IIFYM Questions

Options
MommyisFit
MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I am needing to increase my calories and I have seen IIFYM thrown around the boards often. I looked it up and it sounds like this may be what I need. My goal is to just lose inches on my hips and thighs. (I do workout and weight train)

I used the calculator and determined my macros. I was given 125g of protein, 50g of fat, and 103g carbs.

If I am understanding this correctly, the goal is to get as close to the protein and fat as possible - then the rest of the calories is carbs? Or do you have to hit carbs everyday too?

That seems like a TON of protein. On a normal day I get between 50-75g. I would have to just about double my protein intake while reducing the fat. How in the world is that possible? Other than egg whites, how can I get a lot of protein with very little fat? Any tips would be appreciated.

Based on my goal, does this seem like the right option for me? I have trouble eating enough with the way I typically eat and I need to increase my intake to fuel my workouts.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't know without your stats... but I'm 105lbs and aim for at least 87g of protein- more like 100g if I'm lifting... so they are probably correct. Protein and fats are minimums, the rest are carbs.

Jerky is good for protein, meats, fish, powders, bars, greek yogurts, beans.... that's all I can think of off top... lol
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't know without your stats... but I'm 105lbs and aim for at least 87g of protein- more like 100g if I'm lifting... so they are probably correct. Protein and fats are minimums, the rest are carbs.

Jerky is good for protein, meats, fish, powders, bars, greek yogurts, beans.... that's all I can think of off top... lol

Thanks for responding. I am 5'2" and 125lbs. I do lift currently and I am trying to increase lifting and reduce cardio. I may have to get a protein powder. I didn't think of that. The bars are gross and probably have to much sugar for me. (I am hypoglycemic.)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb I usually see is 0.8g protein per lbs of lean body mass and 0.35g fat per lbs of lean body mass. 125g seems like it might be a bit high (I'm 6'-1" and I shoot for 160g protein a day), but probably not much. To get your lean body mass:
    Weight x (1- body fat percentage as a decimal), so at 200 lbs with 20% body fat: 200 (1-0.2) = 160 lbs lean body mass
    Protein = 160 x 0.8 = 128g a day; Fat = 160 x 0.35 = 56g a day

Protein and fat are minimum goals (it's fine to go over some on either) and carbs are a maximum goal. Once you hit your minimums on fat and protein, the rest of your calories can be carbs, if you like. If you are looking for high protein, low carb and low fat options, morningstar, gardein and boca make a lot of good vegetarian proteins that fit the bill.
This discussion has been closed.