for me and I don't want that again.

I don't wish to preach, you are free to do what you want, but I hope this may be helpful. Probably you found this out yourself; in that case you have a reminder. Good luck, I hope you'll make it!