Going to the gym, counting calories, not losing weight

Options
I started going to the gym about a month ago and have been going regularly every week. I am 5'2.5 and weigh around 144 lb. I At first I was eating around 1200 cals/day then when I realised I wasn't losing weight, I started eating 1460 cals/day and every 3/4 days I go up to 2000 cals/day so I don't go into starvation mode. I try to eat between 4-5 meals a day every 2/3 hours. When I did this I went from 66kg to 65kg the next dayand I thought it was working but ever since I have just been fluctuating from around 65/66. When I go the gym I do a mixture of treadmill/weights on some days and I go to a cardio fitness class twice a week. I would say my effort level ranges from 5/10 to 8/10. I know 5/10 isn't great but I'm still exercising so shouldn't I be losing at least SOME weight? This is really discouraging as I am the same weight as when I started a month ago :( Please help. Thanks.

Edit: A few people have mentioned eating back calories burnt, why do you have to do this?

Replies

• claire_conroy05
    claire_conroy05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am similar height and weight..

I think you need to stick to less calories, maybe 1200-1400.

Also..do not give up.. I was trying for ages and nothing happening and then one day I was done four pounds and then continued to lose weight very regularly..

KEEP IT UP you will see results soon!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For caloric intake are you weighing all your solids on a kitchen scale, and liquids with measuring cups? If not you are probably eating a lot more than you think you are.
    How are you calculating calories burned? a lot of methods over estimate the burn
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Also..do not give up.. I was trying for ages and nothing happening and then one day I was done four pounds and then continued to lose weight very regularly..

I disagree with this. I suggest setting your goal to lose no more than 1lb/week, and eat back exercise calories, or at least most of them.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    It's not just weight loss, it's body mass index (ratio of fat to muscle) as well. The exercise will get your metabolism up and build muscle. But it takes a lot of time. Plus muscle weighs more than fat so it's a matter of being tenacious. It took me a year and I'm at a plateau I can't break through at the moment. I cut out chocolate and I've started down a bit. Slowly. Try cutting carbs to a low level or maybe less meat. Switch meat types, eat more fish. Shift your diet and your body will react. Experiment with that, everybody is different. Keep at it, you'll start to loose some weight but you'll be more fit as well and that will do a lot of good too. You're on the right track!
  • garagecat
    Options
    For caloric intake are you weighing all your solids on a kitchen scale, and liquids with measuring cups? If not you are probably eating a lot more than you think you are.
    How are you calculating calories burned? a lot of methods over estimate the burn

Yes I am. I don't really count calories burned, I just try to do an hour at the gym everytime I go and I call it a day necause I think the calories on the screen are unaccurate.
  • knbrooks0728
    Options
    I agree with Claire - it took me 3 weeks and then one day I got on the scale and I had lost 6lbs. I also agree with Eric, my goal is to lose with 1lb a week and I do eat back exercise calories. However, I think you should get a scale that measures not only your total weight, but also your muscle mass and water. Your body is changing (have you checked inches?) and it may not quickly reflect in weight loss because your body composition will change before the pounds drop off. When you exercise, your body retains water in order to repair the muscles. I would also pay attention to high Glycemic Index foods (white rice, flours, tropical fruit etc.) and your sugar intake and avoid them or reduce them. (This includes "healthy foods " like fruit yogurt, diet soft drinks, etc.) But my main advice is this: It isn't all about weight loss. It is about making a permanent life change, being aware of what you eat, how much you move, adequate nutritional intake, etc. There are people in my family with diabetes, heart problems, and kidney issues. If they had done what you are doing now, they wouldn't be sick. I say keep up the great work; you are doing all the right things.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Maybe look at getting a HRM so you know what you're burning?
    I've also bought a fitbit as it can give me a more accurate idea of how many calories I should be eating based on general activity. I'm 5ft and 173lb and it varies between 952kcal (on a non gym day when I literally don't move from my desk at work for 12 hours) to 1,900kcal on a gym day. x
  • garagecat
    Options
    I agree with Claire - it took me 3 weeks and then one day I got on the scale and I had lost 6lbs. I also agree with Eric, my goal is to lose with 1lb a week and I do eat back exercise calories. However, I think you should get a scale that measures not only your total weight, but also your muscle mass and water. Your body is changing (have you checked inches?) and it may not quickly reflect in weight loss because your body composition will change before the pounds drop off. When you exercise, your body retains water in order to repair the muscles. I would also pay attention to high Glycemic Index foods (white rice, flours, tropical fruit etc.) and your sugar intake and avoid them or reduce them. (This includes "healthy foods " like fruit yogurt, diet soft drinks, etc.) But my main advice is this: It isn't all about weight loss. It is about making a permanent life change, being aware of what you eat, how much you move, adequate nutritional intake, etc. There are people in my family with diabetes, heart problems, and kidney issues. If they had done what you are doing now, they wouldn't be sick. I say keep up the great work; you are doing all the right things.

