19 with Hypothyroidism, Help??

Options
mickayla94
mickayla94 Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm a 19 yr old female with hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed at 5 years old. I take synthroid.
BUT I really want to lose weight. Can anyone help me? I've done research till I was blue in the face but I can't find much.
If there's ANYONE out there who has been successful in losing weight with hypothyroidism I would HUGELY appreciate your advice ! :)

Replies

• xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I'm 43 with Hypothyroidism in the same boat. Will come back to see any advise.
    Feel free to add me if you want. Been on meds for little over 1 yr.
  • roodica
    roodica Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If your TSH etc levels are in the correct range with your synthroid medication then you should have no problems losing. In fact as you're levels are actually monitored you are in a better position than someone who might be hypo and not realize it.

I take synthroid (had thyroid removed few years back) and I've had no problems losing.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    This group might interest you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have hypothyroidism. Don't let that condition make you feel you can't lose weight. You can. Make sure your levels are in the normal range. Once there, it's like everyone else...proper diet and exercise. You may lose more slowly than many, but you can still lose. I'm living proof. As long as my levels stay within the normal range, I have no symptoms.
  • Tankygirl73
    Tankygirl73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism for almost 9 years. And as everyone has said it is possible to lose weight but it is slower than people who don't have hypothyroidism. Diet is 80% of the game that's for sure. But diet and exercise combined is the best. Make sure to get your levels checked as often as your Dr suggests. You can lose weight but it is hard work! But I can tell you I feel so much better emotionally and physically when I lose weight and eat right and exercise. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Remember you can do it and your worth it!
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ive had it since I was 13. Actually lost 40 lbs when I started taking synthroid at that time. I lost lots of weight many times in my life. My problem was not staying consistent. I wasn't keeping up on my dr visits, and was at a high dose for quite a while. When they dropped me, I gained 20lbs real fast ( this past summer). Looking back, I was also eating A LOT! Keep up with your checkups. Log in here everyday and be consistent, you shouldn't have any problems! Remember you have to take your meds on an empty stomach. I take my first thing in the am, and wait an hour to eat. You can also take at night as long as you haven't eaten in a couple hours. DONT take medication along with vitamin D, it lessens the effect. Which ever, make sure you take it at the same time every day. These are some things I learned that the Dr's never told me!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have no thyroid. It's been removed due to cancer. Been on synthroid since 2005. I'm also anemic, and have other health issues. Over the last year and a half, I've lost about 110 pounds. These last 20-30 seem to be taking FOREVER!!! However, my point is, YOU CAN do it!!! It's not easy, but it can be done, as you see with my story and in others that have responded. Be sure to join the groups posted. Feel free to ask me or others like me questions.

Good luck!!! :)
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 with hypo (hashimotos) and I take levothyroxine. for me it came on very sudden and i quickly gained like 20 or 30 pounds but once I got the right dose and went gluten free I was able to lose all the weight, and then I started new rules of lifting and started getting a body a really liked. There's a group on here for hypothyroid I'm a member, maybe join that and check the threads. I have definitely been successful so it's doable
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid for like 13 years.

When I changed my eating habits (ate at a deficit for weight loss) and started to exercise I had no problem losing the weight.

I had been down 86lbs, but then I got slack and find myself at 75lbs lost....soooo what that tells me is I have to be good for the rest of my life or it may sneak back on.

From my experience losing weight wasn't hard, and having a under active thyroid wasn't an excuse.... keeping it off proves to be fun, but if you just stick to it you will be good!
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This group might interest you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have hypothyroidism. Don't let that condition make you feel you can't lose weight. You can. Make sure your levels are in the normal range. Once there, it's like everyone else...proper diet and exercise. You may lose more slowly than many, but you can still lose. I'm living proof. As long as my levels stay within the normal range, I have no symptoms.

Thanks for posting link to this group, I was unaware of it :)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid since I was 20 years old (many, many years ago). Until I went low carb, I couldn't lose weight. I don't go as low as Atkins but aim for no more than 50 net carbs and at least 100 grams of protein a day. Most of my carbs are from fruits and vegetables. I've never felt better and my meds were decreased last month. And exercise is mandatory, especially strength training.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I have been struggling for quite some time.... I have changed my diet COMPLETELY... More fruits and vegetables and whole foods, less meat, less processed foods... Exercise more, eat less... Just do what you already know to do... Work with your doctor....
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Well, I was diagnosed last year with it. I am 44. I have went to 238 lbs ( 5-18-13) to 199 lbs (8-20-13). I do three things.
    First, take levothyroxine 75 mgs every morning.
    Second, I work out on cardio machines 4-5 times a week (25 mins on an elliptical) at Planet Fitness.
    Third, write every things you eat into a Dietminder book then transfer to MFP. I keep my calories under 2000.

