Very excited & just found out today I am Diabetic

Options
My wife and I just started counting calories, exercising and using this app Monday. It's been great! We are both very excited at our new lifestyle change. I do not know much about Diabetes so now I need to educate myself. Any tips or info would be appreciated. Good luck to you and reaching your goals!

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi cvonnieda!

You've made a great decision turning to this program for help and are very fortunate to have your wife in your corner for support towards living long term healthier lifestyles.

As a Type 2 diabetic, The My Fitness Pal program is a wonderful tool, it’s not only helped me adopt healthier nutrition habits, but it’s also helped me dramatically improve my blood sugar control and diabetes management by learning how to count and track carbs by honestly logging everything I eat and sticking to it like glue.

As you may know, one of the first and paramount defenses in lowering blood sugars is using your glucose meter to monitor the effects of the food choices you make on your blood sugars. By testing before meals and again 2 hours after meals, you will quickly learn what effect if any, those choices had on your blood sugars. The general consensus is to shoot for a test result in the range of 120 to 140 2 hours after meal-times however, you should seek out target ranges to aim for as recommended by your healthcare provider. I strongly encourage you to seek out a diabetes education class in your area if you haven't already as these programs were very beneficial to me when first diagnosed.

One of the most frustrating issues with diabetes is it’s a very individualistic condition and what works for me in controlling my blood sugars may or may not work for you or the next person. Your glucose meter is going to be your best friend, and it’ll help you make healthier food choices needed for good blood sugar control.

www.calorieking.com ( A great site for calorie and carb counting)

www.bloodsugar101.com

www.diabetesdaily.com

www.diabetes.co.uk

www.diabetesselfmanagement.com

The above ^^^ links are packed with invaluable information designed to answer your questions about successful diabetes management practices and not to be construed as medical advise.

If you're interested, there is a very supportive, encouraging and knowledgeable group of other T2's at the MFP T2 support group. Have a look around the various threads and ask questions when you feel the need.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you think I might be of help. I welcome the opportunity to offer you any help and support possible. I'm a T2 diabetic living complication free since 1982.

I wish you quick success and good health!
  • pennyscabin
    pennyscabin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 months ago...WOW...what a change in our lives!!! He was already lean but he has really stuck to the diabetic recommendations and he has already lost a pant size! (His goals are sugar control.) I really needed to lose weight so this was a great opportunity for me to get it together! I don't have such an easy time losing...

Glad to see you here! I would love to follow your journey since you also have diabetes.
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed too with Type 2 Diabetes. What has helped me was to lower my food portions, eat healthier carbs and exercise. I have lost more that 10 pounds already. At first I was depressed but not anymore. I take it day by day. I have learn to make better food choices and to move my body all the time. I am 41 and I will not let it control my life. This site has helped me keep track of what I eat and keep me accountable. Also the support is great.

Good luck on this journey. You are not alone. You have made a great decision to be here!
  • jdunlap065
    Options
    Glad to see you've already found a good place to interact and where a lot of your diabetic and diet questions can be answered. Welcome aboard!!! Like others on here i am a T2 diabetic since 1995. Looks like you're already getting some good advice from other folks on here.

Please add me as your friend if you like. Would be glad to help you learn about T2
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,673 Member
    Options
    There are Diabetes, and Insulin Resistance Groups on the Forums. Search the Groups. Some interesting papers posted recently about reversing diabetes with weight loss.