Quitting smoking? Welcome to the support group!

Options
Hi,

Post here if you are quitting smoking! How far are you? How is it going? Do you have many cravings? What do you do to keep yourself from smoking? What is your motivation?

Me: i quit 14 days ago, it isn't hard anymore during this second week. Week 1 was tough. I use: regular gum and taking walks. I also inform people so they can keep me accountable.

Motivation: everything! Health (long and short term), money, smell, don't like the addicted behavior, I want to be an example for my father, sister and brother who smoke - so they know quitting is possible, or at the very least that I don't support them by joining with them last motivation: smoking is bad mentally - it reduces my discipline, attention span and it raises stress. Oh, and socially, I don't want to walk away from conversations all the time to smoke.

And you?

Cheers,
Jasper

Replies

• HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started my diet and quit smoking on the same day. Been a month now. I used the patch the first week or so. Worked great. No cravings, but maybe that's because I'm distracted by being on a diet and focusing on that.

I agree week 1 is tough. I think part of what motivates me is the dread of having to go through that first week again if I wanted to quit again.

What motivates me is health, and also freedom. I hate being a slave to cigarettes. Wake up, gotta smoke. Everything I do winds up being prefaced by a smoke, or finished with a smoke. Last smoke before bed. Gotta change clothes to get the smell off of me. Uh oh, can't find a lighter. I'll flip the house upside down if I can't find a lighter.

I've quit before. My biggest weakness is being around friends and family who smoke. Then it's something we do together. I love it. We drink coffee, smoke and chat. Probably one of the best things to do for me. That is always the reason I start smoking again. I never do it on my own. I'll go out of town or have a visitor, and bum one off of them... "just one", and then I'm right back at it.
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    Wow respect for your discipline!

I actually paused my diet a month ago, first to spend the willpower on my studies (I see willpower as a limited resource) and now on quitting smoking. I managed to keep my weight stable, but now that I quit smoking I see that my appetite is bigger and I've gained 1-2 kilogram. Not a problem, now that I've gotten through the first two weeks I'll move my attention to my diet/exercise. So, you see, I am quite conscious with my goals, and I take my limits into account. Success depends on my ability to focus my efforts on as few things as possible.

Great to see that it works differently for you, that you have enough willpower to do two of such big goals! How can you balance these two goals? Respect that you've already done this for a month!

Regards,
    Jasper
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We went to Europe this summer.

Two things caused me to be out of breath.

Smoking and extra weight. Guess that's why I lumped them together. It was just 2 years ago that I was charging through boot camp and spin class with no problems,, wasn't smoking and was 30+ lbs lighter. I realized on my trip how far I'd strayed from those days. Doing one or the other would get me 50% to my goal of being able to move again.

Plus I was getting the smoker's laugh. Hate that.

Hunger isn't really a problem for me. Eating low calorie foods means I can eat more, so I'm usually not that hungry. For me, it's breaking the habit of putting something to my face.

I've been chewing gum and I keep lemon water near me, and stick that to my face.
  • jxspxr
    Options
    Great that it works so well for you!

Being out of breath/slow while remembering that you were fit not long ago, is also my core motivation for all of my health goals. My top level of fitness was when I was 18, eight years ago. I was 76 kg, did a good amount of sports, never smoked.

My goal is to become even more fit then I was when I was 18. In order to achieve that, I'll improve my whole lifestyle, paying attention to: smoking, caffeine, alcohol, nutrition, sleeping pattern, stress prevention, cardio exercise, fitness, etc. In fact I've already made many improvements in many of those areas through the last 6 months. My goal is not to spend dozens of hours every week to work on my health - just to stop sabotaging my health and start investing.

I hope you'll be successful as well! Remember what you are doing this all for, social smoking is really not worth the damage it may cause!

Cheers,
    Jasper
  • jxspxr
    Options
    Anyone else recently quit? Or decide at this very moment to quit? ;)
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest and say I enjoy smoking. I like the action, I like inhaling. But I have never been a fan of the smell, and the fact that I am prone to lung problems and emphysema thanks to genetics. I have never had cravings and at one point just stopped for 2 years. But I took it up again when my life went to pot lol. I recently discovered e-cigs are actually awesome, and can now get my behavioural fix without the need for the smell, the heavy chest, the suffering after smoking too much on a night out. Plus, I have an e-shish that's bubblegum flavour, so I get a sweetie fix as well, win win!

So no, I didn't make the choice to quit smoking, I still consider myself a smoker - but I no longer smoke cigarettes lol
  • jxspxr
    Options
    @Kaned_ferret - Very wise to change to ecigs! I don't see a problem in that, you avoid the most downsides of smoking now!

Cheers,
    Jasper
  • sashalav
    sashalav Posts: 11
    Options
    I quit smoking year and a half ago. It was my first attempt to quit. like to say that I quit because I was too lazy to keep doing it, but there were really many small reasons. I have 30 years of smoking record, so I did it all: ripped part of the lip when cigarette stuck on, lit up and wrong side and inhaled filter fumes, looked through ashtray for cigarette that is not all the way done, burned fingers and lip number of times, stood out in -20C smoking .... The thing that bothered me the most is when I realized that my entire life, every minute of it, revolves around smoking - before you can do anything else in a morning you have to have a smoke. That is priority. Sometimes that means going out to tobacco store before having shower of coffee or brushing teeth, then coming back, having a cigarette and then "starting" a day. When going out to restaurant, the choice depends on "smoking options". When doing ANYTHING at all, the first though is always smoking. That excluded bunch of activities that I might otherwise enjoy.