I went from having a 41 inch waist in 6-12 to having a 32.75 inch waist in 8-13.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm a 19 yr old female with hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed at 5 years old. I take synthroid.
    BUT I really want to lose weight. Can anyone help me? I've done research till I was blue in the face but I can't find much.
    If there's ANYONE out there who has been successful in losing weight with hypothyroidism I would HUGELY appreciate your advice ! :)

Hi, First make sure that your doctor is checking more than just your TSH. TSH checks your pituatary gland - NOT your thyroid. If your TSH is in "normal" range (for me I actually do better when mine is below the lab normal range) and you are still having symptoms (such as weight gain, fatigue, hair loss, etc) then you need to your your Free T3, Reverse T3 and Free T4 also checked. I also recommend getting your Vitamin D levels checked out. T3 / T4 actually checks your thyroid levels. I for one had normal TSH but was gaining weight and having other symptoms. I demanded to be put on Cytomel which is T3 because I felt from the labs my body was not converting the T4 to T3 correctly.

I have other medical problems that makes losing weight difficult but essentially, if you can find the right balance in your thyroid and medications then you should start to feel better!

Feel free to add me as a friend and good luck.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have no thyroid. It's been removed due to cancer. Been on synthroid since 2005. I'm also anemic, and have other health issues. Over the last year and a half, I've lost about 110 pounds. These last 20-30 seem to be taking FOREVER!!! However, my point is, YOU CAN do it!!! It's not easy, but it can be done, as you see with my story and in others that have responded. Be sure to join the groups posted. Feel free to ask me or others like me questions.

Good luck!!! :)

I also lost my thyroid in 2005 due to thyroid cancer and at the time was not overweight. Later I was diagnosed with Lupus and taking Cortisone everyday and having Cortisone shots every week and a LOTof self pity eating caused me to gain almost 40 kilos/80 pounds. I am still on my Cortisone regimen, but am well adjusted as far as my thyroid meds go and just like you I have had no major problem losing weight. Since April 10th, '13 I lost 33 pounds with modest but daily walking and an almost natural diet at 1200 calories due to age and lack of height ( 5 feet ).
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 with hypo (hashimotos) and I take levothyroxine. for me it came on very sudden and i quickly gained like 20 or 30 pounds but once I got the right dose and went gluten free I was able to lose all the weight, and then I started new rules of lifting and started getting a body a really liked. There's a group on here for hypothyroid I'm a member, maybe join that and check the threads. I have definitely been successful so it's doable

I have no thyroid due to cancer - does being gluten free make you feel better over all?
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    born with it, on meds at the age of ten.

Exercise is the key. Add me if you want :) I always log my exercise and im always active. I don't let my thyroid hold me down!! and no one else should either!!

when your on your meds, try hard and your lose :)
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options

I have no thyroid due to cancer - does being gluten free make you feel better over all?

Yeah, I felt a little better after starting the meds, but I still felt tired and just icky until i went gluten free. But from what i've read there does seem to be some link between hashimotos specifically and the gluten free diet working together well so i can't say how it will work with no thyroid and stuff but it's worth a shot right? My suggestion would be try it, and be honest with yourself, if you don't feel a real obvious difference don't stick with it because it's expensive and supposedly no health benefits if you don't need to be GF. (however it does make it easier to stay away from "bad foods" especially desserts and breads and eating out)
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Yeah, I felt a little better after starting the meds, but I still felt tired and just icky until i went gluten free. But from what i've read there does seem to be some link between hashimotos specifically and the gluten free diet working together well so i can't say how it will work with no thyroid and stuff but it's worth a shot right? My suggestion would be try it, and be honest with yourself, if you don't feel a real obvious difference don't stick with it because it's expensive and supposedly no health benefits if you don't need to be GF. (however it does make it easier to stay away from "bad foods" especially desserts and breads and eating out)

Thanks for the info!
  • IntoTheVortex
    Options
    24, hypo and taking Thyrax in the morning. Diagnosed about 2 years ago. Was actually told by my doctor that losing weight was going to be VERY hard - if not impossible, which is total bullsh*t. I'm 19kg down so far, and finally feeling better. You can do it too!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    37 with hypo I take 100mcg of levo, I take my pill at night bedtime this allows the pill to absorb and nothing interferes with it...thus weight loss happens with success....just my personal experience. Lots of pills and foods can interfere with thyroid meds.
This discussion has been closed.