Random Question!

Options
Can your hands swell a little from being active, even if you're drinking about a gallon of water and have eliminated most if not all your salt/sodium intake?

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes, my hands swell even after a light workout. Not sure why!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    They sure can. If any muscle is overworked, the swelling that ensues is extra water in the cells - at least that's my understanding of it. Not fully versed in all the technicalities of it.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes, runners have problems with this. If your feet are swelling you can get elastic laces for your shoes that will help. If it is just your hands, you can help prevent this by keeping your arms bent at the elbow at a 90degree angle during the workout, ie. don't keep your arms down by your side. :flowerforyou:
  • John8188
    Options
    Random Answer:

Purple
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I run my hands swell----I don't wear my wedding rings because it gets really uncomfortable. It helps me to shake them to my sides every now and then. Soon after I'm done I can put my rings back on and they are loose! So yes, it's normal!
  • donya35
    donya35 Posts: 166
    Options
    Oh okay!! Thanks everyone!! I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. My hands swell when I'm at work and when I work out. I have a very active job chasing after kids, picking up 70+ pound kids, restraining them, etc. (I work with Special Needs kids that keep me moving at ALL times!) So I usually notice my hands start swelling about an hour and half into my day, when the kids are the most active...making me more active. :) So I guess that means that if my hands swell, then I'm okay and doing good!! :)
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Its a fairly common issue with runners. This article explains the causes better than I can.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/heart-and-cardiovascular/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100205913

When I feel my hands getting swollen I wiggle my fingers a bit, open and close my hands a few times (squeezing on the close) or shake my hands out. It seems to help relieve it a bit for me.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Yep, pretty common. Also, your body needs sodium, by the way, so don't eliminate it all.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When this happens during chi gong practice, we consider it to be a good thing.