Calorie deficit and no weight loss

Hi everyone.

I am 22 years old girl. (5 foot 5 inches and 155lbs)

Recently, I tried checking my BMR and TDEE, and they were 1530 and 2300.

Of course i did the calculation honestly.

Since then, i have been eating 1800 calories per day( which is 500 calorie deficit from my TDEE) by working out 3 times of weight

training every week.

The problem is, i don't see any weight loss.

I mean i am much frustrated since i cannot feel any sign of losing weight.

Even though i am not losing pounds, i want to feel some sign of losing weight.

However i am not :(

Am i too hurrying? or should i make some change in my routine?

How long did you take to lose weight based on 500 calorie deficit of your TDEE.

PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    That's the trouble with TDEE you have no idea how much you're burning during exercise, TDEE calculators don't take that into account. Are you doing exactly the same exercise, for exactly the same time, each time you exercise? Again the TDEE calculator doesn't take into account the different types of exercise you may do it just says "work out 3-5 days a week" (for example)
    You may not be burning 2300 cals including exercise so you may not be getting a 500cal deficit.
    If I were you I'd aim for your BMR of 1530 and on days you exercise eat more.(that's just what I'd do)
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    1) How long have you been eating 1800 calories?
    2) Do you use a food scale to measure the food you're eating?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

^ This

If you are not weighing solid foods or measuring liquids there is a very good chance you are eating more, maybe way more, than you think you are.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member

I would also add
    3) Are you eating back exercise calories? (If you're using TDEE - 500, then don't, it's already accounted for in your daily allowance)
    4) Have you done any measurements? Have you lost inches anywhere? sometimes you lose a few inches before you really see it on the scale.
    5) How's your water intake? Also realize that if you're doing a new strength training regimen, your muscles may be retaining water, which can throw off your results on the scale.

It's okay to adjust your calories up or down as you feel necessary … maybe try 1600 for a while. BUT give any new calorie level several weeks (a month perhaps) to see any changes on the scale before you adjust again.
  • Also consider that your work outs could be adding muscle to your body, in which case you are still losing fat and getting into better shape. 1800 calories per day is the amount you would need to maintain your weight at a sedentary activity level assuming a normal metabolic rate. You may also want to review your diet. Are you tracking EVERYTHING you eat and drink and measuring as the other posters have suggested? Are you eating a balanced diet? How are you calculating calories burned? With a heart rate monitor, or just estimating? It is incredibly easy to over-estimate calories burned in an exercise. Further, if you have calculated your TDEE at a certain activity level that accounts for the amount of exercise you get, then you are basically double counting your exercise when you count them into your daily calories.
  • First of all, thank you so much for everyone who commented on my topic.

To add up more,I have been doing that routine about 3 weeks.

I dont use food scale, but i try to eat things after i accurately check nutrition chart on them.

I dont eat back exercise calories.

I keep eating 1800 calories everyday.

And finally...i dont see any losing inchs of anywhere in my body.

Oh and i drink not much water...
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    First of all, thank you so much for everyone who commented on my topic.

To add up more,I have been doing that routine about 3 weeks.

I dont use food scale, but i try to eat things after i accurately check nutrition chart on them.

I dont eat back exercise calories.

I keep eating 1800 calories everyday.

And finally...i dont see any losing inchs of anywhere in my body.

Oh and i drink not much water...

If I were you, I would purchase a food scale and weigh everything you eat for a few months. Sometimes when you're new the the game, it's very easy to eyeball incorrect portions. Sure, peanut butter might be 200 calories per serving, but unless you weigh out a serving, you probably are eating more calories than you think. Same with meats, grains, and even fruits and vegetables. When you're working with a moderate deficit, underestimating a small amount of calories here and there can easily put you at your maintenance level.
  • I started losing inches first before pounds and my friend was the opposite, but it took us some time to start seeing any weight loss and even when you do start to lose, you can go a few or several weeks before dropping any or anymore weight. Just be patient.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    The title to this thread is an oxymoron. If you are truly in a calorie deficit, then you will be losing weight. A few things could be happening. Your workouts(depending on what they are) can be causing water retention due to muscle repair, or high sodium/low water intake can cause water retention. You may have overestimated your BMR or TDEE. You may have overestimated your activity multiplier for TDEE. You may be underestimating your calorie intake or not being 100% accurate on your logging. The true TDEE of your body may be significantly different than your estimated TDEE.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    If you are not losing weight, you are not on a caloric deficit. Get a food scale, it is the only way.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    It takes longer than 3 weeks. Weight loss can take a lot of patience.

I agree though, buy a scale, weigh every thing. All the things. Weigh them.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    To add, if it's just been three weeks, give it some time. It WILL happen. Stick with it. You WILL be glad you did later.