Thanks. I agree it's not about the weight. As someone mentioned before, I could just be gaining muscle. But my waistline is still the same and I don't really see much significant change in definition. I'll try to get my hands on a scale that measures muscle mass an water :)
  • garagecat
    Options

I disagree with this. I suggest setting your goal to lose no more than 1lb/week, and eat back exercise calories, or at least most of them.

Thanks for the advice. I try to aim for at least 1 lb/week but it's not working :( Silly question, but why should you eat back calories? If I can't lose weight with the amount of calories I'm eating now, I'm afraid it'll be even harder to with more calories.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Boy do I understand your frustration!! Do what everyone else is suggesting. Measure your food even when it is a total pain in the butt because as I'm sure you know the average miscalculation is about 20%. Also measure your body. And at your size I would think you should be doing more strength training than cardio. It will take a few months and you may not lose any "weight" but you should see your body becoming more compact and shapely as the weight is shifting from fat the muscle. Also before you weigh in I suggest making the day before low in carbs because they suck up the water and cause a natural retention.
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well.. it seems like to me that 2000 calories for not even put in complete effort is a bit much.... I put in all the effort I can and I seldom eat 2000 calories and daily need is 1600.

The advice I have is maybe you should get a HRM and measure your food... measure.. measure.. measure... huge mistake... If you cant get a HRM then use a machine that allows you to monitor your HR... make sure it is in your zone when you are exercising.... see if your even pushing yourself hard enough to make a difference.... because if your not and your eating 2000 calories.... that would seem like a lot.

I always like to give the advice to talk to your doctor or consult a trainer at the gym!

GOODLUCK!
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you only started your new exercise plan about a month ago, that might be the reason you haven't seen much progress on the scale. It certainly happened that way with me.

I was losing about 1-2lb a week Jan-June, then at start of July I decided increase my exercise and signed up to the gym and started couch to 5k. As soon as I changed my exercise habits I hit a weight plateux but my clothes continued getting looser so I knew that I was still on track. Sure enough so far in August I have lost about 8lbs on the scale!

I would keep at the exercise and not worry too much yet - after all I assume you want to get fit not just be skinny but unfit! If you still don't see any progress after another few weeks reassess.

P.S. I have a HRM to track my exercise burn, but I don't eat all of it back only about 50%. My average including exercise calories is around 1600kcal a day (5ft 3 and 150lbs).
  • garagecat
    Options
    Boy do I understand your frustration!! Do what everyone else is suggesting. Measure your food even when it is a total pain in the butt because as I'm sure you know the average miscalculation is about 20%. Also measure your body. And at your size I would think you should be doing more strength training than cardio. It will take a few months and you may not lose any "weight" but you should see your body becoming more compact and shapely as the weight is shifting from fat the muscle. Also before you weigh in I suggest making the day before low in carbs because they suck up the water and cause a natural retention.