Anyway, after I realized I want to quit, I started "googling" on that topic. I was finding bunch of aids and tools you can buy that were supposedly helpful. Much more rare, I was also stumbling on posts saying that all those tools are just a scam. Initially I ignored such articles, but at some point I gave in. What I learned was, and this is no big secret, that nicotine is what creates addiction to smoking. The most of nicotine clears out of you body in about two days. Some traces remain much longer, but far below anything that can affect person in any significant way. So that would mean that after I stop smoking I was to expect about 4 days to a week of cravings as nicotine levels drop and body will keep asking for it. That did not seem very long time so I decided to give it a shot. I read many stories of people quitting and then starting again and I did not want to be one of those. I wanted to quit and be done with it. To do this, I wanted to make sure I remember all the reasons I quit forever so that if ever I consider smoking again I have them to stop me from it.

I started quitting by smoking .. and keeping smoking diary. Before I would light up, I would enter the date and time when I did. When i would finish the smoke, I would enter exact date and time too. I did not use any app, just pen and paper, so there was some effort involved into doing it. It was not major effort, but it did let me focus on how much of my time smoking steals. At the end of the day, when I was sure I will not smoke any more, I would sum all the time up. One day that meant that I could not have sex after as that would lead to smoking and I already "closed" that day. That event and every other when something less than pleasant and related to smoking would happen I would store it in my mind - the event itself and all the feelings around it - for an example putting out cigarette and burning the finger a little bit, putting the finger in my mouth to stop the pain, tasting the ash and yuck from the ashtray, wiping the finger on the white pants where it left grey and brown smelly stain. Over one week smoker paying attention, and I was paying attention, can accumulate huge number of these unpleasant memories and store them for later. As I type this I shudder as they bobble up.

After that week was over, the time was to actually stop smoking. At that time I was ready. I was fully aware of my habit, what it does and how much it takes away from me and I was looking at quitting not as an effort, but rather as one thing less I have to do and deal with. To not-have a cigarette is not something you have to do - it is something where you have to do absolutely nothing. That is where my jab about quitting due to laziness comes from. Anyway, I stopped smoking. I did not throw any of my smoking gear - it is still all here in my desk drawer. The first day I almost lit up few times by accident - just because of the force of habit. But, over the previous week I formed another habit forcing me to track my smoking and that would remind me that I no longer smoke. The worst craving was not need for nicotine, that cleared away in one day (that is right - ONE DAY). Next morning I had no "need" to smoke. What i did have was "glee", for the lack of better word. I knew that life without smoking will be different and I was looking forward to try it. I love new experiences, new food, new places, new people. Quitting gave me all that the very next day. Coffee tasted different, not better or worse but different (eventually I did realize I do not like drip coffee and now i drink espresso). Every food tested a tiny bit different just because there was no fresh burn on my tongue. As the time went by and my tongue healed, things tested different all the time. All new foods and drinks because new almost every day. I was in a foodie heaven (which eventually brought me to this site but that is another story still being written). I get to do places I avoided before due to lack of smoking opportunities, I get to talk to people who do not leave restaurant after the meal to light up, and all this required me to do nothing extra, no effort of any kind. The worst, or actually the only real craving was in my fingers and my lips. I tried bunch of things I did learn that if you eat too many baby carrots your palms get yellow and orange and luckily that eventually clears. Eventually, over the next couple weeks that was all behind me.

Last week, I had a cigar. It was special cigar and special occasion and I had few puffs and it made me feel a little bit dizzy and tiny bit sick and that is it. I could not finish it. I have no desire to do it again - ever. I am non-smoker for life.

Everyone trying to quit has a right to know that IT IS EASY. It is not the easiest thing I ever did, but it is miles away from hard. You do not need any pills, gums, supplements - all that industry is created to keep you addicted and buying. Nicotine addiction will be gone in, at most, couple of days. Anyone saying differently in uninformed or wants to sell you something that will "help with nicotine addiction". There is no more "social" aspect to smoking - just the opposite. Quitting is gift that keeps giving, in a good way, for very long time. I am ashamed to admit that every time I see a smoker I get a small evil grin and my first thought is "sucker!" but then I remember that was me just a year and a half ago and I want to share what I learned and that is that quitting smoking is just super easy thing to do.

Edit: I typed all that in a few minutes and when I started I did not know how much stuff is about to pour out. I do notice bunch of words missing here and there so please feel free to insert "a"s, "and"s, "is"s ... and so on where appropriate as I have some work to do :)
  • Hi! I just joined today, and one of my major goals ion this journey to health is to quit smoking. I am hoping that quitting along with starting other healthy habits (such as starting the couchto5k program) will make it easier to quit. i am nervous about how uncomfortable i will have to feel and for how long. i appreciate the advice that this is "not really hard". i'm going to try to think of it that way from now on! Thanks everyone!
  • DerryJohn
    Options
    hello. my name is john and i joined this site today too. i have been smoking since i was 13. i am trying to quit for my children i want to be around as long as possible. i have tried quitting cold turkey multiple times but have failed each time. it is my goal to be cigarette free in 6 months