Looking at pictures of myself

Options
And now I've gone and got myself feeling rubbish about myself again.

One is from Easter this year and omg, I'm huge. I then look at one before I had my 2 year old and I wish I was back there in the little size 14 Lipsy dress (uk). I don't have any recent pics of myself (avoid cameras like the plague) so now all I can see is the huge fatty in the Easter photos. Scared to take a new pic in case I still look like that.

Feel like crying.

Sorry, needed to get this out there.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Well, all I can say is I wish I had more pictures when I was higher body fat. It really helps gain perspective on weight loss.

Can miss the changes when you look at yourself every day and have nothing but the current to compare.
  • ShaniraS
    ShaniraS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as where your are "stuck" but look at it as where you are now headed. The weight game is a "forever" game. You will never stop thinking about what you eat. Even when you are healthy you will still consider how much of what you eat. It's life. Don't feel bad for yourself. It sounds like you have a family to take care of, and coming from a fellow mom, we always put ourselves on the back burner. What I did to help me on my quest is found some friends that were going to be as committed as I want be. I wanted people that would hold me accountable, encourage me, and praise me. I also researched foods. What foods are better eaten during the earlier hours and which ones I should really try to stay away from later in the day. We all fall off the wagon, but the main accomplishment is getting back up, dusting yourself off, and start again.

This is not easy and those who say it is lie. You can do this. Stop feeling bad for yourself and take control. You have the pictures of where you have been and now use that to change your future. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen over time. It is said that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your friends, and 12 for the rest of the world. You got this!!!!

Stay strong, and God Bless!
  • curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate it. Maybe in a few months I will feel brave enough to take a new picture and fingers crossed I will be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for your wise words.
  • sehirjne
    sehirjne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel. I am working my tail off right now and I tell myself don't look in the mirror, just don't look. I feel good about myself for working at my weight loss and why discourage myself by seeing what it is I'm trying to change. I will take a close look when I feel I have earned it.
  • angelgoone
    Options
    you have lost ten pounds since then! How could you write that off as anything far from impressive? Cheer up, chin up and carry on. You are doing well!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    The camera is the best way for us to be held accountable for who we are, for our goals we have set. Its the best way to face our demons and make us stronger. Its the best way to find even the smallest in progress in our journey to the ultimate goal. Dont be scared of something people will support and understand. Be scared of living in the dark and denial.
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh I know how you feel! I looked at pictures after my son was born three years ago and I'm a whale... The worst part was that after that I refused to be in pictures and there is now a gap where there are no pictures of me with my kids and that is so disappointing. Don't your body image get in the way of creating memories for you and your family. I starting placing my kids strategicallyy around me so as to hids all the things I thought was wrong with my body. Hang in there - it's so hard but you CAN do it. So,fix your hair, put some make up on and plop your kid in your lap like a human shield and smile like you're on the red carpet!
  • curly1980
    Options
    Wow you are all so encouraging. Having a day out with the kids today so will suck it up and take a pic! Then I have to figure out how to post on here!
  • violetense
    violetense Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally find it very triggering to find old photos of myself in my files, as I have lost and gained the same 30 pounds repeatedly over the past three years; currently, I'm only ten pounds away from my highest weight again, but have been making progress in shedding the pounds. Although I'm aware that I'm healthier overall at this point than I was when I first hit my high weight or even this weight, having lost a significant body fat percentage and put on more muscle, it's still frustrating and scary to know that I've gained back 20 pounds and I'm terrified of going back to where i started. I never want to feel that way again and I hate reminders that it's possible.
  • curly1980
    Options
    I took a pic...hated it. I can't see a difference at all. Maybe in six months time x
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Even if you hate the pics, I would take them for reference purposes.

The changes in my body from July 1 to now are subtle. But they're there.

When you just look at your diary, all you see are numbers and percentages, trend graphs and such.

I think it's helpful to be able to go "When I was eating like X, these were the results visually. When I changed my routine to Y Here's what happened to my body."

Slow and steady wins the race.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.
  • curly1980
    Options
    image_zpsb889d572.jpg
    image_zpse3e9533b.jpg
  • curly1980
    Options
    Well here they are. Accountability.

First is from Easter (celebrating Doctor Who series premiere...shhh) second is today. I know the first one isn't great for comparing but it's all I have.
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    We are typically our own worst critics. Don't be too hard on yourself. At the same time, side by side pictures can really show you the progress you've made. Also, if you look at them with the right mind set, they can be a great tool. Again, don't feel bad about yourself. This is a life long journey. Focus on improving yourself every day. It's not about the absolute value of where you are that is important. It's where are you today compared to where you were yesterday.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Just think how awesome the contrast will be with your "after" pictures!
  • IronMikeFox
    Options

First is from Easter (celebrating Doctor Who series premiere...shhh) second is today. I know the first one isn't great for comparing but it's all I have.

Um ... I hate to tell you this, but you look beautiful in both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you not happy with?!?!?
  • curly1980
    Options

Um ... I hate to tell you this, but you look beautiful in both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you not happy with?!?!?

Was hoping to see a difference as I've lost inches due to resistance training. I do keep reading in here that it takes a good 6-12 weeks to see a difference and its only been a month if me consistently training so maybe another month :-)