Yes it's very annoying! At the moment I do about 55:35 cardio: weight training respectively. What do you think? Thanks for the advice!
  • SullenX74
    Options
    take measurements for your waist, arms, legs, hips...wherever you can....
    and then check back in a couple weeks.
    It could be BF% that you are losing versus weight.
    Then in a few weeks perhaps weight will drop also.

EACH body is different. there is a science to it - but you have to find what works for YOU. I am taller than you but to lose weight i have to eat less than most. the 'eat more lose more' has never worked for me and i've been doing this weight loss thing since i was 11 and i'm in my late 30's now. although I suppose we all have had a long journey...

so find what works for you. And do those measurements!!
  • garagecat
    Options
    If you only started your new exercise plan about a month ago, that might be the reason you haven't seen much progress on the scale. It certainly happened that way with me.

I was losing about 1-2lb a week Jan-June, then at start of July I decided increase my exercise and signed up to the gym and started couch to 5k. As soon as I changed my exercise habits I hit a weight plateux but my clothes continued getting looser so I knew that I was still on track. Sure enough so far in August I have lost about 8lbs on the scale!

I would keep at the exercise and not worry too much yet - after all I assume you want to get fit not just be skinny but unfit! If you still don't see any progress after another few weeks reassess.

P.S. I have a HRM to track my exercise burn, but I don't eat all of it back only about 50%. My average including exercise calories is around 1600kcal a day (5ft 3 and 150lbs).

Well done!!! We are similar heights and weights :) What kind of cardio:weight training ratio are you doing? And how many times do you exercise a week? Thanks.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and and I TRY to only eat 1500 calories per day, even with working out. I am slowly losing weight, like ounces per week. I measure all my food-from the peanut butter to the meat to how many cups of spinach I'm eating. I also am trying to use my HRM instead of MFP calculations. Once you know that you are truly logging everything correctly then I think you can see if your calories need tweaking.

I try not to eat my exercise calories back. I have tried 1500 calories and eating my calories back and I ended up gaining weight. You have to figure out what works well for you.
  • Miminem
    Miminem Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. Exercise every day, log in my food, continually tweak calories, nutrition, and ask for and follow advice. The weight loss is slow, but the lifestyle is taking hold. I think for me, even though i am still addicted to the scale as my barometer, I am slowly learning to change my fitness life into that, a life, and for sure my body has changed significantly even though I am losing very very slowly. The advice to stick with it is the best advice you will ever get. As hard as it is to believe, it truly is not about the number on the scale. You are a healthier fitter person starting day 1. Good luck and stay the course.
  • Miminem
    Miminem Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. Exercise every day, log in my food, continually tweak calories, nutrition, and ask for and follow advice. The weight loss is slow, but the lifestyle is taking hold. I think for me, even though i am still addicted to the scale as my barometer, I am slowly learning to change my fitness life into that, a life, and for sure my body has changed significantly even though I am losing very very slowly. The advice to stick with it is the best advice you will ever get. As hard as it is to believe, it truly is not about the number on the scale. You are a healthier fitter person starting day 1. Good luck and stay the course.
  • dsims_nc
    dsims_nc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try this.

Aim for 60 grams of carbs per day, and don't worry about the calories.

Don't eat anything white. Flour, Sugar, Potatoes, Bananas, or Rice. Try it for two weeks and see what happens.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'll touch on the eating back calories burned. The answer is you really should think about eating those back, at least half, if not all.

Think of a car. For simplicity. Lets say it takes you a tank of gas to make it though the day. Today, you decide to tear though the highway and use up 1/2 a tank extra. Would you say, meh, why would I need MORE gas to make it though the day. .. then you stall out. Of course your a biological system and way more complex than a car.

MPF already has built in a deficit for you. Working out, running, cardio classes. These do not make you lose weight in of themselves. I never lost a pound from running. It just makes you awesome. Eating at a reasonable deficit is the only way.
    If you are using a TDEE method, then you would not be eating back calories as exercise is factored in.