Female Calves... don't like mine

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman.
    I posted this ages ago.
    My calves are still about the same, if not half an inch bigger. Not much to be done about them, so I just built up more muscle in my upper body to compensate :D
  • faboysmiles
    Options
    sorry I just joined... however compliments :)
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    << My Calves are 14.5...... I don't think they are big by any means.
  • vavs33
    vavs33 Posts: 3
    Options
    my calves are the bane of my existence. i just measured them, 15.5" and thighs are 22.5"
    if there was a calf reduction surgery i would be the first in line : " < tears....
    look at how gross and fat they are! stuffed in my boots like sausages...if anyone has calf reduction tips PLEASE share?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Your calves don't appear to be large in the picture that shows them. Maybe getting leaner all over makes them seem larger because your torso is slimmer.

I put muscle on in the legs too. The only way I could make my calves smaller would be to lose muscle. I don't even do a specific exercise for calves. However, I like them the way they are.

Edit: ack - it's an ancient thread. I'm glad that you decided to go ahead and have strong, beautiful legs! And to the lovely woman whose post is above mine, you look gorgeous and your legs are amazing.
  • vavs33
    Options
    lithezebra: you are so sweet, thank you lovely. i hate to sound so self centered...but honestly, all the women on my mothers side have these beautiful slim legs...i'm always teased for having big legs. it would have been nice to fit in...but i guess i just have to deal with them. unless i have surgery--which im not sure even exists? they will always be thick unfortunately.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    There are many different ways for legs to be beautiful. Slim legs aren't the only beautiful legs. Yours have a great shape.
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Large calves aren't ugly by any means; they are beautiful. :wink:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    my calves are the bane of my existence. i just measured them, 15.5" and thighs are 22.5"
    if there was a calf reduction surgery i would be the first in line : " < tears....
    look at how gross and fat they are! stuffed in my boots like sausages...if anyone has calf reduction tips PLEASE share?

Your calves are smaller than my arms. I believe you are just self conscious and have a skewed perception of your own image. Your legs are by no means large.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Agreed - mine are gigantuous.

l950959152.jpg

Your calves are perfect...you have FAB legs!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Vavs, your calves look perfectly proportioned to the rest of you...:)

Before I started my journey, my calves were 18.5". I'm only 5"2.75". I loved them then even though getting into boots was nearly impossible. They're down to 15.75" now and I still love how toned and strong they look...especially in heels!
  • vavs33
    Options
    i just had my workout buddy take another measure of my calves and thighs...seems like o lost half an inch!!! 15 in calves and 22 inch thighs!!! yaaay!!!! the only thing i can credit to that is that i am walking a lot more. i have decided not to drive unless where i want to go is more than 2.5 miles. so basically i've just been getting about a half hour to hour of walking a day. im so happy. and thank you to how sweet everyone is on here. its really nice being told my calves aren't hideous <3 its hard to feel good about your shape when family & friends tease you and bf's make comments...
  • lithezebra
    Options
    its really nice being told my calves aren't hideous <3 its hard to feel good about your shape when family & friends tease you and bf's make comments...

The trick is to notice that, while some people admire slim legs, there are plenty of people who prefer curvy legs, muscular legs, soft shapely legs. I noticed some of them in this thread. Big calves are a variation, not a flaw.

Congratulations on seeing results from walking!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the sort of legs that build muscle fairly easily with exercise, and although I know that yes, there are far worse things to be worried about, and that many females want muscular calves, I don't like them. Muscle is great, to a degree, but for me personally, there are limits.

I generally do interval training on the stationary bike, outdoor cycling, interval training on the elliptical and some upper body work.
    I do not know which of these is likely to be contributing to my increased calf size.

I want to retain leanness, and to keep my metabolism running smoothly, and yes, be fit, but surely there must be some way to do this without ending up with 13.5 inch calves ? :/

The only thing to do would be let your muscles completely atrophy. Either that, or continue your upper body lifting to give symmetry to your top half. Oh, and learn to love your body. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hmm I have always had calves above 15" and I never minded..
    -> I hate fashion, high heels and boots. Proper footwear all the way!! :drinker:
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    its really nice being told my calves aren't hideous <3 its hard to feel good about your shape when family & friends tease you and bf's make comments...

The trick is to notice that, while some people admire slim legs, there are plenty of people who prefer curvy legs, muscular legs, soft shapely legs. I noticed some of them in this thread. Big calves are a variation, not a flaw.

Congratulations on seeing results from walking!
    +1 Slim calves are an automatic turn off for me. Learn to love what you have ladies; you're more beautiful than you realize.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

There is a calf reduction surgery. They literally remove muscle from your calves.
    m74_img1.jpg

Barbaric, but it exists. :/
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There is a calf reduction surgery. They literally remove muscle from your calves.
    m74_img1.jpg

Barbaric, but it exists. :/

What?! How does it work? I mean... you'll still need muscles to walk... :huh:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the sort of legs that build muscle fairly easily with exercise, and although I know that yes, there are far worse things to be worried about, and that many females want muscular calves, I don't like them. Muscle is great, to a degree, but for me personally, there are limits.

I generally do interval training on the stationary bike, outdoor cycling, interval training on the elliptical and some upper body work.
    I do not know which of these is likely to be contributing to my increased calf size.

I want to retain leanness, and to keep my metabolism running smoothly, and yes, be fit, but surely there must be some way to do this without ending up with 13.5 inch calves ? :/

First off, 13.5 inch calfs is not big in anyway, shape or form. I am not quite sure what you would consider a slim calf.
  • ellel1234
    ellel1234 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have large calves as well. I don't know why but my calves just seem to carry weight moreso than other girls. It's fine when I'm wearing pants and jeans for the most part. But I hate the way mine look in dresses and shorts. Oh well.... just another struggle. No matter how many calf raises I do, they still remain large. Have to grow to live with them though. I guess as I lose more weight, more weight will come from those as well.

But, I do feel your pain.